Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Troubleshoot your device issues
ATTDmitriyCM's profile
Former Community Manager

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

Wednesday, November 20th, 2013 8:07 PM

Closed

[Closed] Nokia Lumia unlocking questions and discussion (All models)

Please use this thread for any questions or discussions related to Nokia Lumia devices unlock requests (all models).

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have an answer that worked for you? Help other users by marking helpful posts as an "Accepted Answer". And don't forget to leave a Like!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Hi All,

I have been AT&T customer for 6+ years now and I did a recent upgrade to Nokia Lumia 925 and I travel interational a lot on business and I use th international sim card. While applying for hone upgrade I had informed the sales rep that I need unlock code on which she said she got an approval for that (This was recorded line so it should be with AT&T). Now I got my phone and I tried every source @ AT&T and all have turned me down to provide the unlock code, I am not sure why AT&T is doing such false promises to sell the device to us who have been loyal to AT&T for 6+ years. I am not closing my AT&T service but instead just requesting for unlock code as I have to travel international and have to use other Sim cards. Now I am stuck as I cant even return this new phone and cant even use it international. Also I pay approx $58 every month for last 6+ years to AT&T and this is what a loyal customer gets? False promise and no way now to return the phone since its more than 15 days that I got the phone. Someone has to help me here. Look at the account and have some exceptions not all people are fraud and false. Genuine cstomers like me are getting penalized. Please Help.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

To whom it may concern,
Recently I acquired a Lumia 920 off of Ebay at full price. I am not a customer of AT&T, so I would like to be able to unlock this device. The webpage att.com/deviceunlock does not offer a way to unlock a device if you arent a customer, even if you bought the phone at full price (whether in store on online). Does anyone know a way to get the unlock code?

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

10 years ago

@ashadipenguin wrote:

To whom it may concern,
Recently I acquired a Lumia 920 off of Ebay at full price. I am not a customer of AT&T, so I would like to be able to unlock this device. The webpage att.com/deviceunlock does not offer a way to unlock a device if you arent a customer, even if you bought the phone at full price (whether in store on online). Does anyone know a way to get the unlock code?

You should contact the eBay seller, and either return the phone if they sold it as unlocked or unlockable (because it isn't) or have them unlock it (becuase if it's not stolen, they should be able to unlock it.)

Voyager

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Please help me
I bought a Nokia Lumia 520 (without a contract) from Amazon, I am a resident outside the United States, and I have a (at&t) card but is not active, I hope to help me to give me the security code to unlock the device ... Thank you
IMEI Number : {Personal content removed for your safety}

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Hello.

I have just received in France 2 Nokia Lumia 520 coming from Amazon US. These Two phones are locked on AT&T Carrier and I wanted to offer them to my parents but they do not work in France without unlock code.

on internet it seems impossible to find unlock codes for this telephone on AT&T carrier ?

I activated today those 2 "Gophone"  on telephone but thy are not recognised by any carrier in France even after the activation.

Can anybody tell me where I could try obtaining unlock code for these to mobiles ?  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I'm from Saudi Arabia

I bought two of nokia lumia 520 att gophone from amazon two weeks ago

and they shipped phones to Saudi Arabia 

i can't use att network in Saudi Arabia so please give me the unlock codes

imei:***

imei:***

amazon order number: ***

amazon invoice: ***

thanks 

[edited for privacy - please do not post personal information]

Tutor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

John,

I believe that you are laboring under a false premise. You have repeatedly stated that ebay sellers should unlock the phone and if they cannot, the phone is of dubious origin. That assumes that the phones were purchased from an individual. There are a large number of stores on ebay that sell used cell phones. They, in turn, purchase the phones from individuals. Doubtless a few of their phones are indeed stolen, but the vast majority of their phones are not stolen, as evidenced by the fact that when they sell the phones the esns are clean and their is a very low incidence of problems after purchasing. These phones are often locked to att because the seller did not know / did not care to unlock the phone. Many people, myself included, by phones that are not of dubious origins from these reputable resellers. For us, there is no way to unlock the phones unless we are /were att customers.

Att is free to say that they don't care about people in this common situation. However, it is wrong to justify the att's stance by saying that the seller should unlock and if not the phone's bona fides are questionable. NO, the seller cannot always unlock and the phone is of high moral character.

I think we all have to call a spade a spade here. Att does not care to unlock phones for people that are not att customers. Simple. The fact that this has killed the resale value of used att phones is not of immediate concern to att (e.g. the average price of lumia 920's on ebay dropped over $75-$100 overnight when att implemented the new draconian policy).

That said, it is questionable if att thoroughly conducted a cost / benefit that included the opportunity cost of adopting the new policy. There is definitely a loss of goodwill from customers who's resale value dropped and, more removed but a loss nonetheless as carriers struggle to compete with each other, from t-mobile customers trying to unlock phones and

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Well said directly above.

USA has the most ridiculous roaming rates perhaps due to lack of agreements with carriers abroad or whatever. I mean, on Verizon alone, I know it was like $25 for 100mb of data. I just googled ATT rates and they are $20/MB for pay per use??? and $30 for 120mb for 1 month.

These rates are just astronomical but you have a customer who is about to sign a new contract within 6 months and ATT refuses to provide an unlock code for a phone so that a user can put in a prepaid sim card?

As a wireless carrier, aren't subscribers a huge deal and each of the firms that lose market share continuously try to change up certain things to attain subscribers again?  

ATT clearly thinks that because it had the original iPhone buyers that they don't need to care about their subscribers anymore. I cannot fathom the poor customer service ATT has provided here.

AND the poor customer service is: "let me regurgitate the company policy" regardless of your situation - eg. purchasing a second hand phone off ebay to use in a foreign country or refusal to unlock because they want guys to pay absurd roaming charges.

Amazing.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I am a resident outside the US.
I bought 2xNokia Lumia 520 gophone from amazon.com for kids.
They wrote to Santa about nokia lumia.
Worst Christams presents - nokia 520 locked
Thank you at&t

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

10 years ago

So just to make sure I understand this: I have been an AT&T customer since 2005. I bought my 12-year-old a Lumia 520 for Christmas to replace his crappy feature phone. Before I can unlock it for our upcoming international trip, it has to be active as a GoPhone for *six months*? 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.