Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
tojumikie's profile

Explorer

• 

13 Messages

Sunday, April 7th, 2013 7:31 PM

250 gB data limit for at&t?

hi, I am considering switching from Charter Communications to AT&T for internet. While i was searching Google, i came across an article that says that there is a 250 GB limit for internet. Is that true? I am a PC gamer that used 509 GB of internet last month. I did a lot of filesharing through bittorrent (324 GB) not illegal stuff, just the battlefield 4 17 minute video and daemon tools lite, along with some creative commons music shared free online by the artists, for example, dj shadow. which was the majority, and the other data was from watching 1080p gameplay videos and uploading my own gameplay videos. On charter's terms and conditions, it says 100 GB max, but everyone knows that the terms and conditions are from 2007, which need to be updated. Charter has stated in their terms and conditions that it is 250 GB max, but they have not called me nor warned me once, i guess because charter is okay with people going over 250 GB and none of my other fellow PC gamers that also have charter that go way over the limit, they have not been called by Charter once? Charter is getting a bit more expensive after 12 months, so i am thinking of changing companies. How does AT&T treat customers that go over 250 gB? Does AT&T not care, or does the worst case scenario occur and i suddenly find a huge bill coming to me? When i asked Charter about the limit all they said was not to worry about it, and i was ok

also for your gigabytes do you use binary system of measurement or easier system of measurement (1024 mB=1 gB or 1000 mB=1 gB)

Mentor

• 

48 Messages

10 years ago

@luv2uallday wrote:

This is rediculous you just admitted that you are a data hogger, without data caps in place people like you would force the carriers to raise the prices for everyone else and reduce quality of service for the majority so the minority can do whatever they want and not pay extra for it!!!!

and what's worse you want the goverment to force the ISP's to let you to continue hogging bandwitch at no additional charge or for almost nothing at all!!

I am in full support of a bandwidth cap cause of people like you.. You have a sense of entitlement that you are OWED all you can eat bandwidth. Doesn't work that way. If you get your way people like me who are NOT data hoggers will pay through the nose just so you can!!!  that's not right. in addition the ISP would be forced to make upgrades to the network to accomadate the extra traffic WHICH means higher montly rates to recoup the costs!!! then entitled people like you will then turn around and complain about the extremely high prices and the network slow down cause of it.

I work for an ISP (not At&t)  and of course a customer so i see both sides of the story.  If you want to hog bandwidth you should pay more cause you are a higher burden to the ISP you raise the cost of operation and are a detriment to your neighbors.  sorry to say but that's the truth.  ISP's are a business to make a profit not a charity to give you everything you want and desire and get only PENNIES  for it.  if you want to be a bandwidth hogger look into a business account so you will get a service and pay a FAIR price. I get soo tired of people expecting the sun moon and stars but yet expect to pay little or nothing for it in return.  can't buy a chevy and expect performance of a jaguar ain't happening keep your expectations real and you will have a easier life.

At what point do people not become data hogs?  20 years ago if I downloaded a large picture, I would be considered a data hog.  Times change as well as data needs.  Today there are more streaming services and large data requirements for the average user and therefore ISPs should keep up with that demand at the same cost. AT&T made over $30 billion in PROFIT last year, so I imagine that they can invest a little bit of that into beefing up their equipment to support the increased data demands like the rest of the world.  BTW, if it's such a strain on AT&T, why is it that Google is providing internet access through their Google fiber service which is 50 times faster with no data limit FOR THE SAME PRICE as AT&T's UVerse?  Google fiber also provides FREE internet access at AT&Ts DSL speeds, once again with no data caps.

But while you're on your pay-as-you-go soapbox, how do you feel if someone watches satellite or cable TV twice as much as another person?  Do you think they should be expected to pay twice as much?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

150 GB limit is pure Bull squeezings!  It is way easy to exceed this limit and it is NOT data hogging to double or even triple that limit!  Everything is data in today's world.  150 gb in 1995 might have been excessive.  No, this is just standard ATT greed.  Nothing has changed, just the medium.  ATT used to gouge us for long distance because they were the monopoly.  Now, DSL is the new greed medium.  Unfortunately, I am in an area that is currently only served by DSL or satellite, but we'll have cable here within the year and I will be rid of ATT in my life. 

What a stooge Luv2!  Cable providers have no limits in this area, at least.  Get a grip!  Some people read books and newspapers and go the the movies.  The rest of us get our data online. Get your head out of the 60's man.

Explorer

• 

13 Messages

10 years ago

luvu2allday the business internet is not available at my address so they can't do it. The only choice is the internet with data cap here.

our televisions are moving to 4k so why not AT&T increase their data cap so people can watch it online without worrying?

Like xdeus said, AT&T has the money to upgrade their infrastructure but they are getting too greedy. Charter is a smaller company but their data has no cap, so why can't AT&T do the same?

And you didn't state what ISP you worked for which makes me suspicious.

