For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
AshleyA2018's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, August 27th, 2018 1:02 PM

Will AT&T offer a replacement for the Microcell?

Will ATT offer a replacement for the Microcell?  I see it will be Discontinued soon, and we have multi lines, so I was not sure if they plan on replacing the microcell with another device.  Thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

6 years ago

@Sipesrn - the iPhones are probably using your WiFi connection for data and only access cellular (when available) for voice. We've always recommended leaving WiFi enabled when using the MicroCell for that very reason. Some Android devices have a hard time differentiating data from voice. It's more of a function of the phone OS than the MicroCell itself. The MicroCell is basically just a dumb device that connects your cell phone to the AT&T Mobility Servers via your internet connection. We've been able to send/receive MMS/SMS messages to non-iPhone users when the MicroCell was down (which was rare in our case) by using our WiFi connection. Nowadays, we just use WiFi-C and have relegated the MicroCell(s) to the "electronics closet".

Rural areas are traditionally difficult for the MicroCell (as stated by us and in the documentation) because of the FCC E911 requirement (GPS coordinates matching the physical address that is in the referenced databases).

Other than upgrading your phones to WiFI-C capability (you didn't say which models of phones you have) and stop using the MicroCell, your only other options are to switch carriers, purchase and install a cellular booster (see my Cellular Booster Guide), or possibly try Google Voice.

The MicroCell service hasn't been shutdown yet, and it may still be up and running into next year but it will definitely die a slow death as AT&T allocates resources to newer technologies.

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

6 years ago

From all indications, the microcell is gone and won't be coming back. Most of the newer phones have the Wi-Fi Calling feature which is much easier to work with than the microcell and works about the same if not better. Just turn the feature on, connect to Wi-Fi, and you're there. It also lets AT&T avoid having to send out and manage microcells, so I doubt AT&T will be going back.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

6 years ago

@AshleyA2018 - Sales of the MicroCell were discontinued at the end of 2017. AT&T will still support it (whatever that means) but the service itself will be discontinued altogether, probably without much advance notice unless I an allowed to announce in a post beforehand like I did last year. My guess is that sometime around the end of this year or early next year. What AT&T, and us recommend now is WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) if your phone is capable. Otherwise, you'll need to purchase a cellular booster (see my Cellular Booster Guide, link is in my sig line), switch carriers, or possibly try Google Voice.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Hi there!

Why would ATT be making me purchase something to get cell service when that is what I pay them for?

I currently have 3 lines. Two are iPhones and one is a Samsung. When the MCell is down, we aren’t able to text to/from the Samsung or to any non iPhone, but we can send iMessages on the iPhones. 

Am am I missing something? Is there a way to still send/receive texts on androids without cell service?

we are rural and have never gotten any service in our area and have had to relay on the MCell basically forever. I’m not sure what our next step should be and shame on ATT for not putting out an announcement! 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

@Sipesrn wrote:

Hi there!

Why would ATT be making me purchase something to get cell service when that is what I pay them for?

They agree, which is why the M-cell is phased out and most of the iPhone Samsung and LG phones have Wifi calling (up to 4 year old phones). 

I currently have 3 lines. Two are iPhones and one is a Samsung. When the MCell is down, we aren’t able to text to/from the Samsung or to any non iPhone, but we can send iMessages on the iPhones. 

ATT branded Samsung phones running android 6 are Wifi calling capable. 

Am am I missing something? Is there a way to still send/receive texts on androids without cell service?

we are rural and have never gotten any service in our area and have had to relay on the MCell basically forever. I’m not sure what our next step should be and shame on ATT for not putting out an announcement! 

Sounds like Wifi calling is not turned on any of your phones.

iPhone:    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203032

Android:  settings.   Connections.  Advanced calling.   Wifi calling.  Turn on and verify E911 address 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Ok so thank you everyone that responded and I would like to say I have
turned on WiFi calling on all phones and it is working!

Also, I would like to say that I am a nurse and not versed in any type of
tech if it isn’t hooked up to a patient. That being said, the wording “WiFi
calling” to me and maybe others that aren’t so tech savvy, means making a
call on WiFi. So I had no idea what so ever that we could turn that on and
text that way, hence we could have gotten rid of our MCell awhile ago.

Thanks everyone for your help!

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

@Sipesrn

Awesome.  There is always a geek on the forum for non human sort of technical stuff.  

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

6 years ago

@Sipesrn - you're welcome. We deal with these sorts of issues all of the time and forget that not everybody is up to speed with the latest technology and buzz words. It's hard to help folks online because we don't want to sound like we're talking down to them.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

It's a shame att won't allow none att phones to use there wifi calling feature I purchased note 8 unlocked att would not let me use it I bought unlocked note 10+ and they still won't allow it. Why? 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

5 years ago

@Bogacduman - this is not a MicroCell question. If you have WiFi-C questions, you need to ask that in the appropriate cell phone forum. If you purchased the unlocked phones online, or if they were purchased overseas, that may be the reason.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.