Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get the myAT&T app
Newton-W's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, September 10th, 2018 9:31 PM

Closed

Voicemail seems to be calling people?

This has happened a few times in the past weeks. I get a call from a number I do not know, I "reject" it, then when I get time (minutes), I block it. Then the same number calls again later, gets blocked and sent to voicemail. Now the creepy part. I get a voicemail notice, check my voicemail, and it is someone else's voicemail asking me to call back or someone saying "Hello?" "Hello?".

I keep up with scams and such, but this just sounds odd.

Samsung Galaxy J7 2018. New phone and AT&T account.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Newton

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

Your voicemail is not calling anyone. Most likely your number is being spoofed meaning those callers are receiving calls from scammers or spammers that are using caller id spoofing to make the call look like it is from your number. They are just calling back that number. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to stop it. The scammers typically move on to another number quickly.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you, sandblaster, for the speedy reply. However, maybe I wasn't clear. if you will, imagine calling someone and you get their voicemail that says "You have reached (insert name here). I can't answer the phone right now, so please try again later, or leave your N&N and I will get back with you" or similar greeting. These rouge voicemails start with a couple of rings, like you hear when you are making a call, then their greeting starts, hence my "feeling" that my system is making the calls. I'm not being called back, it sounds like I am actually getting someone else's voicemail box greeting.

Now, as a kid in the 60's (I'm dating myself here), we would prank call people and try to convince them that they had called us. Hey, I was a kid from a sleepy little town . But that is what it feels like to me. If this is indeed a scammer / spammer, what is the angle? That I might call the number back? Seeing if the robo-dialed number is valid? VM account active? I've researched this for weeks and can't get an answer. I came across an FCC alert that kind of gave some reasons, one of them kind of fit my scenario in that hackers will jack your voicemail and use it to make l/d  or international calls. But this doesn't seem to be the case, just other peoples VM messages being recorded on mine. Go figure 😉

Once again, thank you for your attention.

Newton

1 Message

1 month ago

When my wife calls me or almost anyone my caller ID says it’s voicemail calling and on my wife’s end or someone else who’s calling me they get my voicemail prompt when I answer my phone but then it kicks over to me so there’s some very odd things happening recently and I can’t get any answers from anyone at all everyone seems to be completely baffled 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.