Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

Jamesmc's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Saturday, June 29th, 2019 7:12 PM

Closed

101 satellite

Will Directv cease transmission on the 101 satellite or will it continue to transmit for a few years?  I've read that will happen in April 2019 but here it is almost July and it's still working.  Some web sites (not the ATT Forum) says it will continue to operate for a long time.  Also can I directly replace my old egg shaped dish on m RV with a SL3 to get the 103 satellite for HD, assuming the SD 101 satellite really does stop transmitting.  I have an H24 box in the RV.

ACE - Sage

• 

45.6K Messages

5 years ago

@Jamesmc wrote:

Will Directv cease transmission on the 101 satellite or will it continue to transmit for a few years?  I've read that will happen in April 2019 but here it is almost July and it's still working.  Some web sites (not the ATT Forum) says it will continue to operate for a long time.  Also can I directly replace my old egg shaped dish on m RV with a SL3 to get the 103 satellite for HD, assuming the SD 101 satellite really does stop transmitting.  I have an H24 box in the RV.

Transmissions will continue from the 101º satellite.  But they're phasing out the old MPEG2 standard definition signal during this year (started back in April). So all SD-only equipment must be replaced with newer Hi-Def capable equipment, including a Slimline satellite dish (like the SL3). DirecTV will swap your old equipment for free.  Call them ... 1 800 531 5000

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

I did call them because of the letters I've received from DTV.  They told me I needed to upgrade to a HD receiver to replace my SD D12. But not for free, that H24 cost me $128.   They didn't say anything about a new dish.  I installed the H24 in my RV but I still couldn't pick up the HD 103 satellite only the SD 101.    I've found out now that I also would need a HD type dish like the SL3.  So my question is can I order and replace my old egg shaped dish with a SL3 on the RV.

ACE - Sage

• 

45.6K Messages

5 years ago

@Jamesmc wrote:

I did call them because of the letters I've received from DTV.  They told me I needed to upgrade to a HD receiver to replace my SD D12. But not for free, that H24 cost me $128.   They didn't say anything about a new dish.  I installed the H24 in my RV but I still couldn't pick up the HD 103 satellite only the SD 101.    I've found out now that I also would need a HD type dish like the SL3.  So my question is can I order and replace my old egg shaped dish with a SL3 on the RV.

The free replacement program only applies to permanently installed equipment in your home. So you need to upgrade your RV dish yourself.  And, yes, you need a Slimline SL3 SWM dish. You can find them on Amazon and dealers like Solid Signal. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

In the RV I'm using an H24 receiver with the old standard def round dish.  I know the round dish will not pick up the 99 & 103 satellites however if I replace the LNB in the round dish with a SL3 LNB from Solid Signal (https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=SL3).  Do you think that will work?   I'm just trying to put together something cheap in order to get around the $1500 job for the RV from CW.  The LNB3 from SS is only $55. 

ACE - Expert

• 

19.7K Messages

5 years ago

The SWM LNB will not fit on a round dish and will not work even if it did.

ACE - Expert

• 

19.7K Messages

5 years ago

You need a SWM slimline dish on a sled/tripod mount around $200.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

I think I'll just keep the current setup and wait for the 101 satellite to stop SD transmissions.  No telling when that will be, here it is July and it's still working on SD.

ACE - Sage

• 

45.6K Messages

5 years ago

@Jamesmc wrote:

I think I'll just keep the current setup and wait for the 101 satellite to stop SD transmissions.  No telling when that will be, here it is July and it's still working on SD.

All of that service is scheduled to end by early 2020.  You'll know when yours is gone since it will no longer work. 

@litzdog911 It looks like Im late to the party I just pulled my RV out for spring cleaning and my satellite TV it isnt working. I have the Kingquest Pro VQ4800 and tye HR24-500. What can I do to get my directv working again? I have DirecTV in my home so I would rather not switch to dish. Do I need a new antenna? Or a new DirecTV box? Or can I keep what I have and order an adapter/SWM/ to make it work? No way to change the LNB on one of these

ACE - Expert

• 

19.7K Messages

You need a SWM slimline dish and a 21v power inserter on a sled or tripod mount and learn to aim it yourself or have a Winegard Travler dish installed or King Dome has HD dishes also but they are not cheap.

(edited)

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not a DIRECTV employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

@Jlorne14

The HR24 is fine as it is MPEG-4 (HD capable). But the receiving dish needs replacing. Either a regular slimline dish that you put on a tripod or sled mount, or the Winegard Trav'ler are the options for the RV.

DirecTV only does the MPEG swap for what is installed in the actual home (service address). So updating the RV will be at your own cost.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000, DIRECTV STREAM 1-888-429-4023, or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not a DIRECTV employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Well I have the King Quest round 18” dish and as of 3/21/2021 it’s still picking up all but my local channels and it’s still in SD, my receiver is the H24-200.  

Evidently someone has some mis-information somewhere because my old equipment still works just fine.

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

3 years ago

@rkfrazier66 

DirecTV started the MPEG-2/SD-only shutdown in April 2019. The shutdown has slowed per some internal challenges and of course Covid. But it is on the way out, so eventually that King Quest will not be usable anywhere.

They grandfathered their SD-only service in late 2015. SD-only TVs haven't been made in over a decade. So you must be prepared to replace that dish soon, or just plan to go without. The outdated feeds are on borrowed time.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.