For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
skeeterintexas's profile
ACE - Expert

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

Tuesday, January 27th, 2015 4:06 PM

Do I need a new wireless box?

The wireless STB in the LR keeps freezing and won't allow the 1 hour pause function.  I'll pause it and within minutes, I get the "jumped to live TV" message.

I've restarted it numerous times and it's still doing the same thing.  The DVR is OK.  The other STB is OK.  It's just this one box.

I pretttttty sure I need a new wireless box but it's such a pain and I'm hoping it'll fix itself.  I'm hopeful but realistic.  Smiley Sad

I guess I'd better move the other box from the bedroom TV to the LR before The Super Bowl, huh?

Shoutout to everyone who can remember their childhood phone number but can't remember the password they created yesterday.  You are my people.  😊

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Guru

• 

921 Messages

9 years ago

Try Disaster Recovery

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

9 years ago

@rdljr wrote:

Try Disaster Recovery

Can you do a DR on a STB?

In the 7+ years I've had UV, I've never had to do a DR and ima skeered.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

skeeter - sounds like it was working prev & the other box is wireless, so it is not the WAP.

But, the WAP could be in a good position for one receiver & not the other.

Can you find a better position for the WAP.

You should test the offending box with a cat5 cable to see if it is wireless problem.

Also, you know the drill on whole house reboot to synch the boxes with the DVR.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

9 years ago

@aviewer wrote:

skeeter - sounds like it was working prev & the other box is wireless, so it is not the WAP.

But, the WAP could be in a good position for one receiver & not the other.

Can you find a better position for the WAP.

You should test the offending box with a cat5 cable to see if it is wireless problem.

Also, you know the drill on whole house reboot to synch the boxes with the DVR.

Can't move the WAP because of the placement of the RG. 

When they replaced the old wired STB with this wireless, they also gave me a wireless extender because Netflix wouldn't stream.  Hmmmm...could that be going out?

Ehhhhh....lemme break down and do a whole house reboot.  😞

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

RE: Can't move the WAP because of the placement of the RG.

The limit on where to move the WAP is - can you run a wire? You can get a longer cat5 cable & place it wherever the cable can reach.

RE: they also gave me a wireless extender - This is a different wi-fi. The internet access wifi is generated by the RG. The wireless STB wi-fi is generated by the WAP.

They are different & should not interfere with each other. Although, the WAP should  not be close to the RG (1 meter?). Must be because of posssible interference.

Guru

• 

921 Messages

9 years ago

@skeeterintexas wrote:

@rdljr wrote:

Try Disaster Recovery

Can you do a DR on a STB?

In the 7+ years I've had UV, I've never had to do a DR and ima skeered.

Yes, same way, no recordings lost.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

9 years ago

Whole house reboot: So far, so good....let's cross our fingers, burn some sage and say a prayer.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

9 years ago

Hey @skeeterintexas 

I'm glad to hear the wireless box is working now but, just in case it fails again, the Disaster Recovery can be done to the wireless receiver and it does not affect your recordings. The only difference is that after you click "Update now" after the reset takes place, downloading the update takes a bit longer than the other receivers due to it's wireless connection as opposed to wired. I have seen this resolve multiple issues with different customers' wireless boxes so just in case it starts to fail again, the DR would be a good thing to try next as well as resetting the WAP device but, of course if all else fails, send us a PM and we'll be glad to set you up with a replacement if necessary. Thanks Skeeter! 🙂

- MorganCS
- ATTU-verseCare

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for the heads up!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.