For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
GeNeR4L's profile

3 Messages

Monday, October 2nd, 2023 4:29 PM

Download android app for my phone

I am using an android phone and I want to download applications for it outside of the play store. Where can I download and install? Can I download on Uptodown store

Will that affect my phone in the future

ACE - Guru

• 

1.2K Messages

7 months ago

@GeNeR4L 

I am using an android phone and I want to download applications for it outside of the play store. Where can I download and install? Can I download on Uptodown store

Will that affect my phone in the future

It depends on your tolerance for possible malware.

Realistically, you can get malware even from all those useless apps in the Play Store (like all those "flashlight" apps), but the risk is so much lower.

Outside the Play Store, there are only a few "stores" I personally trust.  And even then, you still need to be careful.  I only look for better known apps, or sometimes just older versions for whatever reason.

I tend to use app repositories, rather than third-party "app store" alternatives.  Although I do have the Amazon App store on my Samsung phone.  But only because we also have a couple of Amazon Fire Tablets in the house (even though I side-loaded Google Services and the Play Store on mine).  Uptodown seems legit reading up on it, although I have no experience with them.  F-Droid is another one that is well curated.  For repositories, APKPure and APKMirror are pretty good.

Just note that none of these places have paid apps, other than if they have their own payment methods built-in.  So hopefully you aren't looking for ways around that.

8 Messages

7 months ago

Certainly! To download Android apps outside of the Google Play Store, you can use alternative app stores like Uptodown. You can visit the Uptodown website on your Android device and search for the app you want to download. Then, you can download and install the app from their platform. Just ensure that you enable the option to install apps from "Unknown Sources" in your device's settings before installing apps from sources other than the Play Store.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.