Need to get in touch with a Sales Representative? Talk to a Business Expert HERE .
hourback's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2012 9:13 PM

Horrible customer service after death of family member

My mother was on my sister's family plan.  Upon my sister's death, several things happened:

1. Upon receiving notice of my sister's death, AT&T refused to cancel or change service until they received a death certificate.  My mother requested that they change service because she did not need the $300+ unlimited plan my sister had, but only the simplest plan, at around $50.
  2. Upon receipt of my sister's death certificate, AT&T told us that my mother could start her own plan, and that the $300+ past due amount (which was due to my sister's death) would not be held against her, but could be paid by the estate as a separate matter.  They told us that my mother's service would not be interrupted, and that she would have her own service, separate from my deceased sister.
  3. When I called AT&T regarding a letter AT&T sent to my mother, offering to bundle her services, they told me that they were unable to fulfill the offer they made in the letter.  The told me that after she had her own service, she would be eligible for a bundle (including wireless).  They told me that she would have her own account, separate from my deceased sister, after January 2.
  4. Following January 2, my mother's wireless phone stopped working.  She went to the AT&T store, where she was told that her service had been canceled, and that they were even charging her an early termination fee, even though she wanted to continue service.
  5. They told her that my sister's past due amount had to be paid in order for my mother to restore her own service, even though AT&T told her differently on two occasions.
  6. AT&T told her that after she pays my deceased sister's past due amount (which, if paid by the estate, could take months), AT&T would consider giving her an account after performing a credit check.

All of this happened despite our repeated attempts to communicate clearly with AT&T in advance of these deadlines.  AT&T failed to give us consistent and accurate information.  My mother has been an AT&T customer for decades, and told AT&T this, and that she would consider canceling all of her AT&T services (home phone, Internet, wireless).  In response, AT&T told her that they were sorry, but it was their policy.

I am accustomed to being disappointed by large businesses, but this has been particularly disappointing, frustrating, and angering.

-Ali

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

The same thing is happening to me right now. Trying to cancel my fathers account (it was billed today) and they are refusing to refund this months (that hasn't happened yet) service. Awful rude people. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Unfortunately, all of these stories sound very similar to what I am dealing with now with the death of my mother.

My mother and I are longtime customers of AT&T. She lived with my family since the early 1990's and we have had the same phone number through AT&T.

I have been paying the phone bill from my bank account via auto deduct for MANY, MANY years.

Both the representative and the supervisor I spoke to, told me there is no way to transfer the account to me because they need to protect the security of the account. My phone number, in my house, the number I have all of my personal and family business tied to, has to be cancelled to protect the security of the account. Let that sink in. 

I find it very hard to believe there is no way to transfer ownership of this number to me.  When I let them know we were long time customers and that I would cancel entirely and go to another company, they didn't even care. 

After reading the comments above (some from 2014), I cant understand how the customer service and policies can still be this poor.

This leaves a very bad taste in my mouth for anything AT&T related. 

Administrator

• 

26.2K Messages

6 years ago

Hello @patricia_j,

Thank you for your recent posting.  We appreciate your participation within the Business Community.  I would be happy to help.  In order for me to research your issue, I will need to verify some information.  Please send me a private message by clicking here: http://go.att.com/c654627b

And include the following details:                                                                                           

·         Full Name:

·         Business Name on Account:

·         Phone number associated with the account:

·         Preferred Contact #:

·         Email address:

Thank you,

Nancy

AT&T Social Media Manager

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

• I added my dad to my plan & had a cellphone sent over to him as a gift for Father's Day. My father unexpectedly passed away less than a week of having his phone. Due to his sudden death, it hit me pretty hard & I lost my job two weeks after. Since then my account has gone to collections and is about $2,000. I've tried explaining to customer service reps and in-store reps that there's no way for me to pay the balance nor do I want to pay for the services when my dad didn't have it for more than a week. I've submitted his death certificate to my local AT&T store but it still hasn't been resolved. Please advise as this is my last resort. 

Administrator

• 

26.2K Messages

4 years ago

Hello @Shyper,

We're sorry to read about the loss of your father. We are happy to look into this for you. In order to further assist, please send us a private message by clicking here and provide the following information.

Contact Name:

Contact Number:

Email Address:

Account Name:

Account Details:

Business or Residential:

Thank you,

Melissa

Social Media Manager

Not finding what you're looking for?