Posted Aug 9, 2011
3:50:49 PM
View profile
Longhorn Network - Just say 'No'

I greatly appreciate the value provided by AT&T in bundling tv/wireless/internet services.  Similarly, the bundling of channels allows customers to access a variety of programming at substantial savings.

However, occasionally, programming comes along that is so expensive and directed at such a narrow, niche market that it deserves to be left off of the programming options or ordered solely as an 'a la carte' option.  If the reports about the price tag  to cable providers  to offer the 'longhorn network' (by ESPN) are accurate, the only way it could be added to current bundled programming packages is at substantial cost to MANY people who have no interest in the programming. 

Please AT&T, keep prices low, by either not offering or charging ONLY those who desire this programming option.

Thanks!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Aug 31, 2012 8:36:05 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Here is the press release:

DALLAS – Just in time for Texas football season, ESPN and AT&T U-verse® TV, the fastest growing television provider in the country*, have announced that Longhorn Network will be available to U-verse TV customers in Texas and across the AT&T U-verse footprint. Longhorn Network is the 24/7 channel devoted to University of Texas athletics and academics as well as cultural programming from in and around the greater Austin community.

AT&T U-verse TV customers will have the Longhorn Network in time for kick off against Wyoming on Saturday, Sept. 1, at 7 p.m. central time live from Darrell K. Royal Memorial Stadium. Longhorn Network will be available for U-verse TV customers in Texas with the U200 package and aboveOutside of Texas, fans subscribing to the U-verse TV U450 package will have access to Longhorn Network’s exclusive programming. Longhorn Network will be available on channel 1609 in HD and channel 609 in SD.

“We know fans are passionate about watching Longhorn football, and we’re thrilled to offer Longhorn Network to U-verse TV customers in Texas and nationwide,” said Jeff Weber, President of Content and Advertising Services, AT&T Home Solutions. “This is another example of how we continue to deliver the content customers want.”

Added David Preschlack, executive vice president, Disney and ESPN Media Networks, “This agreement brings Longhorn Network and its robust lineup of University of Texas programming to more than a million Longhorn fans in Texas and throughout the country.”

Financial terms and other details of the agreement were not disclosed.

Other exclusive Longhorn Network programming includes the New Mexico vs. Texas football game the following Saturday, Sept. 8, at 7 p.m. as well as original programming like Longhorn Extra, Game Plan with Mack Brown, Texas All-Access, Texas GameDay and Texas GameDay Final.

As part of the agreement, at a future date, AT&T will also launch a live, linear feed of Longhorn Network online to subscribers via computers, smartphones and tablets.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2012/08/att-u-verse-longhorn-network/

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
379 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(379)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2012 2:54:25 PM
(0)
Expert

ATT is HQ'd in TX, though not Austin, but maybe a lot of UT grads/fans?

Re: Longhorn network

361 of 380 (2,194 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2012 3:29:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

AchtungCloud wrote:

I'm pretty annoyed that Uverse decided to pick up this albatross of a network that destroyed the Big 12 and the best rivalry in college sports. I guess they figured people really wanted to watch a .500 team with no QB and follow it up with women's college volleyball and softball the rest of the year.

If the addition of The Longhorn Network does not cost you anything additional to subscribe to U-Verse, then why would it matter? As a Mizzou (University of Missouri) fan, my main interest now is the SEC.

I guess The University of Missouri is partially responsible for destroying the Big !2, too, since it left that conference along with Texas A&M. 

My feeling is that the more channels U-Verse has, especiallly in HD, the better.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

362 of 380 (2,177 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2012 3:30:56 PM
(0)
Master

spd2demun wrote:

U-verse quiz. The latest UV equipment is released/available in which of the following cities?

A) Dallas

B) Austin

C) San Antone

D) Houston

E) All of the above except Houston

(answer - E)  :smileyvery-happy:

PS. Would agree there's a whole lot of UT fans and/or alumni near/in the Dallas headquarters hence LHN. :smileywink:

363 of 380 (2,177 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2012 3:34:11 PM
(0)
Expert

That made me laugh because it's true!  :smileyvery-happy:

And who knows, it may bomb with not enough subscribers?

Uniblurb3 wrote:

spd2demun wrote:

U-verse quiz. The latest UV equipment is released/available in which of the following cities?

