For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
miltonwheeler's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, January 6th, 2011 11:47 PM

Received phishing email from "At&t Online Service"

Received an email today from "At&t Online Service".  Since the "t&t" were not in capital letters like I usually see it, I was doubting that this came from AT&T.  The email was requesting that I send them my login name and password so they could verify my email address.  It said they were "updating their data base" and if I didn't do this immediately, my email address would be rendered inactive from their data base.  I called AT&T and was refered to this Forum and told to post my concern here.  It seems that AT&T does not have a department to handle this kind of issue.  Timothy, to whom I spoke, had not received a call regarding a "phishing" email.  So beware---

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

11 years ago

I would say it is a phishing scheme...

The link they want you to click takes you to some server in the circuitware.net domain, not into AT&T or Yahoo...  Unless you want to give circuitware.net your account information (and possibly face a serious anti-virus/anti-malware test), you probably don't want to click that link...

It could be interesting to see the full email headers of the email you received too.  Chances are it didn't originate from a server on the Yahoo or AT&T networks either.

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

11 years ago

@rad718 wrote:

Lately, I have been receiving a lot of phishing e-mails- mostly from "Yahoo" - here is the latest:

I also received one from "At&t"

Any advice?????????

...if you did not send this request click the link below, if you did you dont have to do anything.

We have received your request to close your yahoo email and accounts.

De-activation will be done within 72 hrs. All files and email history will be deleted from our servers within 90 days .

If you did not send this request you can cancel the process by using the link above or below and follow the steps.

The link can also be used to confirm usage of your other accounts associated with Yahoo!

This confirmation assures you quality and uninterrupted service for an unlimited period of time.

The termination agreement you signed has also been attached to this email

Thanks for your cooperation.

Mail Administrative Dept Yahoo.com

NO vendor or supplier will ask you to just spontaneously "confirm your {userid, password, credit card / billing info") They also will not just call you up on the phone for that info. It's possible as a response for some action you've requested, but NEVER just out of the blue ... no matter how convincing, just don't do it.

IF there's any question at all, call support and get them to confirm.

Sometimes when you sign up for a new service or forum, they will send you a "please confirm" email with a link back to their system ... since you asked for the access permissions, this would be a predictable, expected email (which some malware filters will block).

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Just got this email saying that my password i just changed will be updated in all databases..I didn't change my password but i sure will now.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

funny thing was i hadn't changed my password...

Important note: The password you just changed will be updated for all other accounts managed by your AT&T Access ID (AT&T Email, etc.).

Your privacy is important to us. If you feel you have received this message in error, please contact us at 877.273.2728.

Thank you for choosing us,

AT&T

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

It happened to me as well and unfortunately I fell for because I was in a hurry to do something else and didn’t pay attention to the fact it was a PO Box on the return address and the number wasn’t a normal Directv/AT&T phone number in fact of course it wasn’t Directv/AT&T at all of course, and I just found out from the FBI that its a Nigerian phishing scam 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I received the following from AT&T online services.  I don't have AT&t as my carrier.   I know this is a scam and deleted the email without opening.

( You added the following scheduled payment(s):

Service Type: Wireless
AT&T Account: 2121
Payment Method: BankDraft
Account Number: xxx268
Confirmation: WAT6T1S1JR46UGOQQ
Payment Date: 12/17/2018
Amount: $879.78

http://clicks.att.com/OCT/eTrac?EMAIL_ID=3407624&finalURL

Thanks for choosing us,
AT&T

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

@ATandscam

All you need to do is mouse over a link (don't click it) to see what it's really pointing at (it should be displayed on your browser somewhere - url bar, status bar, etc.).  In your case that link is to site.uic.edu.ph.  Now does this look like an official att location to you?  More like some school website (.edu is a dead giveaway) and uic.edu is most likely University of Illinois at Chicago (based on a google search).  Some kid having a good time and seeing how much money s/he can make with this.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.