Posted Feb 20, 2014
Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

Beware.. The $160 per month plan for 4 smart phones with ATT is pretty shadey. They don't tell you that you are required to pay for 4 smart phones at full retail price. Maybe that small detail is buried somewhere in the fine print when the adds on TV play, but make sure you know exactly what you are paying for before jumping onto this.... It's very, very tricky. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
2-22-2014 2:53:54 PM
(0)
Employee

The plan itself is the following:

$100+40/smartphone+15/basic phone

You get a $25 credit per line for your smartphones under the following circumstances:

1. Your contract on your phone started prior to February 2, 2014.
  2. You are on next for your upgrade.
  3. You have no contract (applies to bring your own device).

If you do not meet the requirements for the credit you will not receive it.  You can evaluate how you want to get the device, however it breaks down that if you are on this new plan and want a new phone then bring your own device or next will come out costing you the least.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

[ Edited ]
423 replies
(16) Me too
(16) Me too
Replies
(423)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Feb 20, 2014
(0)
ACE - Expert

I haven't seen any ads so I don't know what the fine print there says, but we just switched our 4-line family plan to the mobile share value one and we just kept our existing phones. On the site it says pretty clearly that you can either bring your own device, get a device with AT&T Next or buy one at full price.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: ATT $160 per month for 4 lines is not actually $160!!

Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 21, 2014
(0)
Mentor

The plan is still $160 per month. There's nothing wrong with the advertising. It doesn't say the plan AND phones will total $160. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 21, 2014
(0)
Employee

Tomnationwide wrote:

The plan is still $160 per month. There's nothing wrong with the advertising. It doesn't say the plan AND phones will total $160. 

This!
Good eye for details.

Assuming you use AT&T Next, if  you want to budget the monthly cost of the phone.

If you bring your own, or buy it full retail, then it's a moot point

-Alex

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Feb 22, 2014
(0)
Employee

The plan itself is the following:

$100+40/smartphone+15/basic phone

You get a $25 credit per line for your smartphones under the following circumstances:

1. Your contract on your phone started prior to February 2, 2014.
  2. You are on next for your upgrade.
  3. You have no contract (applies to bring your own device).

If you do not meet the requirements for the credit you will not receive it.  You can evaluate how you want to get the device, however it breaks down that if you are on this new plan and want a new phone then bring your own device or next will come out costing you the least.

Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 23, 2014
(0)
Mentor

If you think its not confusing just call AT&T and ask the rep how many people are calling in confused.

When you are use to going in to an AT&T store and paying the fee for the phone, the upgrade fee, and sign up for two more years and your bill stays the same.

With the Mobile Share you pay the fees, sign up for 2 more years and the $15 per line goes up to $40 for 24 months on that line. So if you upgrade 4 lines to new phone the bill goes up from $160 to $260.

So add it up for a 5s 16g.  $199 for the device, $36 activation fee, and $600 increase over 24 months for a total of $835 per line.

The Mobile Share Plan comes with a 10g data plan. If you lower it to 8g or 6g the price should go down right. Wrong it goes up if you sign up for less data.

So you go to ATT Next which is called a non contract phone. Well, except you agree if you leave ATT you are contacted to pay the rest of the payments on the phone. If they lower the price of the phone on the Next plan this is the way to go. Of course you can always buy a used phone in an alley from Shady Joe.

Its not a bad plan but when I switched to the Mobile Share Plan the rep never mentioned each line went from $15 to $40 if you get a subsidized phone. Unfortunately, phones don't last forever and when you get a new phone any money you saved by changing plans is almost gone.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 24, 2014
(0)
ACE - Scholar

T-Boy wrote:

Its not a bad plan but when I switched to the Mobile Share Plan the rep never mentioned each line went from $15 to $40 if you get a subsidized phone.

