Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help with your equipment?
dvmdoug's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, February 3rd, 2015 4:47 AM

Latency problem with a MacBook

I have a problem with websites loading slowly on my new MacBook over my home Wifi. It doesn't happen with every website, but especially new ones I haven't been to before. Often the status bar goes about 1/3 of the way up and hangs there for 1-2 minutes before loading or giving me an error that the server that controls the webpage isn't responding.

I have had some other issues with a few skips in my AT&T TV service and my kindles attached to wifi saying they can't play videos because of a network error, so I haven't figured out if it's a problem with my Wifi, but the other device problems are more intermittent. 

When I run the AT&T speed test on my MacBook I get a latency error and the rest of the test doesn't run. When I run the test on my MAcBook at speedtest.net I get download speeds of 12Mbps and upload speeds of 1.5Mbps. When I use my Dell laptop connected to the same wifi, I don't get a latency error with the AT&T speed test and get UL speeds of 15.3Mbps and DL speeds of 1.92. I called AT&T and got a new gateway which didn't solve the problem. They say everything looks good on their end. The Dell runs slowly in general but the web pages are loading reasonable fast on it. 

What can I do about this latency? Is that the reason for my slow wbepage load-up? Thanks for any advice you can give me. It's very frustrating. 

Doug

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

9 years ago

You could try using a public DNS server.  On your Mac, go to System Preferences -> Network -> Advanced -> DNS and enter a public DNS such as 8.8.8.8 (google).  Click OK, then click Apply.

Guru

• 

921 Messages

9 years ago

Turn ipv6 off in the rg

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for both of your replies. Neither one solved the problem with the latency error on the AT&T speed test but it seems like turning off the ipv6 is helping web pages load faster. Now about 90% of the pages seem to load quickly whereas it was about 50-60% before. Thanks for the help and if there are any more suggestions I'd love to hear them. I'm pretty much a novice at this stuff. 

Guru

• 

921 Messages

9 years ago

Try the reset safari on the MacBook

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@dvmdoug wrote:

Thanks for both of your replies. Neither one solved the problem with the latency error on the AT&T speed test but it seems like turning off the ipv6 is helping web pages load faster. Now about 90% of the pages seem to load quickly whereas it was about 50-60% before. Thanks for the help and if there are any more suggestions I'd love to hear them. I'm pretty much a novice at this stuff. 

Since the Macbook is wifi, here's some help:

See SomeJoe's great wireless interference thread:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/How-to-Minimize-Wireless-Interference/m-p/2303003#M1138

Also see the SJ post:

Please Read for a Potential Solution

For many people, the DHCP problems with the 2Wire/Pace/Motorola routers can be solved by configuring the RG as follows:

1. Go to http://192.168.1.254/ and find the RG's wireless configuration page.

2. Change the setting "Wi-Fi Protected Setup" to Disabled.

3. Change the setting "Authentication Type" to WPA2-PSK (AES).

4. Click the "Save" button at the bottom.

5. This procedure may ask for your RG's password. The default password for your RG is printed on a sticker on the side of the RG (3600HGV, 3800HGV-B, 3801HGV and NVG589/510) or on a white sticker on the backup battery (i3812V).

Disabling WPS should help with the DHCP timeout issue and general wireless connection problems.

Setting authentication specifically to WPA2-PSK/AES improves connection reliability on Macs and other Apple products.

Good luck 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.