Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

ronwv48's profile

Contributor

Wednesday, February 20th, 2019 9:29 PM

hr 54 change to hr44

Just got directv and I want caller id on tv screen.Can I get a hr 44 from ebay and swap it for the hr54 and just change the activation card? will it work

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

45.6K Messages

5 years ago

@ronwv48 wrote:

Just got directv and I want caller id on tv screen.Can I get a hr 44 from ebay and swap it for the hr54 and just change the activation card? will it work

Nope. Won't work.  Access cards are married to their specific DVR.  And most eBay stuff can't be activated on your account because it's still under someone else's lease, or stolen.  Furthermore, even you got a working HR44 that you could activate, it's likely that Caller ID won't work anymore because that feature was removed from last year's software update.  

Bottom line is that newer DirecTV equipment no longer support Caller ID. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

5 years ago

Starting with HR54 boxes are no longer made with a phone jack. The new GUI software removes outdated features like Caller ID on TV.

Though HR44 is last box made with a phone jack, it receives the new GUI so the menu option for Caller ID goes away.

Do NOT get the 1st generation Genie (HR34) as over time and updates has heating issues and a slower processor than the later two models.

Any other boxes that have a phone jack, such as a regular HDDVR (latest model HR24), stay on the old software so Caller ID on TV is still in the menu. But the feature hasn't been supported for years, just left to run as is and only works with plain old telephone systems (POTS). So the feature may work, just no guarantee as landlines update to new technology. If you have any Clients, a HDDVR is recommended anyway as more capability and reliability with no difference in monthly cost.

Contributor

5 years ago

thanks that is what I needed to know , is there anything out there that will put caller id on the tv screen?

ACE - Sage

• 

45.6K Messages

5 years ago

I'm not aware of any cost-effective solutions to superimposing Caller ID information on your TV's video input.  Sorry.

ACE - Expert

• 

19.7K Messages

5 years ago

The older HR24 may still work if you still have a plain old analog phone line.

ACE - Sage

• 

45.6K Messages

5 years ago

@shannon02 wrote:

The older HR24 may still work if you still have a plain old analog phone line.

True.  The older non-Genie boxes still work fine with Caller ID. 

Contributor

5 years ago

my phone line is through hughesnet satellite. looks like it won't work anyway. thanks for the help

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

5 years ago

@ronwv48 wrote:

my phone line is through hughesnet satellite. looks like it won't work anyway. thanks for the help

Correct. They were not built to support VOIP type phones. So DirecTV boxes being connected to a traditional phone line are a feature of the past.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.