For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
jeffcort's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, July 9th, 2014 6:42 PM

will microcell work without GPS signal?

will microcell work without GPS signal?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

8 years ago

Ah ha!

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

8 years ago

@lizdance40 @David606 - manual entry of the GPS coordinates is called GPS Bypass. It does work but is not 100% because of NWL maintenance procedure mentioned above. Sometimes the received coordinates over-write the manually entered ones and then you're back to square one. This is particularly problematic in rural areas.

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

Yep. The manual coordinates can, and will be overwritten by what the GPS in the MCell shows.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

I thought you had to register/link these to your address anyway?  Is that part just sort of a pointless exercise, given the GPS function?
It seems like if it won't function w/o a GPS singal, than having a registered address is a needless redundancy?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

8 years ago

For initial registration/activation the MicroCell should compare the physical address of the MicroCell to what it detects for GPS E911 coordinates. If they match activation will proceed. I believe the address/location is also used to check for a valid  post-paid cellular account. Once done and activated, the MicroCell can be moved from location to locatoin and re-activated to the new location as long as it is within a MicroCell Service Area and the location can be checked for a valid E911 address.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Is this possible in Puerto Rico and/or US Virgin Islands too?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

7 years ago

@jgurrola - the title of the thread asks the question as to whether the MicroCel will work without a GPS signal and the answer is no. The MicroCell must be in a MicroCell Service Area which is basically within distance (the exact distance is not known) of an AT&T celluar tower.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

@David606, you said that tech support can enter the coordinates manually. This applies to Puerto Rico and/or Virgin Islands?

There is AT&T service in those places and they are part of the USA

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

7 years ago

@jgurrola - the MicroCell will work within the 50 United States, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands. However, @David606 was not quite accurate. Support can manually add your GPS coordinates into the locational database, which is called a GPS Bypass, but that is usually used as a temporary fix and will probably be overwritten the next time the MicroCell attempts to do a location verification. The GPS coordinates are an FCC E911 requirement.

I might add that you also need to have a land-based internet connection (DSL or cable). The MicroCell is not designed for satellite and/or wireless broadband. It can work but is unreliable and AT&T will not support those types of connections.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks for replying @OttoPylot, maybe you can help me. I can't activate the Microcell in Puerto Rico or Virgin Islands.

Every single time I enter the address, it returns the following message:

FTC129: Please check the address and re-enter the full address where the AT&T 3G MicroCell is located. Post Office Box, and Rural Route numbers are insufficient for validation. The unit's GPS signal location and the address entered must match to enable service. 

The addresses that I enter are valid, if I enter the exact same address in Google Maps, it immediatly finds the place. I have even tried addresses in downtown Puerto Rico and it still doesn't accept the address.

Thanks in advance

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.