Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

bazzne's profile

Contributor

Friday, March 15th, 2019 2:31 PM

What size hard drive is in my hr54-500?

I would like to know what size hard drive is in my hr54-500 and if I would be better off to put a larger 2gb or more  in my hr54

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Employee

• 

144 Messages

5 years ago

The hr54 has a 1TB hard drive. Keep in mind that if you use an external hard drive the recordings will still be tied to that receiver and will not transfer if you connect the external hard drive to another receiver. 

Employee

• 

142 Messages

5 years ago

Also keep in mind plugging another drive replaces the internal drive

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

5 years ago

@bazzne wrote:

I would like to know what size hard drive is in my hr54-500 and if I would be better off to put a larger 2gb or more  in my hr54

The regular Genie line (HR34, HR44, HR54) has a 1TB hard drive. Initially it was cautiously set to support up to 4TB, but many people use up to 12TB or larger without issue.

Must be external eSATA with fan exclosure. As replaces internal (so to prevent transferring of recordings), it should be larger to make it worth it. Also recordings are still encrypted to the DVR so cannot be transferred to another one if you get a replacement.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.