For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
fig95's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Thursday, February 11th, 2010 12:21 AM

External Hard Drive

I have done some searching and I know that you can not add a external hard drive to the DVR.  I have seen post as far back as 2008 wishing for this.  Anyone know if this is in the works?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I understand the easiest way to gain more storage is to use an external storage - but the USB port doesn't have the firmware enabled for read/write capabilities.  {edited for word filter evasion}?!?!?! It's almost 2015 and DirecTV had this option over 5yrs ago!  U-Verse, this is shortsighted.

BUT.....can't we just do this instead;

1) buy a nice big 2.5" HDD to replace the original HDD

2) pop the original HDD out and clone it (any shareware would be fine) to the new nice big HDD

3) push the new drive back in to the DVR.

Voila'!  New expanded storage!

Wouldn't this work?

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

9 years ago

@touchdown_time wrote:

I understand the easiest way to gain more storage is to use an external storage - but the USB port doesn't have the firmware enabled for read/write capabilities.  {edited for word filter evasion}?!?!?! It's almost 2015 and DirecTV had this option over 5yrs ago!  U-Verse, this is shortsighted.

BUT.....can't we just do this instead;

1) buy a nice big 2.5" HDD to replace the original HDD

2) pop the original HDD out and clone it (any shareware would be fine) to the new nice big HDD

3) push the new drive back in to the DVR.

Voila'!  New expanded storage!

Wouldn't this work?

Considering that the DVR is not yours, ATT would frown upon that (and charge you around $400 if you ever had to send it back to get a new one).

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

Coming from DirecTV where I had a 2 TB eSata and never ran out of room to AT&T where I'm maxed out in 2 weeks and not happy. 

Replacing the internal hard drive seems to be the only viable option.  Has anyone tried it?  Or should I ask the question on a none AT&T forum?  Regarding the problem if you have to send it in for service couldn't you just put the old drive back?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I've got bad news for you....if you replace the drive AT&T will re-partition it back to what ever was installed.  
In other words, if you put a 4TB drive in...they can remotely access the drive and re-partition it back to 1.25TB.  Leaving you with 3TB of dead/unuseable space.
Huge reason why we dropped AT&T and went back to DirecTV.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.