Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

Lakersfreak's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, September 13th, 2011 11:39 PM

I think I got fooled

I signed up for DirecTV today through an electronic store. I am a first time satellite customer. The salesman told me that DirecTV Cinema was all free and that I can watch newly released DVD's for free. Apparently thats not the case.... Why is DirecTV advertsing that you get 6,000 movies free with 400 of them being new releases when in fact its not true at all!!!! Someone please make me feel better.

ACE - Sage

• 

45.6K Messages

13 years ago

That's not what they actually advertise.  

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/directv/cinema?footernavtype=-1&lpos=header

Clearly states "Get access to 400 of the newest movie releases", but doesn't say those are free.  And then it goes to advertise "enjoy over 6,000 shows and movies at no extra charge."  The "no extra charge" is any added cost beyond the movie channels you already subscribe to.  So, for example, if you subscribe to Showtime, you can access all of their OnDemand shows and movies for "free", that is, no extra cost beyond what you're already paying for Showtime.  And there are LOTS of shows from the basic channels available without any premium channel subscriptions.  

Expert

• 

20.7K Messages

13 years ago

Quote: Originally Posted by lakersfreak 

Someone please make me feel better.

We see posts similar to yours from time to time.  It appears to me that your salesman didn't know what they were talking about and got your expectations too high.  If you think about it there is no service anywhere that offers recent release movies free of charge.  The Cinemaplus (non PPV) service is free, but that is based on your subscription package.  For example, if you want HBO On Demand, you must be a HBO customer.  There is lot's of content for even low level packages, but not a lot of full length movies.

It would seem to me that if you consider that the individual who misinformed you was probably simply not aware you'd feel better.  For those of us who have been around for some time the mere fact that we have the Cinemaplus (on demand) available is a huge step forward because until a couple of years ago none of these neat features were available.

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

13 years ago

lakersfreak,

Your first line of defense is NEVER believe what an electronics store salesman tells you until you validate it by a second, reliable source(like here).

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

I got fooled too.  I subscribed to Directv at Sam's Club.  When told about the 6000 "Free Movies", I told the salesman I would not be purchasing any premium channels (HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc.), and repeatedly asked (at least 3 times) if Directv Cinema would still be available to me.  Each time, the salesman assurred me that the package I purchased (Choice xtra) would ensure my access to the movies

When I called Directv, they told me the salesmen were not company employees so....they really couldn't do anything.  Subscription will be up in about 18 months.  I will then definitely be exploring options at that time.

ACE - Sage

• 

45.6K Messages

13 years ago

naborg08:

What did you really expect?  Did you think that those premium movies would suddenly become free because you download them from the internet?  They're still part of the premium movie subscriptions as dictated by those networks (HBO, Showtime, etc).  DirecTV can't magically give them to you for free because you have a DVR and internet.  As noted above, DirecTV's web site is actually pretty clear.  If the fact that DirecTV doesn't charge extra to access thousands of free TV shows and even some free movies is sufficient cause for you to jump ship, then I wish you luck finding another satellite or cable provider that will provide you premium movies for free.  And no, I don't work for DirecTV, just a customer like you.

Expert

• 

20.7K Messages

13 years ago

Here is the exact wording in Directv's ad.

2DIRECTV CINEMA™ — Access to DIRECTV CINEMA™ programming available at no additional charge based on package selection.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/directv/cinema

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

Three things:

1.  I did not have the exact wording of the advertisement in front of me when subscribing.

2.  As a result of #1, I extensively questioned the "Sales Person" whom I (mistakenly) presumed was a Directv employee.

3.  My fault for not remembering the axiom of "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't."

I have buyers remorse because I know I was deliberately mislead.   I will endeavor to not let this happen again.  It will definitely not happen again with Directv.  Contract time will be up soon enough.

ACE - Sage

• 

45.6K Messages

13 years ago

Quote: Originally Posted by naborg08 

... I will endeavor to not let this happen again.  It will definitely not happen again with Directv.  Contract time will be up soon enough.