A) Dallas

B) Austin

C) San Antone

D) Houston

PS. Would agree there's a whole lot of UT fans and/or alumni near/in the Dallas headquarters hence LHN. :smileywink:

364 of 380 (2,170 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2012 3:54:45 PM
(0)
Master

Is it that obvious the quiz was aimed at you/Houston?? :smileyvery-happy:

I'd have to agree with dwinth, the more UV channels the better, especially in HD. Just so long as other user's rates, and my U450 rates, don't go up even more come Feb, 2013. :smileywink:

spd2demun wrote:

That made me laugh because it's true!  :smileyvery-happy:

And who knows, it may bomb with not enough subscribers?

Uniblurb3 wrote:

spd2demun wrote:

A) Dallas

B) Austin

C) San Antone

D) Houston

365 of 380 (2,157 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2012 3:55:25 PM
(0)
Mentor

Why would someone living outside of Texas want to watch LHN? It's like giving Florida Sports Network to people living ouside of the southeast US. There is no interest unless you went to one of the Florida colleges.

366 of 380 (2,151 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2012 3:56:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

E!   E!  E!

367 of 380 (2,146 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2012 3:59:30 PM
(0)
Expert

People who went to UT or are fans don't ALL live in TX. 

Texans love their State, but sometimes they have to move for a number of reasons.

John in Florida wrote:

Why would someone living outside of Texas want to watch LHN? It's like giving Florida Sports Network to people living ouside of the southeast US. There is no interest unless you went to one of the Florida colleges.

368 of 380 (2,133 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2012 4:07:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

John in Florida wrote:

The University of Texas has a huge alumni base all over the country.  Actually, all over the world.  The focus is mainly in Texas which is why the channel is available on the U200 and above package inside of Texas and on the U450 package outside of Texas.

By the way, not every channel in the U-verse lineup is of interest to everyone.  Those channels that people have no interest in viewing, they simply don't tune to those channels.  U-verse has channels pretty much that will suit everyone's interest.

369 of 380 (2,127 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2012 5:33:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by skeeterintexas on Sep 2, 2012 at 5:34:03 PM

John in Florida wrote:

It's a UT thing.

Besides the current student enrollment of 50,000 students and 16,000 faculty & admin., there's the alumni association (Texas Exes) with 93,000 members and 64,000 being Life Members and continually growing.

Once a Longhorn, always a Longhorn.  These people bleed burnt orange!

[ Edited ]
370 of 380 (2,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2012 7:21:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Uniblurb3 wrote:

Ish Kabibble wrote:

Uniblurb3 wrote:

Yeah, I have the LHN on 1609 in the Central Ohio market with U450. I'll probably cutting my service back to U300! :smileyvery-happy:

I turned it on yesterday to check it out. I'll probably never watch it again.

Same here. Don't know if there's any other college teams which have their own separate network? Believe it's mainly leagues like the BTN (1650) channel here. Heck, the high schools here can barely get by financially, with lots of cutbacks, let alone building a $60M HS stadium in Allen, a suburb of Dallas. This story has been all over the national news and a 800 member HS band to boot! But the voters wanted it, willing to pay for the bond issue, so it's not being supported through an education/school levy.

Oh well, I remember visiting my mom years ago where she retired in NC and they would pull prime-time OTA programming to show local HS basketball!

Sorry for going a little off-topic.

You should see that stadium, it's pretty impressive.  I've been by it a few times.  While I don't live in Allen where the stadium is, I do wish those who don't live in Allen and did not VOTE to raise the money for the staduim as well as a new performing arts center and upgrades to the cafeteria would leave them alone.  Allen HS is one of the best schools in the state and their programs have won many awards and accolades.   The band has performed in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, The Rose Bowl Parade, Dublin Ireland and Honolulu Hawaii's  Patrick's Day Parades. The band has also been recognized by the John Phillip Sousa Foundation.

The school also has one of the best music programs in the state, one of the best broadcast stations in the country, an orchestra, photography, German Folk dancing, and they just built a brand new lab for the clinical rotation program.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

371 of 380 (2,065 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2012 8:44:04 PM
(0)
Scholar

The most interesting part of this is the addition of a sports channel that *requires* U450. Before this, U300 and the sport package and HD Premium got you all of the sports that you got with U450. This would appear to represent a departure from that philosophy.

