Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
daystrom's profile

Teacher

• 

80 Messages

Sunday, October 4th, 2020 1:26 PM

Closed

Is this fiber on the pole?

My little city is marked as having fiber on AT&T's web site and my address shows good too. 

So I ordered Internet 1000 and it is scheduled to be installed next Friday. 

Reading up on the technology, I'm wondering if I'll have FTTP or FTTN. I don't ever recall anyone running fiber on the poles but think it's there. These photos are of the pole in front of my house. That's a fiber connection isn't it?

Former Employee

• 

22.4K Messages

4 years ago

Yes, that is an 8 post fiber terminal with 2 accounts already connected.

This will be FTTP service.

edit... if you follow the thin fiber drops, will be able to determine which neighbors currently have the service.

(edited)

Scholar

• 

3.9K Messages

4 years ago

Reading up on the technology, I'm wondering if I'll have FTTP or FTTN. I don't ever recall anyone running fiber on the poles but think it's there. These photos are of the pole in front of my house. That's a fiber connection isn't it?

Since you qualified and ordered Fiber then you have FTTP. The picture you posted is an OptiSheath® MultiPort Terminal. The Orange tag indicates it is AT&T Fiber.

A Fiber drop cable will be connected to one of the available ports and then run to the side of your house.

Dave

Teacher

• 

80 Messages

4 years ago

Looks like the one tap is coiled up next to the terminal. The other I can't follow. Would find it very hard to believe my neighbors would have any idea what fiber even was!

Thanks for the info.

Former Employee

• 

22.4K Messages

4 years ago

One fiber drop is going to the right of the pole, thin line going past the window panes... the other to the left side of pole or perhaps down the pole.

ATT has started doing copper to fiber migrations..... if a copper feed customer calls for service, the line will not be repaired. The tech will instead switch them to fiber, customer has no choice if wants to remain with ATT. They stay at there same internet speed and pricing... not an upgrade. 

Example if customer is IPDSLAM on INTERNET 5 calling for issue with their account, a tech will be dispatched to convert to fiber, their service stays at internet 5, cx is not upgraded to 1000. The customer would need to call back for the speed upgrade, entering into a new 12 month contract with $180 Early Termination Fee and the $10 a month equipment fee. 

Teacher

• 

80 Messages

4 years ago

That's good to know. Followed that run to the old fellow across the street and would imagine this was the case for him.

This is an old neighborhood with no underground lines. 

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Hey so ATT just put up a cell tower not 1000 feet I went up and asked a worker what that line he was installing for he said it was a “fiber cable” it looks nothing like the picture above tho it’s almost just a bare line (aerial) with a small post to run it pole from pole? Is this for TV or something they said it was 1500 foot ?

Scholar

• 

128 Messages

2 years ago

They JUST did Fiber install for me.  I was concerned they'd come to my house and say "no go" cause the nearest junction box in ground (these service 2-3 houses) is 500 feet away., part of a big job they'd just wrapped up 3 months ago.  However off that box, I did see they had ran a splinter one off run to a pole on my alley.  I thought there were going to run it in ground...down my alley.  They never did, I was NOT happy, I'd been waiting for years.  6 years ago, they begin all they way up my street and STOPPED 5 houses down.  I figured for sure....never happen.  Just for grins I checked availability, and ...it went through ending with an ORDER # !

Again, with no in ground boxes  nearby I through provisioning screwed up, they'd come n say sorry..bye.

But NO!, the reason they didn't run it down my alley is they put a junction on the pole  for us last 5-10 saps that had to wait for years while everyone else got it. So, then ran the light (fiber) all the way into my house terminating it ON my BGW320-500 OTN/Modem/Router.  So very likely, you will not have FTTN, FTTC, or FTTP...you will get FTINTGDH !  (fiber to inside the GS House) !!!!!  Thats as good as it gets. They use a small converter at back of modem.  I got 1 gig...and was going to immedialy go to 2 gig.     HOWEVER, word to the wise, for 2,3 or 5 gig you must have CAT5e or CAT6 RJ45 cables, the BGW320-500 has one 5gig port (works on 1,2 or 3) where ever it runs, ie another PC or hub switch, those MUST be 2, 3 or 5 gig devices, or it will bottle neck.  So I am speed tested to 1g up and down, but remember wifi will NEVER do as well as cable...maybe wifi 6 will, but I get 600meg up/down on wifi.

3 Messages

1 month ago

Okay first off whoever called an MCX fiber drop splitter a "Terminal", its not, this is a passive fiber splitter for local distribution and is used for direct FTTx drops to the end user. Second off, the orange tag does NOT mean its AT&T by default. The orange tagging is code in some places and is just for identifying markings. ALL providers use orange or light blue or black and white tagging on their stuff for ident. The code may identify it as AT&T but not just color alone. Cogent, Crown-Castle, Windstream, Comcast ALL use orange markings on their pole attached aerial fiber deployments MCI and Ameritech used black and white but then again so did all the others on occasion. 

Scholar

• 

128 Messages

1 month ago

I could not get fiber for the longest time.  for years, those green boxes they install every other house in the yard.....literally ended 4 houses down...then picked up two house up from me!! NONE for me.  Then I just happened to check on their availability site, and it said "YES".  I told them you always know if you can get it, for months prior they dig up and then install the green junction box.  I figured for SURE, they'd come out and say sorry provisioning screwed up.

Nope!! They begin putting junction boxes UP on the pole.  I'm in Dallas (middle of the city) even my friend that works at the NOC said he'd not heard of this! (this was summer of 2022).  Sure enough they ran fiber from a box up on the pole, rite to the inside of my house.  FTTP (fiber to the premise).  I finally got it. no more slow EXPENSIVE cable!.  I know, this is not what you asked...I don't know what that is in your pic (looks cable to me) but I am here to tell you it IS possible to have it from a spot up on the pole and not in the ground...I have it. and just FYI

FTTP is fiber to the premise (rite in your house, best option)

FTTC (fiber to the curb)

FTTN  (fiber to the node, those 2 foot tall round poles, usually in the alley)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.