Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
LRKing1's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, December 20th, 2018 6:02 PM

How to give feedback about a poorly handled account closure

I called in to cancel my autopay on the 11th of December from my home in London... I spent 10 minutes on hold (with international fees) only to speak to a gentleman who apparently told me he ended the account, but didn't. The Money was taken out of my account again on the 21st... I called in to speak to a customer service agent who said she would cancel it (again) and endorse a refund. She gave me the contact details for a payment supervisor, who told me there was no such authorization or even indication that I had attempted to cancel the first time. (Sorry whoever's account did get cancelled!) The payment supervisor sent me back to customer service, who then told me the account STILL HADN'T BEEN CANCELLED. I was told no hope of ever seeing the payment again, even though there has been no activity on the line since the 9th of Dec. Who knows whether the account is cancelled. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

5 years ago

@sandblaster  i just saw  account and usage i didnt notice it was the prepaid account and usage on my cell phone

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

5 years ago

click here Contact us   and use the chat option it will save you any international charges.This isnt at&t support this is a public customer forum were all just customers here same as you

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Screenshot 2018-12-20 at 19.02.31.jpg

1 Attachment

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

5 years ago

ah you didnt mention it was a prepaid phone in your post , at this point i would go into an at&t store and have them get it cancelled for you since a call failed to cancel it on 2 occasions

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

No AT&T stores in England. But thanks for trying to help. 🙂

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

5 years ago

@LRKing1

You cannot call to cancel prepaid.  Just cancel the card (and have it reissued) to stop auto charges.  

In the future, either use prepaid cards (sold in various big box and pharmacies) or remember to turn auto pay off on the account before you leave the USA. 

966243A5-0FB2-4B20-AF49-2E83584C347B.jpeg

1 Attachment

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

You actually can cancel it over the phone. All three times I spoke with them, they said they could do it... 

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

5 years ago

@LRKing1   your comment right there kinda says it all, 3 times called 3 times failed

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

5 years ago

@LRKing1

It doesn’t work (as you have noticed) on prepaid.  

We have seen neglected cancelation on postpaid accounts, which can only be canceled by porting out or calling AT&T.  

This isn’t the case with prepaid.  If you were still in the US, it would be a snap, without the inconvenience of canceling a card.  Sorry I can’t suggest a quicker or more reliable solution after the fact.  

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

@lizdance40 All the OP was attempting to do with the call was cancel autopay which is exactly what customer support instructed us to tell customers in this situation. Perhaps you remember this:

Customers in these situations need to call one of two numbers:

Outside of the U.S. - 1-314-925-6925 - The agent can call them back at their number so they don't rack up big toll charges.

Inside the U.S. -  1-800-901-9878

English and Spanish spoken.  It's possible - depending on the agent they reach - they may be transferred within the company.

Calling has worked fine for many others, I have no idea why they failed the OP three times. Totally unacceptable.

@Constructive The OP may not have originally stated they were prepaid but it is posted in the prepaid forum.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.