Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
R

• 

70 Messages

Tuesday, April 23rd, 2024 11:38 PM

Can I use a cell signal booster with my Internet Air?

I live in a rural area and don't have many internet options.  I currently have Internet Air.  Many times I get 50 Mbps download speeds, other times I get 3 Mbps (especially in the evenings).  

On average my signal data is as follows (these numbers are pretty steady):

Band (ARFCN): 2(800)

RSRP: -113

RSRQ: -13

SINR: 26

The problem is the box isn't weatherproof and can't be mounted outdoors to get a better signal.  The windows that most directly face the tower also face a bank (I'm on a hillside).  The next best windows don't allow optimal positioning of the unit and face a lot of trees.  There are relatively inexpensive cell phone signal boosters on Amazon where you can mount a directional antenna outside (I have an old satellite mast that I can repurpose) and rebroadcast the cell signal on the inside of your house.  They seem to work good for cell phones, will they work with an Internet Air box?  

Am I understanding the band data correctly as 800 MHz?  That seems to be a non-standard frequency.  

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

24 days ago

That filing is likely either for ADSL2+ or AT&T's previous Wireless Home Internet which was offered prior to Internet Air.  Also, they don't have to guarantee the 10 Mbps, 24 hours a day to say that they're offering 10 Mbps.  From your description, AT&T could refer to your installation to justify a claim of 50 Mbps service.

(edited)

• 

70 Messages

24 days ago

Here is the link to the CAF II requirements:

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/connect-america-fund-phase-ii-faqs

• Speed: Service providers must offer broadband at speeds of at least 10 megabits per second (Mbps) downstream and 1 Mbps upstream.

To me "at least" means it shouldn't fall below that for long periods of time (like from 5pm to 11pm).  Otherwise they could provide 10 MBPS for an hour and 1 MBPS for the other 23 hours of the day and say they met the requirements.  And AT&T were the ones that discontinued their older fixed wireless internet (which, admittedly, didn't work any better once they allowed the tower to get overloaded) and required me to switch to internet air.  Does that mean they get out of the agreement but get to keep the funding?  

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

24 days ago

The measurement standard for that reads:

The speed tests are defined as a single measurement of download or upload speed of a 10-15 second duration between the testing location at the subscriber premises and an FCC-designated IXP.

It is required that 80% of the download and upload speed measurements taken during CAF performance testing be at or above 80% of the CAF-required speed tier (i.e., an 80/80 standard). For example, if a carrier receives CAF funding for a 10/1 Mbps service tier, 80% of the download speed measurements must be at or above 8 Mbps, while 80% of the upload speed measurements must be at or above 0.8 Mbps.

So they can miss completely 20% of the time, and only have to provide 80% of the standard the other 80% of the time.   It's a tighter standard than I thought... but even if they miss the standard, the penalty is 25% monthly funding cut.

• 

70 Messages

24 days ago

I can tell you they aren't meeting the requirement at my location and haven't met it most of the time since it was installed although they sometimes exceed it by a lot.  But I rather have the slower speed when I need it than the faster speed when I don't (like the middle of the night).  I wonder how the FCC finds out they aren't meeting the requirement.  

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

24 days ago

@RKCRLR  You can always file an online complaint with the BBB. A complaint to the FCC will do the same thing. Both are forwarded directly to AT&T Upper Management and someone from the Office of the President will contact you. That's as high up in AT&T that a customer can go. These Senior Managers have more resources available to them than the CS Agents you call. They might be able to help or at least shed some light on your issue.

• 

70 Messages

24 days ago

I tried filing a complaint with the FCC and AT&T responded with a letter that didn't address the problem.  I challenged the response with the FCC and AT&T sent another letter saying it should get better in a few months and the FCC closed the case.  After I waited a few months and the problem wasn't resolved I tried to file another complaint with the FCC and the FCC responded that I'm not allowed to file multiple complaints for the same problem.  They said if I wanted to peruse it I would I would need to pay a $540 formal complaint filing fee and recommended I hire a lawyer.  So filing a complaint with the FCC doesn't do it.  Or, if it does, I've never heard about it.  

After that COVID hit AT&T blamed the slow speeds on everyone working and schooling from home and it would get better when COVID was over.  When COVID was over but my speeds didn't get much better they said that more people than they expected were continuing to from home.  Then they notified me that they are discontinuing their traditional fixed wireless internet and I needed to switch to Internet Air.  But the Internet Air All-Fi Hub can't be positioned for optimal LOS reception from inside my house.  That is where I am now and why I'm asking if a cell booster would perhaps help my download speeds.  

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

24 days ago

@RKCRLR  Usually when you file an FCC complaint, if done correctly, they don't even look at it because it's from a single person and just pass it on to AT&T which results in a call from AT&T. FCC complaints are usually ineffective. That's why we suggest the BBB route. In fact, AT&T prefers the BBB route because it is usually a bit faster and less paperwork for them.