Well when I went into the store to switch to the MSV plan, I was not informed about it being $40/line if I elected to upgrade to a new subsidized-cost phone...but then again, I also did my homework prior to going into the store by reading over the FAQ on AT&T's website as to under what conditions my lines would qualify for the $15/month per line offer.  Not sure if you read the online FAQ but if you did, you would have then known that the $15/month deal doesn't apply if you elect to upgrade to a new subsidized-cost phone--aka, signing a 2-year contract, since for all intents and purposes, the only way you would wind up in a (new) 2-year contract with AT&T these days is if you purchased a new phone at subsidized cost.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(1)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 24, 2014
(1)
Mentor
Here is my complaint with AT&T. No customer should have to search to find out the number one negative to enrolling in the MSV plan. It is not clearly pointed out in the TV and online advertizements for a good reason.

When I talk to a sales rep and he never mentions you will lose the subsidized phone plan something is wrong in the sales end of the business.

I have been with AT&T since I started cell phones and have 3 lines and have never been one day late paying my statement. I also have 5 TV's, internet and landline. My phone contact on all lines are up in December and they could easily lose an excellent long time customer. They might not care???

Loyalty goes both ways and if trusting a rep to explain the major pros and cons of a plan is being naive then I am guilty.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 26, 2014
(0)
Mentor

To everyone complaining about shady sales or buried in the fine print, it is clearly stated in any TV commercials I have seen and in store that the 160.00/mo is no-contract pricing. If you are financing your devices on Next, then the monthly cost of the phone shouldn't come as a shock. No-contract means that you are not obligated to stay around if you don't like it. As far as reading the fine print, if you don't want to take the time to read the plan agreement before you sign it, that's your own fault. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2014
(0)
Mentor

To everyone complaining about shady sales or buried in the fine print, it is clearly stated in any TV commercials I have seen and in store that the 160.00/mo is no-contract pricing. If you are financing your devices on Next, then the monthly cost of the phone shouldn't come as a shock. No-contract means that you are not obligated to stay around if you don't like it. As far as reading the fine print, if you don't want to take the time to read the plan agreement before you sign it, that's your own fault.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AT&T allows you to bring a contracted phone into the MSV plan. So is that phone still under contract or not. Believe they would make you pay the early cancellation fees if you left.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2014
(0)
Community Manager

The phone that has a contract will still be under contract when switched to MSV plan. AT&T is making an exception for users that upgraded prior to the new plans announcement, allowing them to switch to the new plan at $15 per month, even with the contract (Contracts remain on those lines). After this initial change, if a user upgrades with another 2 year contract, the price for that line will be $40, if user buy a phone at no commitment price or with AT&T Next option, their price will remain at $15.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Community Manager

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution".

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2014
(0)
Scholar
its still cheaper to buy the phone full retail. The nexus 5 is 349. You save 600 over the 2 years not paying 40. You buy the nexus you still saved 250 bucks a year on one line.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 7, 2014
(0)
Mentor

The phone that has a contract will still be under contract when switched to MSV plan. AT&T is making an exception for users that upgraded prior to the new plans announcement, allowing them to switch to the new plan at $15 per month, even with the contract (Contracts remain on those lines). After this initial change, if a user upgrades with another 2 year contract, the price for that line will be $40, if user buy a phone at no commitment price or with AT&T Next option, their price will remain at $15.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dmitry, do you still stand by that statement?  Many users that are still under contract and have switched to the mobile share plan report being billed $40 per line not $15.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 7, 2014
(0)
Mentor

dave.m2bits wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dmitry, do you still stand by that statement?  Many users that are still under contract and have switched to the mobile share plan report being billed $40 per line not $15.

I would like to know if anyone with authority at AT&T stands behind this statement and will actually help someone that is still getting the run around from the customer reps. Dmitry are you out there and why is this happening to customers with contracts before Feb 2, 2014.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 7, 2014
(0)
ACE - Scholar

T-Boy wrote:

dave.m2bits wrote:

I would like to know if anyone with authority at AT&T stands behind this statement and will actually help someone that is still getting the run around from the customer reps. Dmitry are you out there and why is this happening to customers with contracts before Feb 2, 2014.

