Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help with your equipment?
jtessenburgh's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, July 30th, 2015 2:03 PM

Internet Performance Issue with Netflix

We have the 'Power' plan and get 50 mbps.  But lately, when we try to watch a Netflix movie on our smartTV, the internet service goes below 1 mbps.  The movie streams fine but nothing else can connect.  To get our performance back, not only do we have to stop the movie but also restart the uverse box connected to that TV to free up the bandwidth.  Anyone experience this and have a solution?

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

9 years ago

How does your SmartTV connect to your U-verse network?

How do you know that your "internet service goes below 1 mbps"?

Have you tried streaming Netflix from a PC?  How does that perform? 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

It connects over Uverse wifi AP.  I use the AT&T speed test after all our other devices can't or can barely connect.  Netflix itself streams fine on the TV, our computer, other TV using chromcast, etc.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

9 years ago

This TV is configured to connect identically (i.e. same SSID, security, etc.) to the Chromecast on the other TV that streams Netflix okay?

What brand/model is this SmartTV?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Chromecast has it's own internal wifi so the settings wouldn't be the same.  But it doesn't cause any internet performance issues with other devices while in use.  The smart TV is a Visio E320i-B2 and goes over the AT&T WAP.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

In case Jeffer has stepped away-

The WAP feeds only the TV side of the Vizio. The smart side is either wired or "internet wi-fi"

TV is fed from the U-verse STB - HDMI to the TV. Smart is a network jack or wi-fi.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

9 years ago

@jtessenburgh wrote:

Chromecast has it's own internal wifi so the settings wouldn't be the same.  But it doesn't cause any internet performance issues with other devices while in use.  The smart TV is a Visio E320i-B2 and goes over the AT&T WAP.

So... you have the SmartTV plugged into the RJ45 jack on the back of a Wireless Receiver?  This is not supported and can be "a bad idea."

Since the Visio E320i-B2 has built-in wireless, I would configure it exactly the same as the Chromecast's network access.

If I have misinterpreted, please explain further.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.