Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
F

• 

4 Messages

Wed, May 20, 2020 2:08 PM

Microcell Activation

I bought a microcell on ebay and i'm trying to activate it, but the activation website sends me into a redirecting deathspiral which ends in an error message. i called AT&T support and they could not figure out why . they gave me a casenumber, but never called back or fixed it either. is there another way to activate the device?

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.4K Messages

5 months ago

1. Are you an AT&T postpaid account user?
If not you cannot use MicroCell.
Was the MicroCell deactivated by previous owner?
2. Does the previous owner did not deactivate the MicroCell it cannot be activated on someone else's account. Contact the original owner and find out if they officially deactivated the device through their online account or by calling AT&T
3. Do not use the app oh, it does not work hasn't worked in years. You must use the online Activation Portal

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.7K Messages

@lizdance40 I need to get up earlier if I'm to answer these MicroCell questions before you :-)

@fritz89 answer the above questions and then get back to us. But at the very minimum, do not use the mobile app to register/activate. Use the web based portal instead. I also might add at this point that the MicroCell is designed for land-based internet service only (DSL, cable, or fiber). It is not designed for satellite or wireless broadband. It can work but is not reliable so AT&T and us do not support those types of connections.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.4K Messages

Or stay up late. 😉
I've been getting up as early as 5 am, which is 2 your time.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

• 

4 Messages

I'm a regular wireless costumer, not pre-paid.

I do not know if the previous owner de-activated it, I can't get that far in the process to tell.

I am using the web based portal at www.att.com/att/microcell.

once i login with my AT&T id, it redirects and redirects and eventually says something about technical difficulties, too many redirects...

Tried it in incognito mode, cleared my cookies, tried on different computers, tried it on the browser on my phone, always the same message.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.7K Messages

Usually, if the device was not deactivated by the previous owner you will get an error message indicating that the MicroCell is registered to another owner. As a side not, the serial number of the MicroCell is registered to the account holder's post paid AT&T cellular account thru the phone number of the account holder.

You've already done what I would suggest (using web based access and not the mobile app, clearing cookies, etc). I would try a different browser because sometimes Firefox, Safari or what ever have issues with the portal and just switching browsers may correct that. There could also just be a technical issue with the portal and you'll have to wait. I don't think AT&T has stopped accepting registration/activation of 3G devices yet but I am looking into that.

If you need the MicroCell for poor in-home coverage you really should think about upgrading to WiFi-C if your phone is capable.

AT&T MicroCell Support is basically useless so your help options are limited. Who is your ISP and what kind of connection do you have?

• 

4 Messages

i tried different browsers (Chrome, Edge, Explorer).

I have xfinity, but I've tried it on my phone (not on wifi), no luck

unfortunately my phone does not allow use of Wifi-C because i bought it unlocked.

AT&T got back to me and said they would have it resolved in 24 hours.

i hope it works.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.7K Messages

We have Comcast as well and when I setup my MicroCell(s) to test for someone, there are no issues. So it's not blocked ports on the Comcast side. My iPhone 8 Plus is unlocked and it works just fine for WiFi-C. So do my kids iPhones which are all unlocked at various models of iPhone.

Are you using Comcast-supplied equipment? I use a Motorola DOCSIS 3.1 modem and the Negrear Orbi Mesh WiFi system.

I would be interested in hearing if one, AT&T does resolve it within 24 hours and two, what they did.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.7K Messages

@lizdance40 If you get up that early, then I'll just let you field any questions before 8am PST and then you can toss the ball in my court 😉

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.4K Messages

Nice try man. I still bow out and tag you in due to your superior knowledge and information. You the chef, I'm just the hostess seating the patrons.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.7K Messages

@lizdance40 "You the chef, I'm just the hostess seating the patrons."

Now that's funny!

• 

2 Messages

I tried multiple times at att.com/att/microcell and eventually it worked; I was able to register the device. (Oddly, it took three partially successful attempts before the process was completed, but it did work.) After I got the email that the device was registered it didn't go online but a power down and up and it began offering cell service. Unfortunately it didn't stay up but I think it's because I had the wrong power adapter. (Ebay seller told me this unit came without the adapter. I chose a 12V AC adapter from my boneyard but I see now from online specs that this device wants 12V DC, not AC.)

