Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

litzdog911's profile
ACE - Sage

ACE - Sage

• 

45.6K Messages

Friday, May 14th, 2010 12:16 AM

UPDATE: How to add MRV if you're using your own networking (not DECA)

Thanks to Doug Brott at DBSTalk for clarifying these exact instructions to help you walk the CSR through the process of activating MRV on your account when you're using your own networking equipment.

NOTE: If you are ordering DECA/SWiM, DO NOT follow this procedure. Simply order DECA/SWiM and MRV will work out the way it's supposed to.

This procedure is for those folks who want to use their own home networking and continue to enjoy Multiroom viewing.

Call 1-800-531-5000

* Give Your Phone # when prompted

* At the main menu voice prompt say "Whole Home DVR Service"

At this point you should be connected to an agent

* Tell the agent that you have been participating in the 'Whole Home DVR Service beta' and you want to enable 'MRV-Capability' so that you can activate 'Whole Home DVR Service' on your account

* Ask the CSR to cancel (or do not enter) the Whole Home DVR upgrade screen

* Ask the CSR to enter 'Account Attributes' and choose 'Create New'. The only option here is 'MRV-Capability' and it should be set to 'u' (for unsupported) with mostly defaults. At this point, you have enabled the 'MRV' flag and you could (in theory) order from the web page. I saw it when viewing my account via the web.

* Once this has been set, the CSR will have to exit your account information and then reenter your account information screen so that the information refreshes.

* At this point, the CSR can now enable "Whole Home DVR Service"

If you can politely get the CSR to follow through this process I am confident that you will be set up for MRV. It took me 30 minutes working with the CSR to get to this point, but I would expect most any CSR to be able to work through this with you in less than 10 minutes. It's a pretty fast process if you know how to do it, so help the CSR out and you'll both be much happier. 

For official support call DirecTV Satellite 1-800-531-5000, DirecTV Stream 1-888-429-4023, DirecTV Gemini dedicated 1-888-488-4742, or AT&T 1-800-288-2020. 

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not a DIRECTV employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

14 years ago

I discovered that there is a difference between the Mulit-room DVR service over a home network and the Whole-Home DVR service over DECA.

The video and audio sent over the home network is down sampled to less than 1920 x 1080 and from Dolby digital 5.1 to Dolby 2.0. when viewed remotely. HD over DECA is full resolution and 5.1 Dolby Digital when viewed remotely or otherwise.

I verified this was happening with remote views over my network (CAT6 gigabit Ethernet) with my home theaters and the CSR verified it as well.

That in itself was enough to justify going to the Whole-Home DVR service over DECA even though I had the Mulit-room DVR service over my home network working flawlessly.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

14 years ago

I don't think the CSR will follow your instruction, they won't just do things customer told them to do!

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

14 years ago

Uhmm... my TV shows the remote shows as 1080 and the sound as Dolby Digital 5.1

At this point I am not trusting the CSR information much, they were not giving me good answers today, they even told me that there was no way of using MRV with my own network, even after I explained I already had it working 100%.

Can anyone verify this too ?

Miguel

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

14 years ago

I just got spoke with a CSR and my Whole Room DVR is now acitve with my own network and not utilizing DECA. When I tried to order it online it said I was not elgible and to call the 800 number.  I called and after speaking with the CSR we both noticed that even though I have HD on my account, the system did not think I had this service because of the programming I have.

The CSR had me click on Activate Now for the HD, it activated, but when I would log out and back in it would say I needed to activate HD again (like I have never had it).  The CSR then made a couple of updates and followed the directions posted in the forum for getting Whole Room Access without DECA and now it is set up and working great.

When I log into my account now it show that my HD is activated and also shows that my Whole Room DVR is active.  Also my receivers refreshed and I no longer see the Beta in the system setup.

Just like everyone else says, if you get the right CSR it works like a charm.

Good luck everyone!

ACE - Sage

• 

45.6K Messages

14 years ago

You might need to call back a few times.  But you'll eventually find a CSR that understands how to do this.  Or wait a few days for the dust to settle. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by
cadmandigital4u

ACE - Sage

• 

45.6K Messages

14 years ago

Miguel:

You absolutely can use MRV with your own network.  DirecTV just won't provide any support if you have issues with it.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by
bennasar

Expert

• 

20.7K Messages

14 years ago

Note that the information posted by cadmanddigital4u is incorrect.  MRV passes the full video and audio resolution, including Dolby 5.1 and 1080i or 720p from the DVR to the networked receiver/DVR, there is no down resolution.  This is true whether the network is DECA or Cat5 cable.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

14 years ago

deron:

Did you have to opt out of the beta service for your receivers to take the update?  My DVR still shows that I am using the beta service, but my account shows that I do have MRV active.

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

14 years ago

Thanks everyone for the input, will let you know what happens, but wil wait a couple of days before trying again, in the meantime, having fun with my beta ! 🙂  

I really think this service makes a HUGE difference.. they should release a player that only connects to the network, no satellite requiered, I would be willing to pay the same as a satellite receiver. But of course, with DECA this doesnt make sense.

Miguel

Expert

• 

20.7K Messages

14 years ago

bennasar,  Matter of fact  Directv is developing a "whole house DVR" that will have multiple tuners, a big hard drive and will supply other "satellite" boxes elsewhere in the home using the MRV and DECA technology.  However, as you say, with DECA you can add a box anywhere, run the coax and be connected to the dish, the other boxes, the Internet and your computer, all with the single coax.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

14 years ago

No I didnt have to opt out of the beta, unless the CSR did that for me over the phone. As soon as the CSR told me to check my account on the web it showed as active. Then she had me check my setup on my receivers and the Beta program was gone.

Guru

• 

856 Messages

14 years ago

I didn't have to opt out, she tuned it on and had me go to Multi-room in the menu and check status and it said "Authorized".

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

14 years ago

That is basically what happened to me too.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

14 years ago

I see.  My standard HD receiver no longer has the beta option, but the DVR does.  However, looking online I do see that MVR has been activated on my account.  I guess it may take a few more days for the flow down.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

14 years ago

I just tried this and the CSR said that he could no longer do this, put a bunch of notes in my account and said someone would contact me in 48-72 hours to get this setup. Ill post then....

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.