For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?

AT&T related help: Boost your wireless signal

Evreddy's profile

• 

5 Messages

Thursday, August 25th, 2022 2:33 PM

Cell Booster Pro registered but will not activate

Cell booster pro registered but will not activate despite following app & website instructions. Power light flashes. No other lights. No help from att tech support.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.4K Messages

10 months ago

@PFC2519 

As you noticed in the post right above yours, without a wired internet, cable, fiber, or at least DSL, the "cell booster", which is really a microcell is not the device for you.

The previous 3G MicroCell, and the current LTE and LTE and 5G "cell booster/pro" all operate the same way using your home internet in order to create a mini tower wireless signal at home in an area where there is no signal.  

Connecting it to a device which is cellular is a catch-22  and will not work.  

1. most importantly is this booster going to work connected to the AWB? 

No.  You need wired home internet.

2. how do I add a location - or is this covered under reregistering the device and if so, how do I do that?

Location is determined by GPS during set up.  

Without the “cell booster“ in the mix, what is your wireless service like at home? Does the nighthawk function for cellular service?  

If the nighthawk does function, what you need is a real cell booster, not a microcell which is what you have acquired.

A cell booster uses electricity to amplify common frequencies of all US carriers in order to make an unusable or barely usable signal functional.   A cell booster would not only benefit your phones but it probably would help your wireless hotspot as well

4 Messages

10 months ago

Thank you - it is not for home, it is for business. We have a dead spot in the office where our Executive Director sits. We decided we needed a cell booster, so this is the option AT&T gave us. The asst mgr at the store and I spent 2 hours trying to figure it out *including* on the phone with AT&T and they seemed not to know what to do. It sounds like I need to return this and get a true cell booster from somewhere.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

10 months ago

@PFC2519  If you read my Cell Booster Tech Guide, which is much more informative than anything from AT&T CS, you'll see what the basic requirements are, including location, connection requirements, and router requirements. Basically a post paid AT&T cellular account, a window with an unobstructed view of the sky, a direct ethernet connection from the yellow WAN port on the CBP to the LAN port of your router, and some very specific router requirements. If your office has its own IT Department or some localized location for your internet, there may be some firewall options in place that interfere with the CBP.

Have you tried WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) in your Director's office with his/her phone?

If you are considering a cellular booster, you might want to read my Cellular Booster Guide, which is the second link in my sig line for a primer on what cellular boosters can and can not do, and how they are setup.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.4K Messages

10 months ago

Might also consider that the executive director maybe located in a part of the building that acts as a Faraday cage.  Both the AT&T device and a cell booster require outside access to pull in a signal.  

A regular cell booster operates by having an antenna outside and a cable between the outside antenna, the booster itself, and an indoor antenna.   

4 Messages

10 months ago

Thanks everyone. Some of the terminology in your document was new to me but I'm clear that the AWB we have is NOT going to work.

We are in a building with multiple offices. Our office is an open space and a glassed in conference room. All of us have experienced a drop in signal in the office, so I don't think it's a Faraday Cage situation, but it most frequently occurs in the glassed in conference room which is where our directors sit. (small nonprofit and all that) The building owner has set up multiple routers for each tenant that are on the same "connection" for lack of a better term - so we have our own WiFi and WiFi password but it is not located in our office space. It's not ideal and our tech folks are looking at other options. In the meantime I will look into true cell boosters as an option. I appreciate your time!

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

10 months ago

@PFC2519  Yep, multiple routers connecting to a single gateway is not going to work because of the "hops" that one has to make to the gateway and possibly any firewalling that your IT has to do. Read thru my Cellular Booster Guide. Most cellular boosters require an outdoor antenna to "capture" the signal, transfer that to an indoor antenna which then covers the interior. You may be able to place the receiving antenna next to a window depending on the strength of the signal, the direction of the signal, and of course the bands/frequencies used for your area.  A professional installation may be in order because they usually have the equipment to determine all of that and come up with the best solution.

4 Messages

10 months ago

Thanks - I have your guide and started to read it, it's a little over my technical abilities, but we have an IT contractor who might be able to help. We also had hard wiring installed in our office so if we're willing to pay for our own ISP it might be resolvable that way. WiFi calling acts very weird here. I can't send text messages with WiFi calling enabled and there is a delay on calls. I can have him try it, maybe it will work for him. Your time and knowledge is appreciated!

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

10 months ago

@PFC2519  Just keep in mind that there are no user-configurable settings in the Cell Booster. All you need to do is to meet ALL of the minimum router requirements, have a post paid AT&T cellular account, have a direct ethernet connection to the router, and place the GPS antenna on a window or windowsill with an unobstructed view of the sky.

WiFi-C should work fine if you have a robust WiFi signal. We use it exclusively in-home and have no issues whatsoever with incoming/outgoing calls or sending iMessage to and from our iPhone friends or SMS/MMS messages to our Android friends. However, some phones work better with WiFi-C than others. WiFi, which is different from WiFi-C needs to be enabled all of the time as well.

2 Messages

4 months ago

I just bought a KING KX3000 for my RV, no success registering it with AT&T, spent 2 hrs with customer service (mostly on hold and trying different departments) They have a booster app that doesn't work with my booster.

I ready to just use it but can't see any signal strength increase when turning it on, still only 1-2 bars, 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

4 months ago

Who has the app, KING or AT&T? The only Cell Booster app that AT&T has is for their Cell Booster, which isn't actually a cellular booster it's a femtocell, so you need to connect it to a land-based internet service. AT&T uses the term "cell booster" because most of the public understands the term cell booster but not femtocell.

You would have to see which bands and frequencies are available in the area that you are in. 

The KING KX3000 is a weBoost product and uses LTE bands 12/17, 13, 5, 4, 2, and 25. They do make excellent cellular boosters for in-home use and mobile use, but the mobile ones can be hit and miss due to location, elevation, interference, etc.

AT&T won't be able to help you because one, it is not their product so there is no customer support and two, there is nothing they can do to make the KX3000 work any better. For that, you'll have to contact weBoost or whoever the support is for the KING.

If you don't have it connected and turn on your phone by itself, what kind of reception do you get? If the phone is nice and strong, then it could be the 3000 not being able to reliably use the bands/frequencies available to it in your area. If the reception is the same, then you are in an area where your phone and 3000 just don't work well with AT&T's bands.

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.