For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
wylbur's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Saturday, March 22nd, 2014 5:39 PM

Attach a 4G modem to an ethernet switch?

Hi;

I live in a remote rural area to the northwest of Houston (Texas) where AT&T doesn't want to provide broadband service via phone lines.

Apparently, I (and my neighbors) are not worth the bother and the expense.

It frustrates me greatly that most people get better connectivity to their cellphones than I get to my house!

Every time I see one of AT&T's commercials on television I have to fight the urge to shoot the television. Since I cannot afford to buy new televisions on a frequent basis (or even on an occasional basis), I typically grab the remote and either change the channel or mute the sound.

I've been getting broadband via a few WISP's over the past several years, and have been dissatisfied with the service. I've been getting "service" with Skybeam for the past three or four years, and I've had my fill of them.

I might be within range of an AT&T tower for 4G and I am wondering if the throughput with a 4G modem would be superior to the wireless service that I've had.

My last speed test results with Skybeam was:

Download Speed: 691 kbps (86.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 31 kbps (3.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 205 ms

I'm thinking 4G can do better than that.

I'd consider satellite but I've heard too many horror stories about it. Perhaps it's gotten better.(?)

What would I need to attach a 4G modem to my Netgear ethernet router (or to my ethernet switch)?

If there is no way to do that, then what can you recommend in the way of a 4G router with 4 (or 😎 ethernet ports?

Thanks!

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@julywashere wrote:

@wingrider01 wrote:
Have you looked into HughesNet instead?

It's worth noting that satellite internet providers have Data Allowances. Excede, another satellite provider, also includes unmetered access from 12-5am, though. 

So for normal usage figuring left coast time - 6AM to around 10:PM you have unlimited access for web pages and emails, everything else is locked to 5GB cap but according to their Service agreement there is this little caveat

"Accessing web pages and email will generally not count towards the 5 GB monthly data allowance. All other internet usage will count towards the data allowance, including any internet activity embedded in web pages or email, streaming video or audio media, playing online games, uploading or downloading files on a browser through any third-party application, third-party applications, data transferred through a virtual private network (VPN) or other forms of remote access, voice or video chatting, and sending or receiving emails with attachments greater than 25 MBs"

This basicly means that if you view a webpage that has a link to a video or audio stream it counst against the 5GB limit. Best example if Netflix,  Redbox/verizon live stream, Apple TV, Youtube count against the 5GB

Guru

• 

349 Messages

10 years ago

Actually it's 12AM-5AM per your local time Zone, so if it's 12AM CST and it's 10PM PST, while people here in Texas won't be billed for their unmetered data, those in Californa will for another two hours. 

Those terms apply to Excede Evolution plans which feature an allowance of 5GB, the evolution plan isn't available in all areas. It also only applies during non-free hours. Excede Evolution plans don't feature the same hours. Instead of 12AM to 5AM Late Night Free Hours, they have Early Bird Free Hours from 3AM to 8AM. 

For Excede12 areas (which covers Texas), current plans are Classic 10, 15, and 25 plans feature 10GB, 15GB, and 25GB respectively. These are bound the the Late Night Free Hours, which are 12AM to 5AM. 

During Free Hours, regardless of whether they are Late Night free hours or Early Bird free hours, the user receives unmetered, unrestriced access, even if they have consumed the monthly allotment of data. Once the free hours are up, the usage counts towards data allowance. If the allowance has been used up, the speeds are reduced, or service is restricted until the following free hours. 

So during the free hours, you can stream video and not have it count towards your allotment, and if you've consumed your data allowance, during the free hours, you will be able to catch up with your YouTube subscriptions.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.