For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app

AT&T related help: Welcome back

Bluedog92139's profile

5 Messages

Saturday, September 2nd, 2023 10:51 PM

I have a neighbor who's Wi-Fi jamming

I have a neighbor harassing me that is using a Wi-Fi jammer signal (D47900) to knock me off my Wi-Fi. What can I do to prevent this from happening?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

8 months ago

It is illegal to use a jammer of any kind. If you can confirm that he's using a D47900, you need to call the authorities because there's nothing a carrier can do about that.

• Federal law prohibits the operation, marketing, or sale of any type of jamming equipment that interferes with authorized radio communications, including cellular and Personal Communication Services (PCS), police radar, and Global Positioning Systems (GPS).

ACE - Expert

• 

18K Messages

8 months ago

first it's illegal for him to use a jammer. See https://www.fcc.gov/general/jammer-enforcement#:~:text=Federal%20law%20prohibits%20the%20operation,Global%20Positioning%20Systems%20(GPS).

But a complaint to the FCC is probably going to take forever.  I guess you could file a police report since this qualifies as harassment. Or consult an attorney.

5 Messages

8 months ago

Thanks, OttoPylot, 

Whenever I get knocked off my Wi-Fi, I can see a Network that pops up on my iPhone quickly described as D47900, then it disappears. How can I trap it, if you know?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

8 months ago

Not sure what you mean by trap it but even if you can identify the source, you still need to involve the local authorities. Take a screen shot if you can when you see D47900 appear. It could be that the neighbor isn't targeting you specifically but is doing something else and you happen to be within range. Whatever the reasons, you need to get either law enforcement, or an attorney who is experienced in matters like this as @TexasBrit suggested. There is nothing we can do here other than suggest what we already have.

5 Messages

8 months ago

Thanks, OttoPylot,

You answered my question. I have my reasons to believe it is harassment. What I meant about trapping it, I hadn't considered the screenshot. But I think that will work if I can capture it fast enough, because it only stays up a second or two. There aren't any kids that live in close proximity to me.

Do you know if AT&T capture Wi-Fi fails?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

8 months ago

@Bluedog92139  AT&T does not log WiFi fails per se. There might be a fail indicator in the gateway logs but they wouldn't be of any help. They happen all of the time for lots of reasons and for various lengths of time. No provider does. The WiFi/router in the gateway is not very sophisticated in that regards.

5 Messages

8 months ago

Thanks, OttoPylot for taking the time to respond to my inquiry.

I have been dealing with harassment from this neighbor for several months. It is only recently that I'm beginning to understand why I have had so many problems with my Wi-Fi knocking me off over and over, day and night. I wasn't aware that jamming Wi-Fi signals was such a serious issue, maybe even criminal, until today.

I did fill out the FCC complaint online tonight, but I'm not sure what good it will do. He has backed off a bit in the past couple of days, maybe the word has gotten around to him that I'm now aware of what he has been doing.

I don't think he has gone away; it just may be my imagination, or a holiday weekend.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.