I can vouch that i'm getting the 15 dollar pricing for all 6 of my lines under contract. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 8, 2014
(0)
Mentor

Good for you. Now, how would you feel if all of your phone lines were being charged at $40 per line and AT&T wants you to pay the bill and see what happens in a couple billing cycles.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 8, 2014
(0)
Mentor

I can vouch that i'm getting the 15 dollar pricing for all 6 of my lines under contract.

ujmnz,

Thanks for the information.  Now I know it is possible.  I'll just have to wait for the end of my billing cycle on the 18th.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 8, 2014
(0)
Mentor

dave.m2bits wrote:

ujmnz,

Thanks for the information.  Now I know it is possible.  I'll just have to wait for the end of my billing cycle on the 18th.

I'm with you. Hopefully, all the people that brought phones into the AT&T MSV plan that they purchased before Feb 2 will be billed at $15 per line as promised. I can understand errors when switching plans but I can't understand the reluctance to correct them. It appears the Chat Line is almost worthless to get a credit issued for over billing.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 8, 2014
(0)
Employee

There's no need for someone to vouch for that

per FAQ on the website ( http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=z4QshJBCPjS )

What are the benefits for existing customers under a two year service agreement prior to February 2, 2014?

All existing 2 year agreement customers (i.e. FamilyTalk, Nation, original Mobile Share or Mobile Share Value) prior to February 2, 2014, who are on or migrate to a Mobile Share Value 10GB or higher rate plan are also eligible for the $15 per month rate. Customers who choose to upgrade at the end of their current agreement are required to sign-up for AT&T NEXTSM, bring their own device or purchase a phone at full retail price in order to keep this discounted pricing.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 8, 2014
(0)
ACE - Scholar

loganic wrote:

There's no need for someone to vouch for that

per FAQ on the website ( http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=z4QshJBCPjS )

What are the benefits for existing customers under a two year service agreement prior to February 2, 2014?

All existing 2 year agreement customers (i.e. FamilyTalk, Nation, original Mobile Share or Mobile Share Value) prior to February 2, 2014, who are on or migrate to a Mobile Share Value 10GB or higher rate plan are also eligible for the $15 per month rate. Customers who choose to upgrade at the end of their current agreement are required to sign-up for AT&T NEXTSM, bring their own device or purchase a phone at full retail price in order to keep this discounted pricing.

The issue is that many customers are not getting that pricing. They are being told by customer care that they have to wait 1 or 2 billing cycles when that is incorrect. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 8, 2014
(0)
Employee

I've talked to a few customers where that's happened.

I've only seen 3 customers personally like that, but the one consistency/pattern I've noticed on the last 2, (didn't pay attention to the first) is that they were all set to start on the day of the new cycle.

I don't know if that's the reason (maybe the credits apply midnight the night after the plan starts), but I've personally just fixed the bills for a customers, was told to tell them it'll be fixed next time

-Alex

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 8, 2014
(0)
ACE - Scholar

That was my initial thought. For some reason, the changes might have been future dated instead of made effective immediately. In my situation, my bill was actually lower than the advertised price because of the prorated adjustments that came because of the change. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 10, 2014
(0)
Contributor

This is the problem with at&t the new 160 dollar share plan.I just changed my plan to the new $160 mobile share family plan 10gig of data.My plan this month went up to 303 dollars i called to ask what is going on and the lady told me i have to pay the price of what it cost before the rate plan change until the second billing cycle.I mean  my billing cycle ends on the 4th of every month i called in on the 3rd to have my plan changed to the new pricing of the rate plans.How and why do i have to pay the charge for the old rate plan for the first month if i changed my plan before the billing cycle? My bill is $303 dollars this month and i was suppose to pay about $195 after 4 lines plus taxes and the $29 at&t next installment that i have on one of the phones in my family plan.Also i have a 17% discount from my company applied to the plan.Whats going on if someone can explain this mess to me i would like to know.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 10, 2014
(0)
Mentor

You will not get an answer here. All you will get is guesses. It appears the people that switched plans close or on the start of the billing date are being charged $40 on some of the lines instead of the promised $15. The standard answer from customer service appears to be "Pay the incorrect charge and lets see what happens". You have to get to an AT&T employee that has the authority to give you a credit for the incorrect billing. I would start with the customer retention or cancellation line.