Check those other provider's website carefully, too.  They're really no different than DirecTV's OnDemand. 

Expert

• 

20.7K Messages

13 years ago

Quote: Originally Posted by naborg08

Contract time will be up soon enough.

In case you don't know, everyone here is a user like you, no Directv employees. I have all of the exact same restrictions as you do as do all 20 million or so other Directv customers. I can understand that you are disappointed, but face the facts. You made an on the spot decision at a store, and I seriously doubt the crux of your decision making process centered on a free feature like Cinema. Further, you entered a 2 year contract without any research. All of the facts we've pointed out to you are readily available by Googling "Directv on demand". And, finally, if you want to leave, go, no one here cares one way or the other.

If I appear to be a bit snippy it's because several of us have taken our personal time to sooth your feelings and you resist at every turn.

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

13 years ago

I will reiterate one more time with the sound advice that in today's economy and marketplace(s) "buyer beware", "read all the fine print" and NEVER "believe what a salesman promises you"!!!!:0(

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

13 years ago

If you want to ease your buyers remorse, just think about what you are getting.

Among the best HD quality available. Whole home dvr with the ability to combine dvr's and share a combined playlist throughout your home. Stream your DVR content in full HD to any of your connected HD receivers. There are lots of free on demand programs available to download without any premium package subscriptions. And the fact that you have to download them to watch makes the quality better than service providers who stream them to you directly from their servers and lock in your quality depending on the speed of the connection. (and usually you can start watching almost instantly after starting the download) You get a more intuitive user experience than most other providers and the newer receivers and dvr's are very reliable and responsive. Yes maybe you were mislead a little, but I challenge you to line up all of your own facts from the other providers and then talk to their salespeople to see if what they say directly matches what the facts are.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

Quote: Originally Posted by litzdog911 

That's not what they actually advertise.  

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/directv/cinema?footernavtype=-1&lpos=heade

Clearly states "Get access to 400 of the newest movie releases", but doesn't say those are free.  And then it goes to advertise "enjoy over 6,000 shows and movies at no extra charge."  The "no extra charge" is any added cost beyond the movie channels you already subscribe to.  So, for example, if you subscribe to Showtime, you can access all of their OnDemand shows and movies for "free", that is, no extra cost beyond what you're already paying for Showtime.  And there are LOTS of shows from the basic channels available without any premium channel subscriptions.  

What they do not tell you is that the "LOTS of shows from the basic channels available without any premium channel subscriptions." are only in 480 and not in HD even if you have HD equipment. Please explain why they do that?   For example: "UP ALL NIGHT' is in 480 definition though it is broadcast in 1080 definition.Frown

ACE - Sage

• 

45.6K Messages

13 years ago

sailorc27:

Hopefully you realize that DirecTV doesn't control this OnDemand content.  You would need to ask the relevant channel/network by they're only providing SD versions of those shows or movies.  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

Quote: Originally Posted by litzdog911 

sailorc27:

Hopefully you realize that DirecTV doesn't control this OnDemand content.  You would need to ask the relevant channel/network by they're only providing SD versions of those shows or movies.  

Very good  answer, because I did not know that DirecTV did not supply the OnDemand content, but they do owe there customers the heads up that the content is in SD, because most of us would expect that if the show is shown in HD normally on DirecTV that we would expect the DirecTV Cinema to be in HD. If what you say is true, it might be in DirecTV's interest to explain the problem then we could complain to the providers. I guess this is similar to the lip syncing probem that occurs when DirecTV claims no resposibility and blames this on the content supplier, despite the fact they could sync the signal if they wanted to put the effort into it, but that  is a seperate issue for another day, but is used as an example where DirecTV is blaming other people for the product that customers pay DirecTV  to provide.

Thanks for the explanation but since my money is sent to DirecTV I still blame them and expect them to resolve the issue on there customers behalf.

Expert

• 

20.7K Messages

13 years ago

Quote: Originally Posted by sailorc27 

Please explain why they do that?  

Personally I've done all the explaining I intend to do.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.