As I mentioned, contact a cell booster mfr (WeBoost comes to mind) and ask them. However, those usually are best installed by a professional because they have the equipment to determine bands, frequencies, strength, and directionality of the incoming cellular signal (which needs to be at least one and preferably two bars of consistent signal strength).

• 

70 Messages

24 days ago

But why as a consumer should it be so difficult to notify the FCC that AT&T isn't meeting its obligations for the CAF II funding requirements?  As far as I'm concerned I've already done that.  In fact, I feel I've gone above and beyond what I should need to do.  If the FCC wants to pursue it then they can.  And why should I spend anymore time going that route when it is unlikely to resolve my problem?  I just want to get my problem fixed and would like to be able to communicate to an AT&T employee that is capable of understanding the problem.  

Former Employee

• 

22.4K Messages

24 days ago

The CAFII funding that ATT participated in was from 2013/2014  at the request of the government, the award was for 1.1 million locations within specified areas of 18 states with all work (100% completion) by 2020 which they did.

They have not participated in any other auctions and the big winner of most of the auctions over the years has been ViaSat, a satellite internet provider. 

from online source…. I do not see anything about continued coverage only that payment and service had to be completed within 6 years of winning. The first Fixed Wireless was in Georgia, 44 counties in May 2017, which required 40% completion by year end 2017, then additional 20% each year for 2018 (60%), 2019 (80%) and 2020 (100%). 
https://savannahceo.com/features/2017/11/t-launches-fixed-wireless-internet-georgia-enhance-connectivity-rural-and-underserved-areas/#:~:text=AT%26T%20Fixed%20Wireless%20Internet%20is,to%20homes%20and%20small%20businesses.

What is CAF – Phase II?
• FCC adopted comprehensive reforms of its Universal Service Fund (USF) and Intercarrier Compensation (ICC) systems to accelerate broadband build-out to the approximately 23 million Americans (as of December 31, 2013) who lack access to infrastructure capable of providing 10/1 Mbps fixed broadband.
• Existing USF was transformed into a new Connect America Fund focused on broadband.
• FCC analyzed every census block in the country to identify whether that census block lacked broadband access at the 10/1 Mbps speeds
• Census blocks that lacked infrastructure were categorized based on the cost to build the requisite infrastructure – areas were either deemed eligible for CAF II subsidies or labeled extremely high cost areas which the FCC will address at a later time.

CAF II Broadband Obligations
• Must meet or exceed speed of at least 10 Mbps down/1 Mbps up
• Latency of 100 milliseconds or less roundtrip
• Initial minimum usage allowance of 150 GB/month
• Rates must be comparable to fixed wireline urban rates for the same level of service in urban areas or at or below the FCC Annual National Rate Benchmark (approx. $72/month)
• Must meet specified deployment milestone dates by state • 40% built by EoY 2017 – 60% 2018 – 80% 2019 – 100% 2020-21

Additional CAF II Broadband Obligations
• Must continue to offer voice service
• Continue to participate in Lifeline
• Required to bid on all E-rate RFPs in CAF II census blocks
• Subject to annual speed and latency performance testing
• At least one audit, per state during the funding term
• Able to build in extremely high cost census blocks and get CAF II credit but only at CAF II subsidy and cannot seek future subsidies for those areas

Who was initially eligible for funding?
• Incumbent Local Exchange Carriers (ILECs) were allowed to accept the CAF II dollars on a state-by-state region.
• Money accepted must be used in the state allocated and household requirements must be met on a state-by-state basis.

What did AT&T accept?
• In August 2015, AT&T accepted about $427 million per year in CAF II support for each of the next six years.
• These funds will be used for deploying, maintaining, and offering Internet access and voice service in FCC- identified census blocks in 18 states located within !T&T’s traditional exchange footprint.
• Money accepted must be used in the state allocated and location requirements must be met on a state-by-state basis.
• In California, AT&T will use the CAF II support to offer Internet access to more than 141,500 homes and small businesses in the FCC-identified census blocks.

AT&T Fixed Wireless Internet
• To deliver high-speed Internet access to the mostly rural 1.1 million homes and small businesses, AT&T plans to deploy fixed wireless technology.
• Fixed Wireless Internet is a service that uses a fixed-wireless “last-mile” connection between the fiber at a cell tower and the customer premises to provide high-speed Internet access.
• This service is anticipated to support speeds in excess of 10 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload.
• Customers will also have the ability to bundle DirecTV video services seamlessly with AT&T Fixed Wireless Internet including VoLTE-based telephone services.
• The service will require the installation of a small wireless antenna at the customer premise that will connect to a wireless router in the home.

(edited)

• 

70 Messages

23 days ago

@my thoughts , Is your point that AT&T has no requirement to continue providing internet service under the CAF II obligations once it's been fully deployed?  If that is true then that is a pretty bad contract by the FCC but a windfall to AT&T.  

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.