For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?

AT&T related help: Boost your wireless signal

Evreddy's profile

• 

5 Messages

Thursday, August 25th, 2022 2:33 PM

Cell Booster Pro registered but will not activate

Cell booster pro registered but will not activate despite following app & website instructions. Power light flashes. No other lights. No help from att tech support.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

2 years ago

@Evreddy  The link is in my sig line, "AT&T Cell Booster Technical Guide by Otto Pylot". The second link below it is for Cellular Boosters.

Ok, you've connected the Cell Booster with a single ethernet cable from the yellow WAN port of the Cell Booster to an open LAN port on your router. And you've firmly connected the GPS antenna (it should click or snap into place) to the Cell Booster and placed the receiver end on a window or a window sill with an unobstructed view of the sky.

Have you reset the Cell Booster?

I do not recommend de-registering and then re-registering the Cell Booster immediately. You really need to put at least a few hours or ideally a day in-between the requests, The reason is that the AT&T femtocell system is slow. So if you place a request in the system to de-register your Cell Booster, and then shortly thereafter place another request in the system to re-register the same unit (serial number), the first request may not have entirely cleared thru the system so you will end up with conflicting requests which may lock your account (it doesn't know what to do). 

Support is basically clueless on the Cell Booster (which is why I wrote the Guide originally for the MicroCell and now the Cell Booster) and all they can do is follow the basic script. They try, but they just don't get the support that they need.

When I was testing the Cell Booster for AT&T, it took mine about 70 minutes total from unpacking to making/receiving calls. But yeah, it can take a couple of hours depending on the service area you are in.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

2 years ago

@OttoPylot  is on the west coast,  he's your rabbi on these. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

2 years ago

@formerlyknownas  Rabbi? 🙂

@Evreddy  Can you explain your setup in a little more detail? Have you read my Cell Booster Technical Guide? Link is in my sig line. 

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

Unpacked it then connected the cables & registered it. Rec'd email confirming registration. Called att tech support 2hrs later. Was told by "Vitor" that it might take 4hrs to activate. Left it overnight with flashing power light. No change next AM. Tried deleting &: re-registered 2x, no joy. Did not find your ref. procedure in your  sig line. 

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

Evidently I have a newer model unit, the cellboosterpro, which is physically different than the one depicted in the tech guide. Is that an issue? Thanks. 

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

And is yes to all of your procedural Qs above. Next is to read thru the tech guides to find the Magic Bullet.

Re: your username, might you be a fellow aviator?

Thanks for the help. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

2 years ago

@Evreddy  The Cell Booster and Cell Booster Pro are essentially the same. The differences are given in my Guide but the setup and operational aspects are identical. The Cell Booster was available a couple of months before the the Cell Booster Pro, and being as the majority of customers will be using the Cell Booster, that's what I keyed on. The Cell Booster Pro is really intended for FirstNet users and emergency services, and is quite a bit more expensive than the Cell Booster. For most home use, the Cell Booster should be all one would need. The Cell Booster Pro is supposed to offer 5G cellular service soon but I'm not sure how robust or reliable that will be given the current performance of LTE.

Who is your ISP and what kind of service do you have (cable, DSL, or fiber). Also your phone needs to meet AT&T's post-3G cellular requirements.

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

I'm using my att unlimited phone plan for next access, so no independent internet provider. Att customer svc specified that the cellboosterpro would be given & not sold to me. Haven't checked billing yet. My phone is 5g capable, but the camera is inop. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

2 years ago

@Evreddy  The Cell Booster/Pro requires a wired internet connection, which is either DSL, cable, or fiber. It can work, but is not very reliable, with satellite and/or wireless broadband but those types of connections are not supported by AT&T so if you have issues, you're on  your own. You must be physically connected to a router.

The CBP will eventually offer cellular 5G but your phone still needs to meet AT&T's post-3G requirements. It probably does but it's just something to keep in mind.

If you don't have a wired internet service, then it sounds like you might need a cellular booster (the Cell Booster is a femtocell, not a cellular booster) and if that's the case, then the second link in my sig line is a primer on cellular boosters. It is a little dated, and I'm working on a revision, but the basic information is still sound on what they can and can not do.

(edited)

4 Messages

9 months ago

Hello and this is helpful info. AT&T attempted to set me up using an ethernet connection to a Netgear Nighthawk AWB M6 Pro (MR6500). The cell booster is registered, however, it was registered to a "test" location at the store. Using the app, I attempted to change my location to our office but couldn't do that so I got frustrated and disconnected the test location then deleted both locations. I can't set up the booster again and can't add a location. 2 questions:

1. most importantly is this booster going to work connected to the AWB? 

2. how do I add a location - or is this covered under reregistering the device and if so, how do I do that?

Thanks-

Patti

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.