Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

takenover831's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, September 8th, 2011 6:57 PM

Tversity, Orb, iSedora, Playon, Media Player etc.. - What do you use?

I have tried a few. These were tested on Windows 7 x64. Please share your experiences.

Tversity (1.8/1.7.4))- I have problems with video's stopping if I leave it paused for even just a few minutes. Newer versions (1.9) do not work at all.

iSedora- I tried this one, recommended by another user. Unfortunately, to many of my video's get the dreaded, no audio error.

Orb- Seems to transcode a bit slower then competition. Lack of options.

Expert

• 

20.7K Messages

13 years ago

I run TVersity 1_7_4_1, use it only for short clips and don't leave it paused.  Mediashare is a rudimentary program and if you keep your use simple it's fine.  If you expect it to be like a DVD player then you'll have lots of problems.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

I don't expect it to be. But if I can't pause when the phone rings or when I have to run to the bathroom without the video screwing up when I return, then that's a fail in my opinion. I have been testing Serviiio. It seems to fit the bill so far. No pausing bug, fast transcoding, auto watches library for updates, all video's I have tested have audio, etc..

http://www.serviio.org/

Scholar

• 

345 Messages

13 years ago

I use TVersity as well. It works ok for vlideo clips and MP3 but I have seen the screen saver logo come up during video play as well as other weirdness. I think anyone who wants to watch movies streamed from their PC media server would be better served buying a blu ray player with DLNA functionality. They are usually much more broad in their compatibility with different video types and formats.

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

13 years ago

I, like user dcd, use TVersity 1_7_4_1 but actually have stopped using Media Share altogether for videos because of the lack of trick play. I added a Western Digital WDTV Live Media Hub to my entertainment center and networked it and it plays virtually every format of video(including VOB-format ripped DVD movies) that I've thrown at it. It came with a 1TB internal drive and I added a 2TB external(it uses both) so I have plenty of storage for videos. And both the internal and external drives show up as network drives. Heck, even Media Share recognizes the content stored on this thing, but of course won't play anything but it's mpeg2 videos. The WDTV Live of course also accesses many of the Internet portals like Netflix, Blockbuster & Pandora(Netflix streaming was the main reason I added this device). I still like the Media Share convenience for Music and Photo slideshows(and being able to add music background to slideshows is a really nice feature) and use the TVersity interface for those. Like eluded to by user fragile, if you are looking for a full-blown media player......buy one:0)

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

I have a HDX-1000 in my kids room (like a popcorn hour). I had a XBMC build at one time, but sold that Media Center to a friend. I have had plenty of Blu-ray players over the years. I do not currently need or want to add another box to my living room. I will make the best of my HR24-100 for now and save my money.

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

I use TVersity 1.8 Beta on a Windows 7 Home Premium PC. It works great for movies, music, and pictures. I am able to watch most movies, but surround sound is converted to stereo. There is no pausing, fast forward, or reverse. If you start a movie, you must watch to end. It would be nice if D* would fix the many problems and get the application out of Beta mode. Note: later versions of TVersity such as 1.9 or greater do not stream movies to D*.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

Augh! I'm so frustrated! OK, been round n round with this, and about to throw this out the window! I've tried TVersity - get the lovely, "can't play this video" but will play audio, or sometimes it plays the video and no audio, either way, never plays both! That's using the version recommended several times here, and then tried other versions as well! Tried a few others to no avail, then finally saw this post and thought I'd finally found the answer - TVShare. Nope! I actually have already paid for the full version, because when I started the free trial, which will play up to 15 mins of video, it WORKED!! I was so excited! Went to play my movie, a dvd rip in .avi format, (and yes I do have VLC) and guess what....video, NO AUDIO!!!! I get the error message that asks if I want to play anyway, and whether I choose "yes" or just sit and wait, whatever, no audio plays! I have tried restarting the server, then VLC, then the whole system, same outcome! Any ideas? I have seen on this forum the suggestion to use a networked BluRay player, and I have one! It's wired via ethernet cable to the network, it's a Samsung, and so is my HDTV, plays Netflix, YouTube, Blockbuster, all great! How can I use that to play video from my PC if there are no suggestions on the TVShare? You have no idea how much any help would be appreciated!!!! I will owe you BIG!!!!!! 

Guru

• 

646 Messages

13 years ago

I use iSedora (Mac version) and have no issues with audio.  In the configuration screen for my DVRs, I only have MPEG TS checked.  Rarely a video won't play at all but I haven't found a repeatable pattern for this.

With my Samsung Blu-ray player, after I turn it on I press the red button to select iSedora as the source and then choose Video.  That procedure should work with any server (the DVRs show up on the list of the Samsung, but all you can do is see the playlist, not play anything because of the encryption).

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

I can only use PlayOn. TVersity just failed for me when it came to dealing with anying mkv related. WMP would of "probably" worked, but I didn't go far in trying to make it work. PlayOn was the easiest thing ever for me :D, only had to install VLC Media Player, and it was good to go.

My only issues now are subtitle support, and video playlists. If those were fixed (or even just the playlist itself), PlayOn would just be win 😛

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

13 years ago

I use TVShare (http://www.tvmediashare.com/index.html). It was easy to setup and uses VLC Media Center as its decoder. I have found that you can use almost any format of video. The software also has the ability to "resume" a viewing along with a "skip" forward and backward option, something that is really lacking in TVersity. User support is via email and responsive.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

12 years ago

Quote: Originally Posted by redbeard 

I use TVShare (http://www.tvmediashare.com/index.html). It was easy to setup and uses VLC Media Center as its decoder. I have found that you can use almost any format of video. The software also has the ability to "resume" a viewing along with a "skip" forward and backward option, something that is really lacking in TVersity. User support is via email and responsive.

Thanks Redbeard! SmileI wonder if it improves streaming quality? Anyway It looks worth a free try! Smile (The link above pulls a 404 error up, so may just want to Google "TVShare")

Thank again! Smile

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.