Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Protect yourself online
CarolDavis6's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Thursday, January 22nd, 2015 2:35 PM

Can I keep my Att.net email address if I cancel Frontier

In CT our service was transferred from AT&T to Frontier in December.  Frontier has been horrible to work with and I would like to jump ship over to Comcast (the only other option) for both telephone and internet. 

I have been an AT&T customer for over 10 years and have used that email extension.  Will I lose my att.net email?  Is there a grace period after I cancel with Frontier? 

Thanks in advance!

~ Carol

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

9 years ago

As far as I know you can keep the AT&T.net because it is served by Yahoo.

I strongly suggest adding a gmail account and switching your contacts over. My yahoo account was hacked twice last year and they are under attack again.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

9 years ago

@CarolDavis6 

As mentioned by lizdance40, you can keep it.

However, it should be noted that you won't get any support at all on your email in most cases. Meaning, you're going to be stuck in a ditch if you ever have any issues.

About your Frontier issues, what type of issues have you been having? If they're service related, have you tried getting a technician out? If they're for billing, have you had a chance to talk with them? I typically had a good experience with live chat with them. Can't say about the call centers since I haven't tried calling. I haven't had many complaints since the transition.

I personally have had terrible experiences with Comcast. Not so much their service, but their billing and customer service team was rubbish. They lie many many times to get a sale and to keep a customer. They lied to my family member to get them on another contract and to keep them from cancelling. I also was lied to many many times when I was promised one thing and the opposite occured.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

9 years ago

I'm in Ct also. Frontier has wonderful customer service. But terrible internet bandwidth.
I kept TV service and have been happy with it. It took a couple of months to get all the features running (on demand was a joke for a while)
I have switched my internet to Cox.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for the responses.  My problems with Frontier are in Billing and Customer Service.  With AT&T I had the bill automatically paid by my credit card and paperless billing.  Despite many phone calls, Frontier let my bills build for 4 months before I was finally able to get someone to enter payment while I was on the phone (they always said they corrected the problem and my credit card would be hit the next billing cycle...and then it wasn't).  I would get a paper bill saying that my credit card would be billed on XX date, then a few days later I would get a terminatation notice!  To make matters worse, our phone service was initially in my husbands name, so they really didn't want to talk to me at all! 

Now I've found I can get Comcast 105MB/10MB service for $60/mo for 12 mos. then $85/mo (including phone w/long distance) whereas I'm paying Frontier $91/mo for 18mb/1.5MB service.  We don't have pay TV and do a lot of streaming so I think it's obvious Comcast is the better choice.  I know their customer service is lacking as well, but just in a basic "dollars & sense" perspective Comcast makes more sense.

Glad I can keep my att.net email for a while. I've setup gmail and have been moving everything over, but since I do lots of paperless billing I was nervous to make the switch.

(P.S. This morning I had to call Frontier because yet again, I received an email that my automatically payment had been cancelled....the CSR was very friendly and assured me that this is a delayed email not reflective of the update I gave them over 3 weeks ago...hmmmmm, yes she was nice, but I still have a feeling my bill pay will not go through in March!)

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

9 years ago

@CarolDavis6
So is this the loophole to avoid an early termination fee from Frontier?

It would be cheaper for me to switch TV service over to Cox. Although I would break even with the ETFS in about 6 months.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

9 years ago

@CarolDavis6 

Have you tried setting up a Frontier ID online and paying your bill that way or by taking the route of the automatic payment system. By automatic payment system I'm talking about the number you call to just pay your bill without any reps? It's all automated. I can't remember the number off hand, but I believe they can give you it if you ask. I received it through their live chat.

I assume your $91 price includes phone? If so, Frontier is running a promotion for 18 Mbps + Voice 200 for 54.99. If you include Max Turbo(24 Mbps), it's $59.99 or $64.99 with Power(45 Mbps). These prices are good for 3 years and don't require a contract.

One thing to note about Comcast is that you're doing a lot of streaming. Comcast has been trialing many data usage caps recently. With the pending merger, data caps may be enabled throughout the country. Frontier currently does not have any data caps as Comcast does.

Depending on how many people are streaming at once, higher speeds probably shouldn't make much of a difference. I would consider myself a heavy user, but I dropped down to Max Plus from Max Turbo since I really didn't need it. It made very little difference in my everyday uses.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

@lizdance40What loophole?  What Early Termination Fees?  I was switched over from AT&T automatically.

@DarknessriseThat is some interesting food for thought re: Comcast trialing Data caps and the more competitive rate.  Hopefully that rate is available in CT, of course my husband has to call and make me an "authorized user" before I can make any changes to the account.

Re: billing, yes, I have a Frontier online account,  but since they offer autopay - I should be able to use it just like I did with AT&T.   I feel that I have "quality degraded" if I have to go in and pay every month (or call a phone # to pay every month).  I like my primary credit card bill to arrive, showing my telephone, internet , electric, health club and auto insurance all paid.

Thanks for your help .

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

9 years ago

It is not just switching contacts, that is easy. If you have a sales business for 25 years and all your clients and former clients can only find you by your att.net email address, you need to keep it.

I have been calling att to get a difinitive answer on whether the email address can be kept if cancelling the dial up charge but not a single person who answers the phone knows anything about it and they try to transfer you to someone else who never ever picks up.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.