For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
afitz0707's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, September 23rd, 2014 12:42 AM

Turned over to Collections??????

For two months, we have been receiving collection notices from a credit collections company claiming we owed $198 to AT&T. For two months, we have been contacting AT&T to try to figure out why we owed anything and WHY we were turned over to collections. Each time we have called, we have never been on the phone for less than two hours.

On August 25th, we contacted AT&T and spoke with several customer service reps and none of them were able to find any outstanding balance owed nor any information on the account number we gave them. We received an email from a Raven H. that same date stating AT&T would investigate the issue and get back with us.

Today, September 22nd, we received another notice from the credit collections company. We called AT&T at 5p.m. to try to get some answers. After speaking with eight different people, and being disconnected every time they "transferred us," we finally found a customer service rep, Andrea, who said, "Yes, that account number is past due and you do owe $198." Ummmm, how did Andrea, after two months of no other customer service rep being able to find the account number, all of a sudden find the account number along with the balance owed?

When we asked for an itemized statement to be sent to us, guess what? We were disconnected yet again. Finally, at 7p.m., we managed to get through to Kwan, a quite unfriendly and unapologetic service rep who said he would send us an itemized statement for that account number.

And, yet, Kwan was unable/unwilling to explain why AT&T failed to contact us, as was promised in an email from Raven H. August 25th, to inform us of their "investigation into our issue," nor was he able/willing to tell us why this account, which more than 20 customer service reps were unable to find in the last two months, was turned over to collections. So, can any of the AT&T geniuses who monitor this community forum answer those questions for me? Better yet, can we get an apology from AT&T and a call from AT&T to the credit collections company to inform them that the error was on AT&T's end????? #ATTSUX

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

I have disputed with equifax, the collection agency, & filed a complaint
with the BBB. I will try to Google for CEO information. Thank you all!

It's kind of ironic that AT&T bought (or whatever) Direct after major
lawsuits for similar scenarios, and now they are acting the same.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I am adding my self to this nightmare as well, it seems that when you call the regular cs, and mention a mistake and collections they all of a sudden start having difficulties.  Why don't they just call it Customer non-service.  The third Support person I was talking to said her computer just went down and to call back.  Does att not have enough good paying customers that they need to rob them of more money and time.  I cannot wait to be off contract with them,  I am going to the local cable and internet company, no service contracts and it is less.  Why do we trust them?  It does not pay to be good to AT&T.  Marred my credit with a made up  charge and cannot have it remedied, not even by the collection company.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I'm in the same situation as well. Such a nightmare. I was told I was sent to collections by ATT April 1st, its now June and not once have I ever received a bill from them or a letter from the collections company. Only reason I discovered this is because I decided to pull my credit report and there was the damage. I have called ATT and the collections company (diversified consultants) and I just get the run around. I am irritated beyond belief. THANK YOU ATT FOR RUINING MY CREDIT! you guys are awful and once my contract is up I will be moving to Verizon for my cell phone service. I have been with ATT for over 15 years but this relationship is OVER..................

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

You will need to file a complaint with the BBB. They will respond

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

7 years ago

I had the same problem.  I got a new job, and AT&T did not have service (despite in a city 20 minutes from Chicago with a population of 85,000!), so I got an offer from Verizon to switch.  I had a $900 balance on my AT&T account, so I paid them monthly (Verizon gave me credits on my bill so I just made monthly payments).  AT&T eventually sent me to collections for about $750, which I then called and they offered to settle the amount for less than was owed.  I agreed and paid them and received a letter stating as such.  Then, a month later I get calls and letters from a different collection agency trying to collect the difference.  I talked to them a dozen times stating that I already settled the debt, and I am still getting collection notices and now threats that they are going to report it to the credit bureau.  I have gotten nowhere with any of the companies, even after providing proof that the debt was settled. I have reached out on social media and just now filed a complaint with the BBB.  I will NEVER use or recommend AT&T to anyone!  I would rather have a trac phone or jitterbug than deal with this company again!  BTW Verizon has awesome service, and they are no longer more expensive than AT&T.  PLUS I can upgrade my phone every year!  

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

7 years ago

UPDATE.  After I wrote this post I went on the Better Business Bureau and filed a complaint.  This afternoon I get a call from the office of the President at AT&T, and guess what?  They got the collection company on the phone and they admitted that they made a mistake and did not close out the account as settled.  Because the agency settled the debt for less than the original amount, the balance got sent back to AT&T and then AT&T decided to send it to a different agency.  After 3 months of pain I am hoping this is finally over!

Also, When I cancelled with AT&T (because their service no longer worked), the billed me for the entire cost of 2 phones I had on a payment plan. I disputed that with them, and said that because Verizon is only crediting my bill, I would send in what the regular monthly payment I would be making to AT&T, and I would not be paying the balance in full.  They would not accept that, but I continued to make monthly payments until they sent me to collections with the first company.  

I fully intended on paying the balance in full, but to my surprise that agency offered to allow me to settle for 70% of the debt.  Fine by me!  And good riddance to AT&T!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Good for you! I may call the BBB, as well! You would think AT&T would be monitoring this thread on THEIR site and take care of their business. I've been with Verizon, too, since leaving AT&T. I will never ever use them again. In fact, I rarely run into anyone who is like "oh I love my AT&T!" 

[Edited to comply with Guidelines.]

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Hi, I have the same problem. I closed my AT&T account last year at the AT&T store by paying off ALL the BALANCE. I recently getting the calls from the collectors and my credit report clearly shows that they are hurting my credit! INSANE!!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

So how does this site help with a resolution to this problem. I am in the same situation almost identical. 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

You have to file a complaint with the BBB online
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.