Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.

AT&T related help: Welcome, Lori

queenlori's profile

1 Message

Sunday, May 5th, 2024 3:47 PM

new internet air

does anybody else dislike this new system?

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

13 days ago

When you ask a question like that on a forum such as this one, it's customary to share some specifics about your experience, i.e. why you don't seem to like it.

Observer

• 

11 Messages

13 days ago

I will add to this and try to be more specific. We have had Fixed Wireless for 3 years with few problems, it was much better in the beginning but it is clear that the tower had become much more congested, perhaps too many connections added, not surprised since the point has become to make as much money as possible, increase the value of the stock, certainly not help customers. I will step off the soapbox and try to stick to the current problem.

We are in a very rural location with very few options. We did try Hughesnet but I will just leave that here. We have cellular service from ATT so the Fixed Wireless seemed like a good fit. I have also looked at Starlink but I would rather avoid rewarding Mr. Musk, if possible.

We got the dreaded ATT letter telling us they were going to discontinue our Fixed Wireless and we needed to switch to Internet Air. I did some research and knew there were issues but also found some local users that were happy with the device. I received the 'egg' last week and began setup on Friday, I still do not have a connection. I have been on the phone with 4 different Internet Air "experts" and still no solution. Last night after 6 hours of trying to connect, walking all over the cabin with the 'egg' talking to the ATT CS rep, she finally told me that our closest tower was not working, had been down all day and I would have to wait until today to connect, probably would automatically begin to work about 6am this morning (Sunday) so leave it plugged in. One thing I have noticed, the Smart Home app keeps telling me to go SOUTH but our closest tower (we can see it, Fixed Wireless receiver is pointed toward it) is NORTH. We only have 1 small window on the south side and the sink is under it. We have several large windows north so that is where I keep putting the 'egg.'  Actually, the 'egg' should be able to pick up a signal from either direction, the distance between our north and south walls is not that far. So, this am, still NO connection and the SH app just kept telling me there was a problem. The IA tech I talked to today, after over an hour troubleshooting (reset etc) told me the tower was too congested and I should wait about 4 hours and then the 'egg' would automatically connect. HA! I am still waiting, it has been 7 hours. Now what?

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

13 days ago

There seems to be a common CSR strategy of: something good will magically happen at sometime in the future if you will just hang up with me now so that I can go on to another call, oh my goodness, I have been on this one far too long.

Former Employee

• 

22.4K Messages

13 days ago

To the OP original question…

FWA or Fixed Wireless Access is not new, first being strongly used by T-Mobile who recently reported having added another 405,000 FWA accounts for total of 5.2 million since start of 2021 and expecting to reach total 7 to 8 million within another 2 years.

Verizon end of 1st quarter 2024 reports adding another 185,000 residential and 151,000 business accounts on its 5G FWA offerings for current total of 3.4 million subscribers since 2021.

ATT recently within past 8 months have starting to offer 5G FWA adding 110,000 in 1st quarter for over 200,000 total subscribers end of March 2024 and is expecting to offer the service to 15+ million addresses by end 2025. 

Most customers (90%) report being satisfied across the various companies with FWA and the product offerings for 2024 is expected to account for 80% to 90% of all new connections, with many customers coming from the various cable providers who are reporting significant internet losses in addition to continuing decline of tv customers. 

from online reports…

• In Comcast’s first quarter earnings report released this morning, the company reported it lost 487,000 cable TV customers. That works out to over 5,300 subscribers lost every day. In addition, the company lost 65,000 broadband customers for the quarter, a jump over the 34,000 it lost in the fourth quarter of 2023.

Charter Communications, the parent company of Spectrum, reported it lost 405,000 TV customers in the first quarter of 2024. This is on top of the 320,000 TV customers it lost in the fourth quarter of 2023. Spectrum, for the second quarter in a row, lost 72,000 Internet customers.These numbers are just for the two largest cable TV companies in the first quarter of 2024. Other cable TV companies will be announcing their first quarter 2024 numbers over the coming weeks.

Observer

• 

11 Messages

12 days ago

To My Thoughts. I'm confused. Are you offering a solution to the problem with Internet Air? And, are you saying Internet Air would be defined as Fixed Wireless? I have not had any of the CS techs use that analogy, that Fixed Wireless/Internet Air are one in the same, just IA is a 5g upgrade? Please explain. Is the main problem FW is an outside antenna and IA can only be set up inside a structure? Or is the problem really that these companies are not at all worried that they are adding all of these new users to a tower that is already overburdened, ie too congested as one of the techs stated.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

12 days ago

that Fixed Wireless/Internet Air are one in the same, just IA is a 5g upgrade?

That is essentially true: AT&T Internet Air (AIA) is a Fixed Wireless Access product, just like AT&T's older Fixed Wireless offering, only it uses 5G (and LTE) instead of just LTE, and--more importantly--it doesn't require professional installation of an outdoor antenna, but instead uses a new all-in-in unit (the All-Fi hub) with internal antennas.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.5K Messages

12 days ago

@upupandaway 

I'm not aware of any ACEs using AIA, but we try to help if we can.  

When I researched information on the new product, the main statement made was it would be offered in areas where spare tower capacity existed.  The implication would be Att wouldn’t overtly oversubscribe the tower.  Ultimately though it’s up to them along with your patience to get it sorted.  The forum isn’t a place to get service issues fixed.  

Tutor

• 

433 Messages

12 days ago

> One thing I have noticed, the Smart Home app keeps telling me to go SOUTH but our closest tower (we can see it, Fixed Wireless receiver is pointed toward it) is NORTH. 

Don't assume the closest tower, the one being used for the prior Fixed Wireless service, is the same as that being used for Internet Air.

Tutor

• 

433 Messages

12 days ago

> We only have 1 small window on the south side and the sink is under it. We have several large windows north so that is where I keep putting the 'egg.'  Actually, the 'egg' should be able to pick up a signal from either direction, the distance between our north and south walls is not that far.

Take the window placement as a hint. That is why they had you walking all over the cabin.

And by the window may work if it is within a line of sight of the window.

It is assumed that a window has the least impact on the signal, which may not be the case based on the materials in the walls and the quality of the window (triple paned, glazed, etc.).

If there is no window, as close to a wall on the impacted side may be better. Higher is usually better. And with no interior walls in between.

If there is a southern wall that may be of a less dense (not sure what that is) material, that may be better. Using an example (which probably is not of much help in a cabin), if one part of a wall is made of brick or with a stone veneer, but another part is just siding (some houses vary the material on the outside wall), try to position the egg so that it is next to the siding portion.

(edited)

Former Employee

• 

22.4K Messages

12 days ago

@upupandaway 

AIR is FWA or Fixed Wireless Access using cellular  5G that offers faster download/upload speeds albeit at a shorter distance than available with 4G LTE. This is similar with home internet difference between 2.4Ghz b/g and 5Ghz n/ac... newer technology offering faster speeds but subject to more interferences than older technologies resulting in shorter distance coverage leading to needing extenders or mesh systems.

LOS (line of sight) and other environmental elements will affect the performance one can experience,  if AIR is not suitable for your location may want to look into a product from a different ISP including T-Mobile, Verizon, US Cellular, local WISP or satellite provider such as StarLink. 

The original question is are you satisfied (dislike) the product without stating any experience,  my post was to show that the vast majority of customers using FWA find the product acceptable for a variety of reasons including cost, convenience, speeds, etc compared to their previous provider(s).

It does not mean 100% acceptable to all, only that the newer technology is becoming the immediate future and will likely continue as 6G future rollout (2030?) will shut down 4G LTE.

How many are still using VHS players and tapes? If not, why?

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.