For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
javid618's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, July 27th, 2012 6:52 AM

Will I use data when on wifi?

I need help, I am confused.  Att says that you use the smartphone at a wifi location you wont be charged data usage, here are my questions

1. can it be any wifi or does it have to be ATT provided wifi, I have charter wifi 

2. Are they saying i can use my phone for posting facebook status, watching youtube, surfing the web, and it not use any of my data plan IF connect to wifi?

3.  Do smartphones find wifi (let says you are traveling)

One thing i want to use it for is like mapquest, If i am lost i want to be able to look up directions (lets say I am in a wifi area) will this work.  ALSO, if I am NOT in a wifi area i can still look up directions but it will us data usage right?

Please break this down for me, you wont offend me if you "spell" it all out for me

ALSO, what is the difference really between other smartphones and iphone... Just wondering, i am looking to purchase one.  I am disabled and thought this would be a good thing to have.  thanks

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@casalopez wrote:

We've been going over our data usage lately and I just noticed overnight charges while I'm sleeping with the wifi enabled!  What?

That's just when the billing is coming in, not necessarily what you used while you were asleep. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Using a Galaxy S5 on my 2nd month of gophone.  First month I went over in 2 weeks, chalked it up to streaming videos over cell data.  Was careful 2nd month (current) to only watch video on wifi (which I am connected to probably 75% of time.  Halfway through this month my phone says 2.1GB used but I get message from ATT that I am over my 4GB limit.

ATT support tells me even if connected to wifi I am still using cell data unless I turn it off in my phone, which requires navigating through several menus.  What a giant P I T A and bull****

Never had this problem when I was with Boost (sprint)

Its a scam to sell more data IMO. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.4K Messages

7 years ago

@freesoul wrote:

Using a Galaxy S5 on my 2nd month of gophone.  First month I went over in 2 weeks, chalked it up to streaming videos over cell data.  Was careful 2nd month (current) to only watch video on wifi (which I am connected to probably 75% of time.  Halfway through this month my phone says 2.1GB used but I get message from ATT that I am over my 4GB limit.

ATT support tells me even if connected to wifi I am still using cell data unless I turn it off in my phone, which requires navigating through several menus.  What a giant P I T A and bull****

Wrong.  Either you misunderstood, or "support" didn't explain correctly (or may be clueless).   While your phone will use tiny amounts of data while on wifi, it would be a byte or so, not enough to measure.

Data reporting is delayed, so ATT would show LESS than your phone - not more.  Delayed reporting is not to be confused with current use.

Never had this problem when I was with Boost (sprint)

Its a scam to sell more data IMO. 

Your phone and ATT should be very close.  Power cycle your phone.  Check online to see if the data is really that high.  Then take the conflicting information to ATT and ask for an explanation.  

ATT should be slightly behind your phones totals, not nearly double. The only thing that would account for this is if you changed phones mid billing.   

Video can use about 1 gig an hour depending on source and quality.  So if you watch video regularly, you will use a lot more data.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Hey Confused 🙂
Others way smarter than me will and probably have helped you, but I I'd like to ask you... why do you use mapquest? You must have Siri. Tell Siri you want directions to the address and 99.9% of the time, he'll take you straight to the location. With Siri, you don't have to look away from the road... and sometimes he'll flirt with you. (I have mine set to a male voice. You can use a female voice if you prefer.) I love Siri!

Kaye

ACE - Sage

• 

117.4K Messages

7 years ago

@kbeingk

If the OP is using Mapquest, he/she is probably not using Apple maps or an iPhone.  

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

I was just told the same. I was told that if my mobile data is faster than the wifi, it will use mobile data and the only way to stop it is to turn off mobile data which is super annoying. I'm looking into switching to another provider. Somehow during last upgrades our data usage has doubled and I've been diligent about killing unnecessary background processes.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@kbeingk wrote:
(I have mine set to a male voice. You can use a female voice if you prefer.) I love Siri!

I like the Australian Female voice!  😉

The British is pretty nice too...

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Jimmy123.@. wrote:

I was just told the same. I was told that if my mobile data is faster than the wifi, it will use mobile data and the only way to stop it is to turn off mobile data which is super annoying. I'm looking into switching to another provider. Somehow during last upgrades our data usage has doubled and I've been diligent about killing unnecessary background processes.

This is a PHONE / WiFi issue, not an AT&T issue. It will work the same way with your new carrier.

It's NOT if cellular is FASTER, it's pretty much if your WiFi is AWFUL.

(Depending on your WiFI, your cellular could ALWAYS be faster).

Don't just listen to someone else, check your phone. Is your WiFi Assist actually using large amounts of data? You can see exactly which apps use how much.

I have people bring this up all the time, yet most times their phone hasn't been using any WiFI Assist or an insignificant amount of WiFi Assist data. The best part when looking at a friend's iPhone, (which doesn't reset automatically) your can sometimes see YEARS worth of data and it's still insignificant...

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

In your iPhone, go to Settings, Cellular and scroll all the way to the bottom. There turn off Wifi Assist. That way when wifi is enabled, even when slow, cellular will not assist or take over.

Martin

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

In your iPhone, go to Settings, Cellular and scroll all the way to the bottom. There turn off Wifi Assist. That way when wifi is enabled, even when slow, cellular will not assist or take over.

Martin
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.