372 of 380 (2,049 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 3, 2012 5:02:39 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

marcindublin wrote:

The most interesting part of this is the addition of a sports channel that *requires* U450. Before this, U300 and the sport package and HD Premium got you all of the sports that you got with U450. This would appear to represent a departure from that philosophy.

Only if you live outside of Texas. Those of us in Texas only require U200.  Me personally not a fan of that school so I could care less about the network. Glad some people now have access to it though as any new channel is a good thing.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

373 of 380 (1,985 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2012 12:07:42 PM
(0)
Contributor

This is NOT A SOLUTION. the requestor said do not make it a package and that is exactly what you did.

I actually am a different persona. I would like to watch the Longhorn but agree their business model should not be supported. It should be a pay per view or a pay per channel business model.

And for me its also cost prohibiting. Since I do not live in TX or OK (where its included in U100), I would have to upgrade to U450 with a bunch of channel I do not want just to get the one channel I do want.

Here's praying for the day when technology makes it possible to do complete a la carte ordering. I just want the 15 channels I want to watch and NOTHING else...

Re: Longhorn Network - Just say 'No'

374 of 380 (1,565 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2012 12:56:13 PM
(0)
Guru

At least att put the longhorn network on the 450 tier out side of texas. Those it matter of principle for every tv provider not to carry this network in the long run.

375 of 380 (1,546 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2012 3:53:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

cpagel_longhorn wrote:

This is NOT A SOLUTION. the requestor said do not make it a package and that is exactly what you did.

I actually am a different persona. I would like to watch the Longhorn but agree their business model should not be supported. It should be a pay per view or a pay per channel business model.

1. And for me its also cost prohibiting. Since I do not live in TX or OK (where its included in U100), I would have to upgrade to U450 with a bunch of channel I do not want just to get the one channel I do want.

2. Here's praying for the day when technology makes it possible to do complete a la carte ordering. I just want the 15 channels I want to watch and NOTHING else...

Answer 1.  It's available in Texas for those that have U200 or above, anyone outside of Texas it's available in the U450.

Answer 2.  Technology has nothing to do with ala carte, it's the networks.  It would cost you more for those 15 channels than you probably pay now for your package. Ala carte pricing has been discussed at length in these forums.

As for the business model, each provider must negotiate the best possible deal in order to get certain channels and for some it's more difficult than others.  AT&T is one of a very few providers that actually carry the channel and it's been out for over a year now.

376 of 380 (1,494 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2012 4:23:01 PM
(0)
Contributor

I will not continue my service with ATT U-verse when I have to subsidize the athletic department at Texas.  If someone wants that service and is willing to pay for it, then they should be able to add it separately.  But someone that does not want the service should not be forced by ATT to pay for it.

I am not willing to continue my U-verse service even if ATT reduces my monthly bill by the 40 cents per month they have to pay to Teesipper Network.

If this service is not removed by the end of November, then I have no choice but to find a replacement for U-verse.

377 of 380 (1,288 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2012 4:41:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Not a Teesipper wrote:

I will not continue my service with ATT U-verse when I have to subsidize the athletic department at Texas.  If someone wants that service and is willing to pay for it, then they should be able to add it separately.  But someone that does not want the service should not be forced by ATT to pay for it.

I am not willing to continue my U-verse service even if ATT reduces my monthly bill by the 40 cents per month they have to pay to Teesipper Network.

If this service is not removed by the end of November, then I have no choice but to find a replacement for U-verse.

Lemme guess...you're an Aggie.

378 of 380 (1,277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2012 5:27:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Not a Teesipper wrote:

You're kidding right?  :smileyvery-happy::smileysurprised::smileyvery-happy:

I'm a SOONER fan and here's a suggestion, don't watch it.  It's only on U450 outside of Texas and U200 in Texas.  ANY new network is always a good thing.

379 of 380 (1,257 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2012 7:02:45 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Not a Teesipper wrote:

Why don't we have a bake sale, and sell cookies for 40 cents each. We can collect the money, and send it to Not a Teesipper to cover his expense for the Longhorn Network. If we sell 12 cookies, Not a Teesipper is covered for the next year.

Not a Teesipper, I hope you are not a one and done one post wonder, and reply to my suggestion.

380 of 380 (1,237 Views)