For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
hocktom's profile

Mentor

• 

80 Messages

Friday, September 12th, 2014 1:48 PM

Online TV Listings not working at all

UVerse used to have a nice interface for online TV listings. I believe it was designed by Yahoo.  However, a few months ago, UVerse adopted a new format. For a while, you could still get the old one if you knew the link, but it finally disappeared a month or so ago.  With it went some of the nicer features, like being able to view the listings for a particular channel in 24-hour increments.

Anyway, now even the sucky new TV listings don't work for me at all.  When I bring them up, I can see the first few channels, but as i begin to page through them, all the data disappears after about five screens.  I can still the grid and the channel names and numbers, but all the "cells" are blank.  If I rapidly scroll farther down, I can see data briefly populate the cells, but as soon as I stop moving it disappears.

I've tried accessing the listings on different computers using different browsers, and I get the same results each time.  This sucks.  I want remote listings I can access from anywhere so I can set recordings and so on.  This is a feature we are supposed to have.

Mentor

• 

80 Messages

10 years ago

Sorry, I couldn't log in from home last night because, apparently, the system thought this connecrtion was still open (it wasn't).

Anyway, I upgraded FF from v. 26 to v.32, and the grid started working.  Still, it's a buggy, less featured system than what we had before.  It wasn't changed for better performance for us; it was changed to market LIVE.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@hocktom wrote:

Sorry, I couldn't log in from home last night because, apparently, the system thought this connecrtion was still open (it wasn't).

Anyway, I upgraded FF from v. 26 to v.32, and the grid started working.  Still, it's a buggy, less featured system than what we had before.  It wasn't changed for better performance for us; it was changed to market LIVE.

Well, you got it working and that is the key, right?  As far as buggy, I'm not sure if you mean how it dithers / displays / draws in, features or ????.  I actually found it to be rather competent, compared to other online Guides.  Please advise but at least it is somewhat functioning for you.

I tried three browsers and FF seemed the worst at speed for the Guide.  When it was slow going, I noticed that it kept saying "Firefox is sending Mozilla usage stats" (or something similar) so I wonder if FF was slowing down so it could do some market research?

Mentor

• 

80 Messages

10 years ago

@dhascall wrote:

As far as buggy, I'm not sure if you mean how it dithers / displays / draws in, features or ????.  I actually found it to be rather competent, compared to other online Guides.  Please advise but at least it is somewhat functioning for you.

I tried three browsers and FF seemed the worst at speed for the Guide.  When it was slow going, I noticed that it kept saying "Firefox is sending Mozilla usage stats" (or something similar) so I wonder if FF was slowing down so it could do some market research?

The whole setup is much more tenuous than the old one.  When I loaded it in IE, it was incredibly slow (almost a minute to load the higher channels), and I felt like it could lock up at any moment. I don't trust it with FF either.

The filters are erratic and produce illogical, virtually useless results. Try "HD" and see what I mean.  It will leave many, many HD programs greyed out.  I haven't tried it lately, but selecting "movies" left out all of TCM and other dedicated movie channels.  In short, the filter feature sucks. They just stuck something on there that doesn't even begin to work right and called it a day.  I don't like the new selection feature either.  Before, if you clicked on a program title, you got a pop-up that didn't disturb the main grid.  Now if you select a program the whole grid disappears.  So far, it's been coming back, but I don't trust it, and this seems a much less solid approach.

Finally, several of the most desirable features of the old guide are gone.  There are no more "favorites," and it's no longer possible to isolate one channel and look at a larger block of listings -- two features I used all the time.

I've been using Firefox since version 2 or something, and I've never seen the kind of message you're describing.  You might want to check your settings and stop allowing it to phone home or whatever.

***EDIT - I see that the filters work differently in different browsers, another indication of fine programming.  But here's a challenge -- select the "HD" filter and then navigate to Turner Classic Movies HD -- 1790.  Hey, where is it?

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

10 years ago

@hocktom 1790 notoriously does not have shows marked HD, but are high definition due to film being used.  Therefore they do not show up on the HD filter. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATTUverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Mentor

• 

80 Messages

10 years ago

@mibrnsurg wrote:

@hocktom 1790 notoriously does not have shows marked HD, but are high definition due to film being used.  Therefore they do not show up on the HD filter. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATTUverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

I migrated to Uverse from Comcast about five years ago, and one of the first things I noticed was how primitive AT&T's efforts to categorize programs was.  For example, if you selected "sports," you got dedicated sports channels only.  If the Kentucky Derby or a football game was on ABC, too bad; that didn't count. That may have changed with the new system, but it's making it's own mistakes.  TCM is an example.  The application is obviously relying on some tag to classify programs that is insufficient or inaccurate.  It's TCM HD for god's sake.  All the HD filter should do is isolate the HD channels -- show everything from 1000 up. That would be useful.  On the other hand, NOTHING below 1000 is ever going to be HD, so why waste time parsing all those superfluous results when you're just going to get half of the real ones wrong anyway?