Explorer

• 

13 Messages

9 years ago

business is still not available... there are no options for me.. oh well...  Smiley Sad unless i want to start paying $200 month for data overages on at&t's network.

i stopped sharing torrents I still average about 500 GB a month because I watch 4k videos. nothing else I can do. Hope for a miracle I guess...

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

9 years ago

@tojumikie wrote:

business is still not available... there are no options for me.. oh well...  Smiley Sad unless i want to start paying $200 month for data overages on at&t's network.

i stopped sharing torrents I still average about 500 GB a month because I watch 4k videos. nothing else I can do. Hope for a miracle I guess...

AT&T has not enforced any caps on their data.

Mentor

• 

48 Messages

9 years ago

AT&T has not enforced any caps on their data.

Not for UVerse, but they definitely have for DSL which also has a 150GB cap instead of the potential 250GB cap for UVerse.  I imagine they did that as an incentive to get people to move to UVerse, but for many people they have no alternative at all.  DSL or nothing.  So we get shafted by having a 150GB cap forced on us on top of an outdated, slow technology.  That is if you can even get DSL.  Being that they're not expanding their DSL service, there are a lot of people that can't get a port and are stuck having to get dial up or satellite service.  Unbelievable.

And AT&T's response?  "Get our wireless service which is extremely expensive!"

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Here is the problem.  AT&T state in their internet usage service, that there is a 250 gb data limit on your internet usage, $10 for additional packets. 

What I found un-nerving was their statement that only 2% of their customers use over their alloted data.  I have to believe, that is totally false.  I have 2 children, 13 and 14, who do nothing but watch Netflix, online gaming, and sharing files via social media.  So, what AT&T is doing, is punishing the youth.  If you are old, sit on your sofa and hypnotized to a television program, you will be fine.  You won't go over your limit.  But, if you are young, want to have fun, use skype, download a movie from Netflix, do some online gaming, you WILL be chastised for it. 

I'm totally bummed, since I've been with AT&T for over 20 years, and this is where I hit the brick wall.  I also have a local cable provider, who has a cap on their DATA at 300 GB per month.  What it appear is, these companies do not want you to venture into the Netflix movies, or watch any video online, because that takes away from their television subscribers.  Well, wake up, got news for you, in 20 years, television channels and  broadcasting will be obsolete!..

Just in case a moderator reads this, you are not hearing my rant from a 20 something year old, I'm 56 and not a happy camper, that I"m going to be forced into your limitations, or pay a fine for it.  It's not just you, it's all the ISP's.  Watch my television, or ELSE!....

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Mr. Computer Joe, I actually do use my 4G sometimes, especially when power fails. But, my 4G service is through AT&T, so that does me no good.  If I can give up my cell, and move to one of those providers you just stated, I'd do it.  I will look into it, to see if they have limitations.

I think, the frustration from me and others out here is, the gaming community and those who like to watch movies from Netflix, or like me, upload my kids performances to Youtube, so their grandparents can watch, are the ones being chastised, not the old lady sitting on her couch, watching the "cooking channel"...  In my opinion, ISP's like AT&T will lose a huge customer base, when these gamers and others, either move from their mom's homes, or their present location, trying to find  a solution to the DATA querry, that is being created by our providers.  The first company that can upgrade, prepare for the year 2020, will be the company people like me, the gamers, who are looking for unlimited, as it once was, migrate to that new provider.  I would hope a company, that I"ve done business with for over 20 years, would be the leader, but I see a failure in your future. Everyone knows computer technology doubles every two years, do you expect internet usage to just stay put?  Won't happen!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

I use the new Netgear A/C 1900 Nighthawk.  What you seem to be missing the point on is, computer technology.  Every two years, we double in the computers ability to perform.  When I got my first computer in the 1990's, it had a 2 GB hard drive and a 56K dial up modem.  Now, our hard drives are SSD, better than 1TB and ISP internet speeds are over 100 mbps download speed, in some areas.  So, if the industry is increasing, the problem with your bottle neck is only going to get worse, if you can't find a way to handle the traffic, because I can tell you now, from what I have witnessed in the last 20 years, the company that can increase traffic, to handle high band with for gamers and movie watchers, will get a huge amount of your business.  It is here to stay and only ISP providers can stop it.  I don't think the other companies who make money of us gaming, will be happy with the providers, if they can't keep up.

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

9 years ago

I am a legacy DSL customer, so my data limit is only 150 gigs, and unlike U-verse dsl, they DO enforce the data cap.

The U-verse data cap of 250 gs, is not presantly enforced, and no plans to start.

A lot of internet networks are buind built up, and upgraded, especially in areas with high population density.

Alas, a LOT of the country is rural, and due to the low return on investment, (unless the upgrade is paid for by some type of government grant, local doner, or some such) they just won't do it.

I have not heard of any plans by the att/directv merger to inclue any internet satalitte plans.

Closest I have heard of is something called fixed wireless loop, or somesuch. A dedicated cell signal with a base in your home that does voip, and up to 20 mbps internet. (It comes with a monthy data cap, so not technically unlimited calling. )

Anywho, my ranbling for now. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.