Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

geauxyeaux's profile

Contributor

Friday, June 7th, 2019 12:04 AM

upgraded to genie 2 lost all recordings?

Just "upgraded" to a Genie2 today, with four mini receivers in bedrooms. All the movies, games, and programs recorded on my previous Directv box are not showing up in my "recordings". Are they gone forever? I can't find a way to retrieve them or even see that they were ever purchased. Does anyone know how I can find them?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

19.7K Messages

5 years ago

They are gone, DTV has never had a way to transfer recording or settings to a new receiver.  AFAIK purchases are tried to the receiver also.

Contributor

5 years ago

If you change any receiver to a different one, the recordings on the previous unit are lost. If you have the ability, hook your receiver up to a dvd recorder and transfer your recordings before you turn it in. Otherwise, you'll lose them permanently.

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

5 years ago

Recordings are not transferable as encrypted to the DVR that captured them.

Mini Genies (Clients, not receivers) are just extensions of the main Genie/Genie-2 so only show you what the main box has access to.

The Genie-2 (HS17) only allows Clients so puts one point of failure for your recording list. A regular Genie (HR34, HR44, HR54) in addition to Clients, allows full HDDVR receivers which each comes with 2 tuners as well as 500GB (since HR22) recording space. A Genie and 2 HDDVRs is 9 tuners, more capability then the Genie-2 allows and with each having their own recording list and processing it is not a situation of one point of failure to affect the entire system.

Contributor

5 years ago

Actually NO! THEY ARE NOT GONE! No offense but I upgraded to the Genie 2 in June of 2019 & I asked them before they installed my Genie 2 to my new home, I moved & had my direct t.v. transfered 2 my new home. So Any way I asked about my recordings & all the movies I bought before they came over. The customer service rep said I can't keep them if I upgraded. I told him, that wasnt fair, I wanted a refund for all the movies I purchased then because direct tv guarantees that u can keep all your stuff as long as u stay with direct tv! So the man found a SOLUTION! I was able to upgrade to the genie 2 in 4 rooms like before but I kept my Genie 1 in my living room & and put 3 new genie 2 in the other 3 bedrooms! I still have everything I recorded& bought from 2 yrs ago to present because of that! It was a great solution! Unfortunatly I have to have a cable hooked to my livingroom which will make it trickier to rearrange my living room but it was a solution! Sorry about your loss with all your recordings hopefully they come back on again. I would ask for a refund on any movies you bought that you lost due to their False advertisement & big mistake. They made it right for me but I only got a 75% upgrade "technically" but it worked out decent. I don't believe I have more space either. If I did I wouldn't have to delte any thing to get a bunch of new recordings. I'm still happy though. 

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

5 years ago

@Jkrup30 wrote:

I was able to upgrade to the genie 2 in 4 rooms like before but I kept my Genie 1 in my living room & and put 3 new genie 2 in the other 3 bedrooms! I still have everything I recorded& bought from 2 yrs ago to present because of that! 

There is something severely wrong with your statement. DirecTV only allows one Genie (HR34, HR44, HR54) or Genie-2 (HS17) on the account. You cannot have a Genie and 3 Genie-2s, so check the model numbers. This is expressly forbidden by their system as multiple Genies fight against each other as each tries to be a server. So you should have either a single Genie with Clients and/or HDDVRs and/or HD non-DVRs or a Genie-2 with Clients only. A major downside of the Genei-2 is that it forbids all other receivers from being on the account which makes it worse than a regular Genie.

The recordings of a DVR are not transferable to another (Genie or not). You still have your recordings because you still have your Genie DVR to begin with.

ACE - Sage

• 

45.6K Messages

5 years ago

@Jkrup30 , I think you're confusing your terminology. What are the actual model numbers of those "Genie" boxes?  I'm guessing you still have one Genie DVR and several Mini Clients. Only the main Genie DVR holds the recordings. 

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.