Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

mmcinc12's profile

Contributor

Wednesday, November 20th, 2019 11:45 AM

HR24 for 4K tv

I am about to purchase a Samsung QLED 4K Q70 TV.  Do I have to upgrade my HR24-500 receiver to get 4K programming and/or to utilize all features of the new TV?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

4 years ago

@mmcinc12 wrote:

I am about to purchase a Samsung QLED 4K Q70 TV.  Do I have to upgrade my HR24-500 receiver to get 4K programming and/or to utilize all features of the new TV?

HR24 is the latest regular HDDVR. Though a great model, it was built long before 4K was available. What are the models of your other boxes (or is that your only box)? Just in case there are any difference you need to be aware of, or if it might not be worth it to upgrade to 4K at this time. But here is the general info if you need.

4K Requirements:

HR54 Genie on non 4K tv (Can connect to a 4K tv, but will not provide the 4K feed to it).

C61K Mini Genie Client (wired only at this time) on 4K tv.

Remember Client has no tuner of its own, uses 1 from the Genie.

4K tv must support HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0, and 60fps (frames per second)

Directv Installation, 4K tv must be there

Package Select or above as of 12/15/2016 (used to be only Ultimate or Premier). So only the Family package will not get 4K service at all.

At this time there are only a couple channels in 4K (plus a few PPVs)

Even if you have multiple C61K or RVU clients, only one tv can be using a 4K channel at a time.

ACE - Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

4 years ago

First you have to upgrade your D* System to 4K -- That requires a Hr-54 or HS-17 -- Then you need to add a C61K (the) only D* Hardware that has a 2.0 HDMI Connection to your NEW LG.

Call 1-800-531-5000 to up grade to 4k 

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

4 years ago

is the hr24 the only receiver you have?

going 4k requires a genie and a mini

which will also add fees

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

4 years ago

@mmcinc12 

If the HR24 is your only box, so only 1 TV on the service, do not upgrade to 4K. Genie requires Whole Home DVR ($3) and since 4K only works through the Client connection you are charged as if you have a 2nd TV ($7) which means a total of $10 a month just to get a couple channels.

ACE - Sage

• 

45.6K Messages

4 years ago

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.