Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
joe94611's profile

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

Monday, September 10th, 2018 6:37 AM

Phone trivia:what was a party line?

A party line was a shared landline connection among a number of homes in a neighborhood.There just weren’t enough telephone lines to go around.

If I remember correctly each number had its distinctive ring.

2 big negatives were your neighbors listening into your converation(usually given away by a tell tale click when they lifted their reciever) and having gabby neighbors that wouldn’t get off that shared line. You could  pick up your handset to ask them to hang up but that could lead to them becoming angry.

Former Employee

• 

50 Messages

6 years ago

Wow, that's a blast from the past! The area I grew up in had party lines through the early '80s -- we were a bit off the beaten path. It's hard to imagine party lines now, when it's common to have multiple mobile lines in a single household. For those that can't imagine it, though, I found this video from the AT&T Archives about party line etiquette.

And incidentally it's also kind of hard to imagine a time when public service messages ran 14 minutes long and featured creepy marionettes -- that pre-dates even me!

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks for the AT&T video from another time.

Party lines are long gone(most people are glad they are) and I haven’t seen program w marionettes recently.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

6 years ago

Hi ATTDanW

I am impressed that AT&T would spend money to digitize for historical purposes a1946 film about party line etiquette.Furthermore, storing film reels for 50+ years  is expensive.

It takes a apecial company to care about &share  its history.

Joe

Former Employee

• 

50 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks, Joe. Yes, AT&T certainly has a lot of history, and it's not just the history of a company, but also of telecommunications. I love watching those old clips, and I'm glad they're preserved!

Dan

Mentor

• 

46 Messages

6 years ago

Great stuff this is telecom history!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.