Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

litzdog911's profile
ACE - Sage

ACE - Sage

• 

45.6K Messages

Friday, May 21st, 2010 4:17 AM

UPDATE 5/20: Enabling MRV using your own unsupported home networking

Updated information from Doug Brott, moderator at DBSTalk ....

I posted a thread last week in which I detailed a method for getting MRV enabled in an 'unsupported' mode when talking to a CSR.

DIRECTV has asked that we make a change in our process for requesting 'unsupported' setup.

At this point, the recommended (and requested by DIRECTV) method for getting your account set to 'unsupported' is to use E-mail.

Simply click here to get started.

• Enter your contact information
  • For Topic, select "Services"
  • For Topic, select "Whole Home DVR Service"
  • For Subject, Enter "Please enable Whole Home DVR Service in for public beta customer"
  • For Question, Enter "I would like to add whole home DVR Service to my account using my existing equipment. I am already networked and was part of the Multiroom Viewing Public Beta that has been going on the past few months. I realize this will add $3/month to my bill."
  • Enter the security information
  • Press Continue

At this point, please do not use Twitter nor call CSRs to make this request. Sending an E-mail will provide you with the most effective method to success.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=177590

For official support call DirecTV Satellite 1-800-531-5000, DirecTV Stream 1-888-429-4023, DirecTV Gemini dedicated 1-888-488-4742, or AT&T 1-800-288-2020. 

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not a DIRECTV employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

14 years ago

Par-don - but why the HE** should I have to pay for this when I'm using my own equipment and cabling to network? And ATT Uverse and Dish have it for free?  I thought your previous post about email requesting was to request it for FREE - but if they're thinking I'm going to pay for this, I'm tired of the nickel and diming. Pricing ATT Uverse TV as we speak.

ACE - Sage

• 

45.6K Messages

14 years ago

Quote: Originally Posted by kmrussell 

Par-don - but why the HE** should I have to pay for this when I'm using my own equipment and cabling to network? And ATT Uverse and Dish have it for free?  I thought your previous post about email requesting was to request it for FREE - but if they're thinking I'm going to pay for this, I'm tired of the nickel and diming. Pricing ATT Uverse TV as we speak.

Because DirecTV decided to charge $3/mo, regardless of what network equipment you use.  You're certainly welcome to look elsewhere, but you won't find anyone offering this level of capability at any price.  And nobody's forcing anyone to pay $3/mo if they don't think it's worth it.  I certainly think it's worth it.  And no, I don't work for DirecTV.  

Just be sure to compare those alternatives carefully. 

Expert

• 

20.7K Messages

14 years ago

I'm not quite sure where folks get the idea that any company would develop both the software and hardware to facilitate MRV and then donate it?  Personally I think the $3 is a bargain. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

14 years ago

Folks go to other widget-makers because the other widgets are the color they like, not because they know the other widget-company put more $$ into their widget.

Guru

• 

856 Messages

14 years ago

Dish does not have MRV the way Directv does. The Dish system let's you watch a second TV in SD. Whole Home lets you watch any program from any DVR in the house in HD.

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

14 years ago

Thank you for taking the time to coordinate with DTV and posting this information. I have submitted the request as detailed in your post - I will post back later with results so others will know time frame / any issues. I also appreciate that DTV will allow those of us with working setups to continue to use it and I agree $3 is a non-issue and I also consider it a bargain.

Expert

• 

20.7K Messages

14 years ago

Adding your account number to the email will save the CSR some time I would think.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

14 years ago

Wish I would have found this forum before calling DirecTv three times and spending way too much time on the phone. First off, not all the CSR know what the heck this even is. The last one said I needed DECA and it would cost me $99 for a tech to come out. I told him he was crazy! I have now sent them an email like suggested... I will let you know how that goes.

ACE - Sage

• 

45.6K Messages

14 years ago

Keep us posted.  It seems that the email route is working well for most folks.  

One potential problem area, though, is folks with older "legacy" programming packages.  Those will need to be updated to enable WHDVR Service. 

Mentor

• 

19 Messages

14 years ago

sending an email is great...but if you need to upgrade your programming package its  a waste of time....the new Whole Home DVR will only work with the new programming packages...Chocie Xtra or Choice Ulitmate....if you dont see those names on your bill you will need to CALL not send an email to get it done...I tried the stupid email twice but they wouldnt upgrade the package...So i upgraded the package online and then made the call it took 5 mins....

I now have it working and its works great....worth the $3 a month

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

14 years ago

Please Note:

Users litzdog911 and jh029s are both spot on regarding a "no longer current programming package" being an activation "requirement". But even if your current programming package states "Choice Xtra" on your online account........if you subscribed to that package BEFORE they increased the subscription charge by $1/month for that package, you will STILL need to call to upgrade your package before they can activate WHDS(unless adding some verbiage "authorizing them to do that" could be included in your email.....not sure they would do that via email)!!!!!!

P.S.

oops, just noticed user jh029s had a "solution: for that(upgrade on the website logged into your account, before emailing)....although you may need to know "for certain" that an upgrade is "necessary".

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

14 years ago

I'm a new DirecTV subscriber (2 months) and there are not any upgrade options listed on my account, so presumably if it can work via eMail, it should work for me. It has only been 3hrs since I submitted my request - I imagine it could take upto 24hrs, so I will wait and see out of curiosity. I also prefer to wait vs wading through customer service. While some on the dbsTalk forum have lucked out with a knowledgeable rep and been done in a few minutes, others tell of multiple calls and hour plus marathons.

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

14 years ago

Just received an email from DirecTV - notifying me that MRV was activated. Checked my DVRs (2 model 23s) and both show it enabled and working. No need for restart or service refresh.

So - about 5 hours from the time I sent the email to activation.

ACE - Sage

• 

45.6K Messages

14 years ago

Quote: Originally Posted by mobius 

Just received an email from DirecTV - notifying me that MRV was activated. Checked my DVRs (2 model 23s) and both show it enabled and working. No need for restart or service refresh.

So - about 5 hours from the time I sent the email to activation.

Good to hear!  Thanks for the update.  Enjoy!

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

14 years ago

As many here, I agree that the 3.00 for MRV is a bargain, because of it I also added another receiver 🙂 (so it is not only 3.00!)

Enjoy !

Miguel

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.