Let AT&T help you elebrate your dad with Father's Day Gifts that connect us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
Mr.Springsteen's profile

Teacher

• 

2 Messages

Friday, March 31st, 2017 8:10 PM

AT&T poor signal strength

I have been a faithful AT&T Custer for the past five years and the signal in Pokipsy New York regarding phone calls as well as Internet have been poor and I've done nothing but got even more poor!!!!
I was connected to technical support a multitude of times and was even giving a free month service and that three months service was just as bad as the other months of service that I paid for...
In two different locations of residence for myself and family members as well as friends while inside the residence I have had to go outside and walk up and down the street to obtain a service necessary to continue a lengthy phone call as well as Internet service and this is quite embarrassing while other individuals using other internet services such as straight talk and Verizon and Boost Mobile had to go nowhere to utilize their phones in the same manner that I attempted to....

This does not say a lot for AT&T that I stuck with for more than five years with different phone numbers not saying that this would have made a difference but AT&T is terrible in providing a powerful service necessary so that I do not have to walk up and down the street leave a residence or stand up by a window to get a stronger service to utilize my phone and complete a task necessary for me to do so via internet or the phone calls that I'm receiving or making...

They have given me no choice but to change services and I'm sorry to say so because at one point in time I enjoyed you Liza AT&T while I was up in the capital of New York which is Albany and the signal there is incredibly strong but here in my Homestead of Poughkeepsie New York and across the river in New Paltz New York or Highland New York the signal is incredibly terrible..
Multiple times I've spoken to technical support and have gotten nowhere I'm sorry AT&T but you have lost a customer

Mentor

• 

14 Messages

6 years ago

I wrote ATT Mobile's CEO.  One of his minions responded.  Basic message:  change to another carrier!!!  I went to Consumer Cellular.  $10 cheaper per month and service is measurably better.  Sometimes I have to dial twice to get a call out, but it's nowhere as bad as with ATT--4 to 7 attempts to get one call out--even with my phone sitting on top of the signal booster.

Mentor

• 

14 Messages

6 years ago

I've been told that Verizon is better in my Los Angeles County area.  I went to the Verizon store and was told that I would HAVE to buy another phone.  Why?  They use CDMA technology, and have things sewn up so that other phones cannot be switched to CDMA.  I walked out.  

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I, as well, have had issues with signal in my area. I brought with me when I moved here to Tennessee, an iPhone 5c that I have had on at&t for about 3 or 4 years now, and I recently bought an unlocked Google Pixel 2, to add a second line. But when I put my AT&T SIM card into the Pixel 2, the service is full bars! But when I put it back into the iPhone, it drops calls, and gives me a range of signal from 1 or 2 bars of LTE, to no signal at all.... And my Pixel 2 occasionally drops calls too at full signal! I have had AT&T in this area before, but it's never gotten as bad as it is now.

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

So it is not just us. Att is just getting bad while charging full price for less service. Thanks for your response.

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I honestly have been trying to research and figure out if it was just an antenna issue on the iPhone, because that's where the main issue resides, and I recalled the iPhone 4 having a major antenna issue when it was released as well. Being as the iPhone 5c is made of a polycarbonate plastic, instead of the usual metals and aluminum (and the antennas are built UNDER the plastic casing), I have been lead to think it might be that issue however. As for my Google Pixel 2, I'm not 100% sure if it's just issues from being a mostly-CDMA device, ported over to a GSM network with a BYOP kit or not, but the issues still reside that need fixed on someone's end. I have just set up call forwarding, and popped in a SIM card for Google's Project Fi Network into my pixel 2, and I'm using that. It gets 100% better reception in this small town, and works seamlessly with the phone. So I guess I'm gonna have to pay $35 for AT&T prepaid, and an additional $60 for project fi, until I can figure out how to Port my number over or let my friends, co-workers, and family know I've received another new number. 

ACE - Sage

• 

118.2K Messages

6 years ago

@Impatiens wrote:

I've been told that Verizon is better in my Los Angeles County area.  I went to the Verizon store and was told that I would HAVE to buy another phone.  Why?  They use CDMA technology, and have things sewn up so that other phones cannot be switched to CDMA.  I walked out.  

It s PHONE limitation. 

Verizon is a CDMA carrier.  Your phone has to have CDMA hardware to work on a CDMA carrier like Verizon, Sprint or US cellular.  The rest of the world uses GSM technology 

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

That, they are. However, CDMA-Unlocked phones (most new Verizon Phones will come factory-unlocked, due to a legal battle) will work on GSM Networks, such as AT&T and T-Mobile, depending on the cellular band types. But it should be set up to where major phone companies, like AT&T and T-Mobile, should let someone be able to unlock their phone to a CDMA network as well, and request that phone makers, such as Apple and Samsung, create phones as such. But I don't understand why it hasn't happened yet, as the technology is possible for it.

Just another problem, waiting to be solved in the world today, eh?

Mentor

• 

14 Messages

6 years ago

I can't afford to add $60 to get what I'm paying $35 for.  So I switched to consumer cellular.  Call quality is a little less, but it's far more reliable.  Last time I talked to ATT, tech support told me that they were having an issue with antennas in my area, but were working on it.  Yeah, right.

Mentor

• 

14 Messages

6 years ago

Well, yes.  It IS a phone limitation.  I can't afford to shell out an additional $45 a month to get a CDMA phone, so I voted with my feet and switched to Consumer Cellular.

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

This is not a solution at all. I have uverse internet which is consistently inconsistent. So if you are on the phone with wifi calling and the internet goes out the call drops. Att has done me no favors whatsoever and I pay over 500.00 dollars per month for all my att services and I am not the least bit happy with any of them.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.