Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

pjk5's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, April 14th, 2019 9:07 PM

Refresh D12 Receiver

MY D!@ receiver needs to be refreshed.  Directv tells me that they will no longer refresh the D12.  Is this true?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

19.7K Messages

5 years ago

They are shutting down the MPEG2 SD channels starting this month so that D12 and the round dish are obsolete, they should replace it for free or upgrade you to a Genie.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

5 years ago

@pjk5 wrote:

MY D!@ receiver needs to be refreshed.  Directv tells me that they will no longer refresh the D12.  Is this true?

DirecTV has just started shutting down the MPEG-2 (SD only) feeds which means for some people replacing their boxes and receiving dish. The D12 is the last MPEG-2 non-DVR made. Should have received notice from them in the last several months about the required MPEG swap.

The shutdown will take some time, so you might be able to use www.directv.com/refresh to refresh the service authorizations yourself, but if it works it will only be temporary. Must call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 and get the complimentary swap.

If you have any other boxes, what models are they?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

45.6K Messages

5 years ago

@pjk5 wrote:

also have a D11.  Assume the same fate!  These are used in motorhome and camping trailer.  Genie is an expensive overkill.  Don't need any DVR type device.

Any SWM device will just be another problem.  Is the H23 supported?

What DVR/Receivers models do you have at home?

DirecTV is swapping old SD equipment for FREE with newer MPEG4 compatible equipment. If you haven't received an email about that, call them .... 1 800 531 5000

With an HD Slimline dish, or Winegard Trav'ler HD dish, you can use any modern HD DVR or Receiver, such as H23/24/25 HD Receivers or HR24 HD DVR.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

also have a D11.  Assume the same fate!  These are used in motorhome and camping trailer.  Genie is an expensive overkill.  Don't need any DVR type device.

Any SWM device will just be another problem.  Is the H23 supported?

Tutor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Opps, I mean H24.  Sorry!

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

5 years ago

Any model with H is MPEG-4 (SD and HD capable). So non-DVRs H20 thru H25 are MPEG-4.

D12 is the last non-DVR MPEG-2 box made. So yes D11 and older must be replaced.

DirecTV is doing a complimentary MPEG swap for affected customers, which started months ago before the shutdown started. For those now doing so last minute, they seem to be only offering a Genie and Mini Genie Clients as an MPEG swap. To avoid DVR completely you would have to upgrade instead which would come with 24 month agreement.

Whether you do MPEG swap or upgrade, DirecTV will install a new receiving dish on your home, but not the RV. The RV you would have to go through an RV installer for the custom setup.

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

5 years ago

Oh and MPEG-4 boxes available can use SWM and the older multi-switch. It is only the Genie models, and H25, that are SWM-only.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.