The only good thing I see about the new listings grid is that it does give the release year for movies, which it didn't used to do; however, it no longer has the "cast and crew" tab.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

Well, forgive me while chuckle just a bit.  Please forgive me, not being mean just a bit of what I will call realistic honesty.  First, "The Online Guide isn't working!"  "It's not working"  and then a bunch of "you didn't read my post" and so on.  Second, after you upgraded Firefox to a version 6 versions newer, you said, "well it's working but it's not fast" "It's slow" and so on.  I, and about a half a dozen other users tried a variety of browsers including FF and it worked fine.  Your PC or net connection slow?  Then thirdly, it's the filters aren't working  or not designed right.  I then clicked on your name and read your posts - they all seem to be centered on the guide.  You are right, the Guide isn't perfect.  When I left Comcast in 2008, U-Verse's WRA (Online Guide) was being rolled out.  It was far better than Comcast's as Comcast didn't have one, lol.  If the Guide is that big of deal, you may want to 1) use an independent Guide such as Titan TV or Zap2It and when you find something to record, then go into the WRA website or 2) find a provider that is perfect in every way.  Please understand that this is primarily a subscriber to subscriber support mechanism and your complaints about "Guide Filters" and the like, will not be directed to change agents at AT&T.  Good luck @hocktom 

Mentor

• 

80 Messages

10 years ago

@dhascall wrote:

Well, forgive me while chuckle just a bit.  Please forgive me, not being mean just a bit of what I will call realistic honesty.  First, "The Online Guide isn't working!"  "It's not working"  and then a bunch of "you didn't read my post" and so on.  Second, after you upgraded Firefox to a version 6 versions newer, you said, "well it's working but it's not fast" "It's slow" and so on.  I, and about a half a dozen other users tried a variety of browsers including FF and it worked fine.  Your PC or net connection slow?  Then thirdly, it's the filters aren't working  or not designed right.  I then clicked on your name and read your posts - they all seem to be centered on the guide.  You are right, the Guide isn't perfect.  When I left Comcast in 2008, U-Verse's WRA (Online Guide) was being rolled out.  It was far better than Comcast's as Comcast didn't have one, lol.  If the Guide is that big of deal, you may want to 1) use an independent Guide such as Titan TV or Zap2It and when you find something to record, then go into the WRA website or 2) find a provider that is perfect in every way.  Please understand that this is primarily a subscriber to subscriber support mechanism and your complaints about "Guide Filters" and the like, will not be directed to change agents at AT&T.  Good luck @hocktom 

Well this time you didn't read my "other" post, which was about the onscreen guide -- the one on the television.  That situation had absolutely no relationship to this one.  But yeah, I'm ranting. I get frustrated about things I can't change.  Sorry.  Nevertheless, FF26 is an explicitly supported browser. I'm still using it at the office, where the online guide still does not work.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@hocktom wrote:

@dhascall wrote:

Well this time you didn't read my "other" post, which was about the onscreen guide -- the one on the television.  That situation had absolutely no relationship to this one.  But yeah, I'm ranting. I get frustrated about things I can't change.  Sorry.  Nevertheless, FF26 is an explicitly supported browser. I'm still using it at the office, where the online guide still does not work.

No, I understand that you are talking about the TV version of the Guide. 

I have a hunch that the Guide will work fine on FF 26 if I downgrade and try it on my PC's.  I think that you have some setting on your FF's that is affecting it.  BUT FF does seem to be the most problematic browser but when it was slow, it was sending up user stats which 1) could slow or even stop page loading and 2) will drive privacy nuts, well, nuts!  Chrome and IE worked fast at displaying the grids.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

10 years ago

@dhascall wrote:

I have now tried this on a Win 7 PC w/Chrome and a Win 8 PC, w/Chrome.   Just for shiggles - I tried it on IE11 on my Win 8 PC.  Perfect.

The plot does thicken s bit - not so good with Firefox.  It took a bit longer for the Guide on FF to complketely populate and sometimes not at all.  However, if I clciked the down arrow on the Guide, it did draw in the grids.

So, it could be a FF only issue  @aviewer @texasguy37 @oufanindallas can you three try this link and see if it worls?

It works fine for me in Chrome.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

Cool!  Sorry I doubted you but when I tried them on two computers and four or five browsers and they were okay, I thought that it must be a flash or browser issue.  Enjoy.  It should be noted that it is hard for any web dev to ensure that pages display great on Chrome, FF, IE, Safari and when FF releases new browsers, every 6 weeks, it can be a pain.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.