I didn't know that AT&T plans to terminate support for this produce though that's understandable; thank you for that information. The build date on my Microcell is 2013 which is of course ancient for technology.

If I can get Wi-Fi calling to work on our four AT&T cell phones then I won't need the MicroCell. We have four iPhone XR's. My wife's and mine work flawlessly in our one-bar reception home; they must be using our Wi-Fi. We just bought used XR's for two of our kids and they drop calls, even though the Wi-Fi Calling is on for their phones as well. Theirs are refurb phones purchased unlocked. I'm now investigating whether that might be the problem.

• 

2 Messages

4 months ago

Any luck on this? Just today I got a MicroCell from ebay and am having the exact same issues as you, unable to make it through the activation process. I've tried Chrome, Explorer and Safari with varying results, none successful.

Where I worked four years ago I set one of these up and it worked flawlessly.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.7K Messages

@utilajeff Try to login to AT&T.com. Then login to your account, search for MicroCell Maintenance and then go from there. That's what I had to do a couple of weeks ago to check to see if I could still get to my myMicroCell Settings page. I was able to do so even though my MicroCell is kept offline unless I need to check something for someone. We've been using WiFi-C exclusively for a couple of years now.

What I'll do tomorrow is see if I can get back to my myAT&T MicroCell Settings page and write the steps down if successful and post them.

Do keep in mind that purchasing used MicroCell's, especially from eBay can be an exercise in futility if the original owner hasn't deactivated because AT&T will not do that for you. Also keep in mind that the MicroCell service is going to be terminated within a year or so so it's doubtful that AT&T is going to spend any additional resources on keeping the service operational and that includes the MicroCell Settings page.

• 

4 Messages

@utilajeff 

I could not get it to work and still can't access the website for some reason. i used the online support chat function and the third guy i chatted with was finally able to register the device for me. He did the whole registration/authorization for me online, adding the allowed numbers and all. took a while, but it works beautifully now. i still can't access the site, no idea why, but as long as it works i don't really care, because i can finally make phone calls at my house. keep pushing with the online guys, eventually you get the right guy that gets it done.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.7K Messages

@fritz89 I'm glad that you actually found someone at AT&T who could help you. I have quite a few contacts within AT&T and I couldn't get a viable answer as to the Activation page. I'm going to try some things tomorrow and if they work, I'll post the results. In the meantime, you might want to start to plan for switching to WiFi-C because AT&T is going to slowly let the MicroCell die as far as support goes and then the service will go away entirely within a year or so. I've been pushing for a long time to get AT&T to give current, registered MicroCell user advance notice of the sunset date for the MicroCell service but nobody wants to commit to that so be prepared.

• 

3 Messages

What is Wifi-C and how do you get it?

• 

3 Messages

Also - I purchased my Microcell on ebay. I went through the activation process on the att website and even received a "confirmation of device setup". The email I received said that it would take up to 90 minutes for the microcell to be fully activated and that I would receive a text and an email telling me when it was ready. Well, it's been almost 6 hours and I haven't received the text or the email. My microcell has 2 lights on: a circle with a vertical line through the middle of it and the other light looks like Saturn. The email says that I can check the progress of the activation but the link just leads me to more information on how to activate the microcell. Eventually, I get an error saying I need to get rid of my cookies - which I have done multiple times. After reading previous similar problems, I fear that I have just wasted my time. Any suggestions? Do you think that I really did get it set up since I got a confirmation by email?

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.7K Messages

@RDlee We need to know which model of MicroCell you have. Did you get the User Guide because that explains which lights are which. It really is helpful if we are to offer you some guidance.

Based on what you wrote, the "circle with a vertical line going thru it" sounds like the GPS indicator and the one that looks like "saturn" is the ethernet light. What color are the lights, green or red? Is the power light on and is the 3G light on. If so, what color are the lights?

Was the MicroCell deactivated by the previous owner? If not, you won't be able to register/activate the MicroCell until the original owner does that.

What kind of internet service do you have?

Do you have a post paid AT&T cellular account?

Please answer the above questions because it will make it a lot easier if I am to help you. There's also lots of issues right now with the MicroCell Settings page and I'm not sure if AT&T is even registering/activating new 3G devices because of the upcoming shutdown of their 3G network. If they do register/activate it, support will become less and less because it's doubtful that AT&T is going to allocate resources to a product that they will shortly no longer support.

