Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get the myAT&T app
M

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, December 8th, 2020 12:26 AM

Transfer to Liberty

Hi, my account was transferred to Liberty Wireless as part of AT&T's sale of its assets in Puerto Rico and the USVI to Liberty that closed last month. I understand this was done automatically because my phone number has a (787) area code, which is the area code for Puerto Rico, despite the fact that the address associated with my account is in New York City. I opened my account with AT&T in New York City, and since I have been an AT&T customer, I have been a resident of New York City. The address registered to my account is in New York City, and there are no stores or service centers for Liberty in New York. I have been given the runaround by AT&T customer service and technical support who have transferred me from department to department, dropped my call, and only offered me as a solution that I should cancel my current plan and start a new plan with them with a phone number with a NYC area code, effectively erasing my identity, or switch to another service provide. This phone number, which I have had for over 20 years, is much like my name and part of who I am. AT&T's proposed solution is inadequate, and frankly disrespectful. I would hope they find a way to fix this as soon as posible, and would appreciate hearing from other similarly placed Puerto Ricans now living in the mainland US. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

232.1K Messages

3 years ago

We understand your frustration, but the factors of the decision to move customers to Liberty or keep them with AT&T was based on a combination of where they primarily use their phones, phone numbers and billing zip codes. Based on one or more of these factors, per our agreement with Liberty you are now a Liberty customer.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

3 years ago

@blaked 

You can't.  AT&T sold all of its Caribbean island service to Liberty.  AT&T is no longer a provider in the US VI. 

You do realize the network you would be roaming on as an AT&T customer, paying  roaming fees in the US Virgin Islands, would be the same network that you are currently using, Liberty mobile?

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

3 years ago

Unfortunately, that is the only solution if you want to use ATT. ATT will not port your number because of the area code. Apparently the agreement with Liberty says they get all those numbers regardless of where they are used. You can probably port your number to Verizon or T-Mobile. Maybe ATT will accept numbers from those area codes after some specific amount of time passes.

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Yep, same issue here. I live in the US and my phone was forcibly changed to Liberty. Verizon does not port 787 numbers. T-Mobile is the only one left at this point that will accept a 787 area code. I suspect that at some point T-Mobile will stop supporting this area code too. I am unhappy with the way AT&T did this whole process. I even called their support line and they assured me that my 6 phone lines would not be changed to Liberty, yet here we are. Not even an email letting me know the change was happening. This nothing new, Puerto Rican customers being treated like third class citizens. I lived it all my life. AT&T won’t do anything to fix this and that’s that. At least Liberty has really good customer support. So for now I’ll stick with them. 

• 

13 Messages

3 years ago

Dear AT&T & Liberty,

You have 30 days to return my account, billed at my home in Maryland, to AT&T, or I will be moving to welcoming provider, with a savings of $20/month.

I understand that by providing a given number of non-PR billed customer accounts to Liberty, helped AT&T profit from forcing US based customers to Liberty, without their knowledge, to give the illusion of a larger quantity of accounts/assets as part of the sale to Liberty.

Liberty should note that in 30 days, I will no longer be a customer of theirs,  nor AT&T, if my account is not returned to AT&T.

I would advise anyone with a billing address outside of PR, to promptly change providers promptly, if AT&T cannot fix this oversight.   Liberty has already claimed to me that there is nothing I can do as a consumer.   How typical of a PR Monopoly,  already flexing their grasp on consumers from the very start.  This is certainly just the start of things to come for consumers by Liberty, a Bermuda Corporation...

I have found one person at AT&T today that is working to see if this can be resolved.  I will post the results here and on other internet forums.

• 

13 Messages

3 years ago

Times up AT&T.  You have lost a customer since 2008 because of the Liberty transfer.  

I’ve switched all my lines to T-Mobile.  The paid for my financed AT&T phone, financed a new phone for my 2nd line, and   I now have unlimited data.  The best part my bill is $20/month less than AT&T !!!!

I also talked with real people through the entire process.  Goodby computer customer service simulating keystrokes and being on hold for 30 minutes 🤪

BEWARE!  Liberty refused to unlock my paid off phone.  AT&T could do nothing.  Liberty indicated they have 7 days by law to unlock the phone.  They then tried to sell me a phone plan and I would not have a gap in my phone service.  After gathering names, case numbers, and explaining I was taking this to the FCC, they unlocked my phone.   Typical Liberty muscle flexing.

Run to T-Mobile - Fast. 😉

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I have had enough of Liberty!  ATT has dumped us and transferred us to Liberty but the service is horrible.  Additionally, it seems the phone numbers have been shared.  I am now receiving strange (Edited per community guidelines)ual text messages that I constantly have to block.  Back to the horrible service.  I live on the western end of the island of St. Thomas, USVI.  We are experiencing "No Service"  several times a month but especially when there is a power outage.  I have elderly parents and cannot be without communication.  I reported the issue weeks ago and have not been contacted by Liberty, who said they would.  Even worse, credits are not given for the outages.

How can I switch to AT&T and live in the Virgin Islands?  I am willing to change my number if needs be.

Monique

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.