The error in billing is understandable but the lack of correction is inexcuseable.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 10, 2014
(0)
ACE - Scholar

T-Boy wrote:

You will not get an answer here. All you will get is guesses. It appears the people that switched plans close or on the start of the billing date are being charged $40 on some of the lines instead of the promised $15. The standard answer from customer service appears to be "Pay the incorrect charge and lets see what happens". You have to get to an AT&T employee that has the authority to give you a credit for the incorrect billing. I would start with the customer retention or cancellation line.

The error in billing is understandable but the lack of correction is inexcuseable.

The above issue almost occurred to me--I changed plans on the very first day of my billing cycle so that I wouldn't have to try to deal with all of the pro-rated partial month charges that come about when changing plans mid-cycle; I asked a rep via chat as to whether I would be charged $40 or $15 on my upcoming bill--he told me it would be $40 on the current bill, and a $25 credit on the following month's bill to offset the $40 charge from the previous bill plus the normal $15 charge for the following bill.  I asked the guy to confirm--I guess he talked to his supervisor because he came back and told me that my bill will reflect $15 across the board rather than the $40 on this bill and $25 credit to offset that on the following month's bill.

A few days later I checked my upcoming bill via OLAM and sure enough it is showing all charges correctly, including the $15 for both the previous/current cycle and the following cycle.

Bottom line--if a rep is telling you that you'll be charged $40 for the first month and be credited back $25 to offset that charge on the following month's bill, you should have the rep check with a supervisor/manager like I did.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 10, 2014
(0)
Teacher

I think I'm going to contact cancellation next month if they don't double the deduction on my next bill, since I had one rep explain to me that the first bill wouldn't include the $25/line deduction to make it $15/line, but that my second bill would include it twice. And if they refuse to correct that, I'll heavily consider going with the T-Mobile buyout option because at least it is cheaper to get screwed over by them than it is to get screwed by AT&T.

Is there anyone here who can actually explain why "The System" is configured to not instantly apply the $25/line deduction? Not only does it sound shady, it also doesn't make any logical sense from a software standpoint (I am a professional software developer). I've talked to 2 different reps who claimed that the system eventually changes after 1-2 cycles instead of instantly, but never got an answer on why that is the case. And I refuse to overpay those charges, so if they don't get corrected in the next bill I'll be going on a witch hunt.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 10, 2014
(0)
ACE - Expert

We switched our 4 line plan on the first day of the billing cycle and it's been billing us at the promised $15/line rate. We do have a FAN, don't know if it plays a role or not.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 11, 2014
(0)
Tutor

I agree!  They make you sound like that you are getting a good deal!  They do not tell you about all the fees

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 11, 2014
(0)
ACE - Scholar

ecmillan wrote:

Is there anyone here who can actually explain why "The System" is configured to not instantly apply the $25/line deduction? Not only does it sound shady, it also doesn't make any logical sense from a software standpoint (I am a professional software developer). I've talked to 2 different reps who claimed that the system eventually changes after 1-2 cycles instead of instantly, but never got an answer on why that is the case. And I refuse to overpay those charges, so if they don't get corrected in the next bill I'll be going on a witch hunt.

The system is configured to instantly apply the deduction, just maybe not correctly. I got it right away. No waiting. Seems there's a bug or something causing many to not get it right away. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 12, 2014
(0)
Tutor
The site says 40.00 per phone with 2 year contract and 15.00 per phone without contract. It is a rip off. I wanted to do the 10gb value share for 100 a month and then 30 for 2 lines. As soon as we go to buy a phone and sign a contract that 130 a month becomes 180 a month. The only other options are purchase a device at full cost or sign up for AT&T next which is a bigger rip off. You end up leasing or financing a new phone. In the end you pay more for the device. At&t makes this value share sound good, but it's crap. I've got 2 lines, 156.00 a month. Unlimited data, texting and a ton of minutes that I never have to look at. All I want is the mobile hotspot and there is no affordable way to get that.