Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

kevinshaal's profile

Contributor

Monday, April 8th, 2019 4:54 PM

Closed

Connecting PS4 to Internet

Our Wifi connection isn't strong enough for our do to play her PS4 through the internet. She says I need to connect it to our modem. Is this done by hdmi or ethernet. Also our modem is like 70 feet from her room, can I connect to her genie box or does it have to run all the way to the modem. Thanks for your help.

Contributor

5 years ago

*daughter not do

ACE - Sage

• 

45.6K Messages

5 years ago

@kevinshaal wrote:

Our Wifi connection isn't strong enough for our do to play her PS4 through the internet. She says I need to connect it to our modem. Is this done by hdmi or ethernet. Also our modem is like 70 feet from her room, can I connect to her genie box or does it have to run all the way to the modem. Thanks for your help.

No, you cannot connect a PS4 to the DirecTV Genie WiFi. That's a private WiFi for the Genie to communicate with wireless Mini Genie boxes. There's no internet access.

Contributor

5 years ago

You will need to use a ethernet cord from the modem itself.  Most big box stores sell long ethernet cords.  Fairly inexpensive as well.  

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

5 years ago

@kevinshaal 

PS4 will not connect to DriecTV equipment at all. So you normally have 3 simple options.

1. Built in WiFi. If this is the PS4 PRO in addition to the regular 2.4Ghz it supports the 5Ghz band, if your wireless router has this capability.

2. Direct Ethernet (commonly referred to as Cat 5 or Cat 6 for level of cord) to your router.

3. Powerline Adapter. One box plugged in by router, other at PS4. Uses your home's existing electrical wiring.

Based on the distance, I would highly consider the powerline adapter. Don't want a 100 foot Ethernet cord strung through the home. Though normally doesn't hit top speed of direct Ethernet, it is much better than WiFi as still a hardwire connection. Starter kits come with two boxes and two reasonably length Ethernet cords to connect the PS4 and router they are next to. This is one that has served me well: https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/powerline/tl-pa4010-kit/

There are other models of course depending on your needs. That one is simple (got the starter kit for less than $40 on Amazon myself), inexpensive, and still provides a very good connection along with power saving.

3 years ago

Can I connect a direcTV wireless video bridge into my ps4 (not the ps4 pro) using a lan cable for internet connection

ACE - Expert

• 

19.7K Messages

3 years ago

No.

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

3 years ago

@WilliamW_133 

DirecTV equipment will not provide internet access to other devices.

Th Wireless Video Bridge is only for connecting wireless Mini Genie Clients (C41W and C61W) to the main Genie for watching your satellite TV. Has nothing to do with providing internet access.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.