Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

jareds's profile
Employee

Employee

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, March 6th, 2019 3:53 PM

I'm being asked to upgrade my iPAD DirecTV App

I'm using the DirecTV app on an older iPAD...the software version is iOS 9.  The app was working fine yesterday (3/5/19) but today it's saying that I need to update the app.  The app store says that I have the newest version of the DirecTV app for my version of iOS.  So at this point, I don't have a working DirecTV app on my iPad.  Please help!

*I am a DIRECTV employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent DIRECTV's position, strategies or opinions.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Employee

• 

144 Messages

5 years ago

From what I have read the new version of the DirecTV app requires iOS 10 or above, unlike the previous version that ran on iOS 9 and above. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

47 Messages

5 years ago

Apple is putting the iPad 2 out to pasture completely effective the end of this month.  This means they will no longer service it. 

I have an iPad 3 which was the first Retina display iPad but still with the 30 pin connector.  It is a fine device but over time I recognize more and more apps are dictating a minimum supported iOS level higher than 9.3.5,  I don't like it either. 

Conversely I can happily run Windows 10 and all of its programs on 2006 vintage PC hardware which is around the time when AMD introduced 64-bit architecture. 

Several apps I use have already done the iOS restriction.  In some cases the app store will continue to offer the last working version of an app.  Because streaming apps have to access a back-end systems, the developers may refuse to support the older version clients connecting to their servers.  As of this writing, Uverse app does continue to work on the older iOS.  For how long that will last I couldn't say.

None of this is meant to excuse what att did, but rather to point out how life in an apple world works.  If you think it's bad now, find someone with an original iPad and ask them how they feel about obsolescence. 

Contributor

5 years ago

The same thing happened to me today when I tried to open the ap. Are we now just unable to use the ap since we have older version s of iPads that aren’t compatible with iOS 10? 

Employee

• 

144 Messages

5 years ago

It looks that way. If support has ended for iOS9 and a device cannot update past that OS then the app will not work on that device. 

ACE - Sage

• 

45.6K Messages

5 years ago

@morrowof5 wrote:

The same thing happened to me today when I tried to open the ap. Are we now just unable to use the ap since we have older version s of iPads that aren’t compatible with iOS 10? 

That's right.  You'll need a device that supports iOS 10 or later. 

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

5 years ago

update the ipad to ios 10, problem solved

Tutor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Dear Dog911,
the new DirectTV app knows that I am running IOS 9.3.5 which is the latest for my IPad 3. It also offers to link to an older version of the DirectTV app which does not pull the correct (older) version down. It just downloads the same new version which requires IOS 10 or greater. (Lather, Rinse, repeat)

BTW, none of the other IPad apps I use have locked me out.

You sound arrogant/ignorant repeatedly telling users to upgrade their devices to a non-existent IOS version for their older devices.

ACE - Sage

• 

45.6K Messages

5 years ago

@Sondew wrote:

Dear Dog911,
the new DirectTV app knows that I am running IOS 9.3.5 which is the latest for my IPad 3. It also offers to link to an older version of the DirectTV app which does not pull the correct (older) version down. It just downloads the same new version which requires IOS 10 or greater. (Lather, Rinse, repeat)

BTW, none of the other IPad apps I use have locked me out.

You sound arrogant/ignorant repeatedly telling users to upgrade their devices to a non-existent IOS version for their older devices.

Gee, sorry my response seemed "arrogant" 😞

Just stating the fact that the new app no longer supports iOS versions older than v10.  The link to download the old version of the app will probably go away because it's likely a mistake. There won't be any way to download the old version. 

Contributor

5 years ago

I too was made to update yesterday when  I opened the app to use it.  I have a newer iPad that has OS 12.1.4 installed.....so why can’t I get any channels below 220????  This makes no sense, I purchased the equipment, DVR higher grade and it worked for 6 months.  This makes NO sense.

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

5 years ago

@Sondew wrote:

im sure this is directed at me.

i dont recall anyplace you stating a maximum ios version for your device, or its current lack of support

operating systems are not supported forever, neither or devices

if you want an app that requires something newer than you  have, then its time to upgrade.

tablets are cheap, almost disposable cheap, well maybe not ipads

everything reaches its end of life sooner or later

ACE - Professor

• 

47 Messages

5 years ago

From a technical perspective, Apple forced all apps to move to 64 bit architecture.  In many cases, apps become unsupported and that obsoletes the hardware.  Have an iPhone 3G?  How many apps still run on that thing.

I have an iPad 3 also and it's a fine device but over time it will become nothing more than a doorstop.

It is possible the broadcaster apps may still work and worth looking at although I suspect over time those too will stop working on iOS 9.3.5.

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

5 years ago

that remids me i think i will fire up my old win95 machine and install vr games on it...............

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Why can't directv rename the old app to directv old or something similar and take out the code that says update required?    Other software manufacturers do not allow a new version unless it is compatable.     Telling millions of iPad owners that iPads are cheap is indeed arrogant.

ACE - Professor

• 

47 Messages

5 years ago

This is a case where Apple is weaker than certainly Microsoft.  Apps in iOS deprecate much faster.  Developers have no reason to support older operating systems and when Apple cutoff 32 bit support, a lot of nice hardware ends up getting left in the dust.  If streaming video is important to a tablet, might be better off with one from Amazon as they are truly inexpensive and while they are not iPads, they certainly can do the job of watching the likes of streaming video.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I looked on Amazon and Costco today. An equivalent to what I have now is $600 - $700. The only app I use that no longer works on my iPad2 is Directv. Perhaps Directv should give each of us $300 to help with the necessary upgrade due to their unwillingness to be responsive to consumers. We are not asking them to give us a reprogrammed app, just do not take the old one away that worked fine for our purposes.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.