Keep in mind that the MicroCell reached its EOL at the end of 2017 and the service itself will be shutdown in about a year or so once AT&T shutsdown their 3G network. WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) is what AT&T and us recommend now.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.7K Messages

@utilajeff These forums are all messed up again so it's difficult to keep posts coherent and together.

For WiFi-C to work, it's best that you keep the MicroCell off (powered down), otherwise the phone will try to connect to the strongest signal (the MicroCell's 3G signal or your WiFi), which can fluctuate, and that may result in call quality issues. Make sure WiFi i enabled as well. It's not the same thing as WiFi Calling. You may have to replace or upgrade your SIM cards as well so that's something you can ask AT&T about. Your account may need to be provisioned for WiFi-C but that's at no cost to you, other than the SIM card.

Your iPhones will have alpha tag in the upper left corner that will indicate your cellular signal strength, AT&T, Wi-Fi and the WiFi signal strength in that order if you are connected to your WiFi for WiFi-C.

• 

3 Messages

The 2 lights are green. It's a 3G microcell (white). It's model DPH153-AT. I don't know if the previous owner deactivated it. I bought it on eBay and the seller said it was "new" and "unused". The parts were all there but there was no manual. I use Comcast as the internet provider. I don't think I have a post paid AT&T account since I don't know what that is.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.7K Messages

@RDlee If the MicroCell was new and unused then it should have come with the manual. If it wasn't deactivated, then you won't be able to use it. A post paid account you basically pay a monthly bill, instead of pre paid where you pay in advance for a period of useage. Post paid accounts are required for the MicroCell.

White MicroCell LED’s, top to bottom: Power, Ethernet, GPS, Computer, and 3G. So which lights are lit and what is the color?

The DPH-153 was the second iteration of the MicroCell.

• 

4 Messages

Is there a way to prove to a purchaser that I deactivated my microcell? It was actually deactivated due to no activity. I confirmed with AT&T twice that the serial number of the microcell is not associated with any accounts. The purchaser is complaining that it is still connected to an account. I need better documentation that it's been deactivated.

(edited)

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.7K Messages

@salind If the MicroCell has been properly deactivated (by you, not AT&T due to inactivity) then there should be no problem, in theory, in registering/activating it by another user.

Documentation is of no help because the activation and registration is an IT thing so it's a programming issue, and being as AT&T is getting close to shutting down the service fixing issues with the MicroCell Settings page, accounts, etc is not a priority issue.

Are you or the person you sold it to able to access the myAT&T MicroCell Settings page? There are lots of issues with accessing it via a web browser (the mobile app is totally useless and has been for a few years).

• 

4 Messages

I’m not sure if it was deactivated by me or by AT&T due to inactivity. When I call AT&T, they keep telling me it is attached to NO ACCOUNT and should be available to new owner. The purchaser is from eBay. He says AT&T are telling him it’s still registered to another account. I think he may have just changed his mind on the purchase. When I login to AT&T and then go to att.com/microcell, I land on a page which tells me how I might reactivate a microcell. It lists NO devices on my account. I also tried to go into microcell management myself following instructions in this thread but it no longer shows a microcell serial number associated with any of the phone numbers on my account. I was able to use the iPhone app and successfully typed in the serial number to start the process and then I aborted it. I think that tells me the serial number is still good. The tech support agents also successfully looked it up as I stated. Ugh. I’m at a loss to prove it. As I said, I think the buyer changed his mind or couldn’t get the setup to work for some other reason. 

(edited)

• 

4 Messages

This is what I get now when I go to Att.com/microcell  if he plugs it in for a while, will I see it and be able to deactivate it properly?
OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.7K Messages

No. That's just a Support document. You need to be able to access your myAT&T MicroCell Settings page which is where you can register, activate, deactivate, add numbers to the Approved Users List, etc.

The MicroCell system is really messed up now so what AT&T says they can do internally and what an end-user can actually do is not communicating with each other. Personally, I wouldn't sell or purchase a MicroCell right now because the service is having major issues as far as settings go and its sunset time is rapidly approaching. I have three MicroCell's (even though I've been using WiFi-C for a couple of years now) and I won't be selling them. They just look nice sitting on the closet shelf.

(edited)

• 

4 Messages

Thank you. 

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.7K Messages

You're welcome. If your the seller, you might want to consider refunding the money.

Get started...

Ask a new question