For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Bentis's profile

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, June 15th, 2022 2:50 AM

Question about a Certain Job

I recently applied to ATT in what I thought was for a residential installation technician. I had to take a TKT-II test which I passed but apparently, the position that I applied for was the Systems technician installation and repair position. The job description doesn't sound like I would be doing residential work and I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge about the position.

Former Employee

• 

22.3K Messages

2 years ago

Which state?

There all (5) union districts, a job title may represent different type of work in different union districts.

In Texas (D6) the position appears to be more business than residential working with phone systems while the same title in California (D9) is more microwave sites similar to Central Office which can involve remote travel / work.

Residential tech is more commonly known as premise tech (PT) or wire tech (WT) but may be listed as installer.

examples… TEXAS

Our Systems Technicians install, repair and maintain Customer premises and data equipment.What you'll do as an AT&T Systems Technician:•Install, maintain, upgrade and modify voice and data equipment and software applications on Customer premises •Use sophisticated test equipment, measuring devices, meters and hand tools in analyzing, adjusting, installing, wiring and maintaining communications services facilities •Review and interpret service orders and circuit diagrams •Perform work in connection with installing, rearranging, removing, testing and repairing various types of data and voice services In addition to STRONG communication skills, our Systems Technicians must have the following:•Experience with Nortel TDM and VOIP PBX systems including Nortel Server based applications •Valid state driver’s license•Meet 325lbs weight limit due to safety restrictions •Ability to lift and move up to 100lbs •AT&T will consider for employment qualified applicants in a manner consistent with the requirements of federal, state and local laws

CALIFORNIA…

position covers several remote microwave locations and several TMRS sites for truck to truck repeater radio utilized by C&E and TFS Field Technicians in the Los Angeles areas. This position covers 23 microwave sites and several generator sites throughout the area. Most of these sites are small Central Office location which serve multiple spur locations and local loop for other customers on the same hilltops, which include FAA, Government Agencies, Cell Carriers, and independent telephone operators both large and small. The System Technician position is responsible for everything in the building and remote cabinet which includes Power, Transport, Outside grounds ensuring vegetation abatement and minor building repairs are completed at all sites. This position also assists field or Central Office work which includes completing service work orders as needed when local work groups are unable to do so. The furthest site from Palmdale can take approximately 3 hrs of travel time to arrive. This is barring road closures or extreme weather in the area. Some sites in this area require special snow equipment in the winter to access mountain top sites and Technicians to travel in pairs to meet safety requirements for remote site access. Technicians may be required to hike into sites not accessible by vehicle with their tools and materials needed to make repairs during a system malfunction.

FOR INSTALLER PT/WT

What’s a typical day like? You’ll work independently at our customer’s homes and businesses as a trusted expert, installing the latest technology for high-speed broadband, Wi-Fi, and voice services. You’ll have the opportunity to meet new people every day while solving problems and being rewarded for doing great work. Whether you’re putting in a new line, climbing a ladder or simply plugging in and activating a Wi-Fi network, one thing is true no two days will be the same. Want to be considered? You’ll need to: • Work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends • Possess a valid state driver’s license and acceptable driving record • Lift and move up-to 80 lbs. – some of our ladders weigh 50-80lbs • Weigh less than 285 lbs., required for ladder safety • At times work in small, confined spaces or aloft (up to 28 ft.) • Be available for overtime, emergency callouts and holiday work • Identify wire and cable colors • Qualify on pre-employment assessments • Have a High School Diploma or GED

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

It's for California. you wouldn't happend to know the hourly rate for this position would you?

Former Employee

• 

22.3K Messages

2 years ago

I would not, in district 4….

you can search the web for ATT District 9 CWA contract.

Would expect a PDF file 400+ pages, lists all various job titles and pay ranges.

I would expect entry level to be around $18-$20 with raises every 6 months till reach max pay. Top tier techs at max pay would be around $45-$50 and may take 5 years, think trades (electrician as example) for apprenticeship to journeyman. 

California rates would likely be higher than the Midwest area I am in.

Former Employee

• 

22.3K Messages

2 years ago

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.