Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

buflosknr's profile

Contributor

Wednesday, April 24th, 2019 5:51 PM

DTV ebay promo DTV002841

recently contacted by person claiming to be from direct tv billing and promotion dept about a direct tv /ebay promotion.  need to purchase $280 up front in ebay gift cards from Walgreen call 888 323 2189 with card number(s)and get premium channel pack for 69.99 per month for 20 months with no bill for next 4 months complete by 8p.m.  and get visa credit card for $150. Pro code DTV002841.  Anyone else getting this?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

1.9K Messages

5 years ago

That is a scam. There is no such DTV promotion. Hope you didn’t fall for it.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

19.7K Messages

5 years ago

Anything requiring gift cards or other non traceable means of payment is a scam.

Employee

• 

144 Messages

5 years ago

Like @sandblaster says, 100% scam.

5 years ago

Phone call from 1-800-588-2020 (notice the 5 instead of 2 for AT&T)  I just got off the phone with a guy claiming the same thing....  DirecTV & AT&T promotion (fronted by Ebay)…  Asking to confirm how much I paid per month (strange question if your system is in front of you).  I'm eligible by random selection to be offered to pay $149.99 for the next 2 year provided that I could 2 months up front.  Sounds reasonable, but then came the kicker....  All I needed to do was go to a local grocery or something that carried giftcards and purchase one for $300 and provide the number on the back to DirecTV / AT&T customer service.  I asked why I needed a giftcard that I would just call directly and pay upfront.  "No, no, no, nothing is free"....  I would need to purchase the Ebay gift card because Ebay is fronting this promotion.  HAHA....  The guy claimed to be with AT&T / DirecTV Promotion Dept so I called him out and said that I worked with AT&T and there was no such dept.  He then told me to call 1-877-283-7532 ext 1 to confirm everything...  Um ext 1 seriously?!  HAHA...   I just hate these scammers....  It's just really unfortunately that people will believe this as it sounded very convincing.

5 years ago

I got the same offer from a person promoting 24 month of tv & internet service for $69. I had to purchase an Ebay gift card fo $280 to prepay the first four months & if I did it today I would also get a Visa gift card for $100. Being a retiree from ATT, I called that department & they knew nothing about it. I had been given the promo code of ATT0839042 & the tel number to call was 855-669-9980. I tried calling that number but got either a fast busy or "your call cannot be completed." I would have been stuck with an Ebay gift card if I had not done some research.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Today is July 5, 2019, and I was just called with the same scam. When I confronted the man, he had no reply. I hung up.

Contributor

5 years ago

I was just contacted with the same scam.  DT4781C

Contributor

5 years ago

Me too. I just received the call this afternoon. 

DTV196-B32.

Of course, I was so temped... but I realized it was a scam. 

But how do they know my home address? I think this is a serious problem and DirecTv must take an action to make this stop.

They knew I have an account with DirecTv, my home address and matched phone #. So, that I suspect insider threat.. Does someone inside of DirecTv sell customer information?

@HootonD wrote:

I was just contacted with the same scam.  DT4781C

Thank goodness for all of your responses to this scam. I just received the call and knew that it had to be untruthful when I was told to purchase an Ebay gift card to pay for the first two months. I had just paid my bill for the month of July. He also gave me a bogus number ("Your call cannot be completed as dialed.") when I said I needed to have written evidence from ATT/Direct before I would engage in this promotion. Thanks everyone!

ACE - Expert

• 

19.7K Messages

5 years ago

With all the hacks that info is available to anyone willing to pay for it.

I received that call this a.m. They would reduce my bill to $69 for 2 years and add the premium channels and all 350 channels. I had to go to Walmart, Target, etc. and purchase an eBay gift card to pay the four months in advance. They gave me a phone number and codes to call back. The eBay gift card was the give away on the scam as well as paying four months in advance. I stated my bill was automatically paid and I did not wish to change that plan and that I would call Direct TV's billing to discuss alternative arrangements with them.

(edited)

Contributor

5 years ago

I received a text from 1(844) 568-1357 stating, verbatim:

DTV & ATT partnered with EBAY to lower your monthly bill down. Hurry up, Call now at 844-434-0126 to see if your account qualify for Fifty% OFF.

I made everything wrong in this text bold. I don't see an actual company adding down at the end of the sentence. The work "up" probably wouldn't exist, it would probably say something like "Hurry!" Also, if it were written and double checked there wouldn't be an uppercase "C" after the comma. "qualify" should be "qualifies".  And "Fifty" is capitalized, I also believe they would have used the number format. And the text was sent from an actual phone number when these texts usually come from one of those 5-digit numbers. Finally, the call back number doesn't match the number that sent the text. I may still try to find a fake gift card number database online and call them back.

Tutor

5 years ago

Had the same call today. So I called Direct tv billing dept to ask if it was real offer. Gal in billing told me yes. It was a real offer. Something wrong if employees of direct tv billing don’t know it’s a scam!

ACE - Expert

• 

1.9K Messages

5 years ago

Something wrong if employees of direct tv billing don’t know it’s a scam!

Thats for sure. Are you certain you called Directv? What number did you call?

Tutor

5 years ago

1-800-531-5000 is the number I called and asked for billing assistance. My bill went up $50 from last month and I wanted to know why

Teacher

5 years ago

I got the same phone call and they actually gave me more channels.  So if this is a scam, how they able to get into your account and give you more channels.  That is what I dont undestand.  I called directtv  1-800-531-5000 unlike the number that showed up on my text and they said it wasnt a scam

There is a temporary promotion going on and Direct TV is giving us free premium channels for a short time.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.clickorlando.com/news/2019/05/03/ebay-directv-discount-scheme-hits-central-florida/%3FoutputType%3Damp&ved=2ahUKEwi8hYCJj-HoAhWrna0KHY2UAVUQFjAAegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw35K14Ml53Xt5JrxSaHqHdO&ampcf=1

Contributor

5 years ago

The same happened to me. They added premium channels.  Did you speak to someone at regular customer service & they showed the promotion?

There is a temporary promotion going on and Direct TV is giving us free premium channels for a short time.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.clickorlando.com/news/2019/05/03/ebay-directv-discount-scheme-hits-central-florida/%3FoutputType%3Damp&ved=2ahUKEwi8hYCJj-HoAhWrna0KHY2UAVUQFjAAegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw35K14Ml53Xt5JrxSaHqHdO&ampcf=1

Got a call today, was going to do it but then I had to purchase with gift card wtf? Hahahaha then when I called the number the robot you could clearly tell was a recorded robot. Also said they close by 10pm and I called back at 10:15 and the guy said oh I wasn’t supposed to pick up.. like no you weren’t asshole. 

(edited)

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.