Need to get in touch with a Sales Representative? Talk to a Business Expert HERE .
mwiles217's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, February 9th, 2012 5:47 AM

AT&T Global Network Client Service causes local networking issues

I found that the  AT&T Global Network Client Service is responsible for networking issues on a home computer even when not running the Global Network Client.  

Symptoms include 1 Way Ping, Problems Connecting To and Setting up Windows Media Center Extender, and Remote Desktop not working.

I took both computers back to factory settings to make sure that factory settings worked and they did for Media Center, pinging and remote desktop.  My test computers are Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.  Both computers download v8 straight from the att website as to ensure latest version which is showing 8.10.0.3004 "Managed VPN Edition"

The problems occur even if you aren't actively in a remote session with the client or even have AGNS open.  Just this service being started on the computer is enough to cause issues.  Issues/Symptoms with this are:

1-Way ping.  Computer A could ping Computer B but Computer B couldn't ping Computer A.  Not sure why 1 way ping was working because I think my test case had the AT&T Global Network Client Service started on both.

Remote Desktop:  Can't remote desktop into a computer with this service installed since you can't ping it.  Test case, install AGNS through remote desktop session and your remote desktop session will stop responding part way through the install or start the service while you are remoted into the computer.

Windows Media Center/XBox.  XBox has a feature where you can connect your XBox to your computer.  They call this adding an extender.  Running through the steps you can see the XBox in your network places.  However, going through the steps to set it up it will constantly say "Unable to find extender".  All instructions pointed to open firewalls on the computer and router but that did not work.  It finally installed when I did a factory reboot of both computers this weekend before installing AGNS.  I noticed that Media Center on TV stopped responding during AGNS install.  Can duplicate non-responsives by stopping and starting this service.

But as soon as you disable/stop  the AT&T Global Network Client Service, all the issues go away and everything works as expected.

Possible quick and dirty fix:

Start the service when the Global Client launches and stop the service on exiting and set the service setting to Manual so it doesn't automatically start on bot and so it doesn't interfere with home networking issues when not connected to an active session.

Longer fix/better fix:

Investigate why this service is blocking these networking functions and see if there is any way that both networks can be accessed simultaneously (both home and work).  It would be nice to be able to Listen to music the Media Center through my stereo system while I work.

Regards,

Mike 

If you need further information, please email me:

{edited}

Moderator: Your post has been edited due to personal information.  Please follow all guidelines when participating in the Business Community.  The Community Guidelines can be found HERE.

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

12 years ago

Mike,

The AT&T Global Network Client comes with a built-in stateful firewall.  On Windows Vista and Windows 7, it actually uses the Microsoft firewall engine.  If you do want want the firewall enabled so your computer can accept unsolicited inbound connections, disable the firewall by running the Firewall Settings app from Start->All Programs->AT&T Global Network Client->Firewall Settings.  Click the Turn Off button and the firewall will be disabled and will not block any unsolicited incoming connections.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Using windows 7 pro 64bit I have the same issue except the WIndows fire walls are all off and the AT&T global network client's fire wall is also off. The only way to get around this is to disable the "NetSP - Restore settings on power failure" in MSConfig under your startup options or uninstall the client.

Not finding what you're looking for?