For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
JannaLY's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Monday, October 13th, 2014 6:44 PM

confused about downloading app games and music

I've had cell phones before, but my first with a smartphone.  I need a phone more to have if needed when out and for emergencies.  Went with the prepaid as I won't be talking or texting much, but do want to have the option to download some games or music. 

Read that with the wi-fi I won't need data to get the apps I want.  But, not sure on how it works in the area of playing the games, listening to music. 

Does it eat up my minutes, if I am downloading at home, with my wi-fi, can I still be changed for data usage, even though I took the lower one, $25, that doesn't have a data plan? 

If out and want to download something at a local business that offers wi-fi, can the phone use data without my knowing it and I be charged for data?

Are there hidden costs in the apps, advertisements and such, that will cost me minutes and data which I will then be charged for?

I am lost in the technological age; sheeesh, I remember when we had a party line on the family home phone. 

Thanks for any help that can be given

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@JannaLY wrote:

I've had cell phones before, but my first with a smartphone.  I need a phone more to have if needed when out and for emergencies.  Went with the prepaid as I won't be talking or texting much, but do want to have the option to download some games or music. 

Read that with the wi-fi I won't need data to get the apps I want.  But, not sure on how it works in the area of playing the games, listening to music. 

Does it eat up my minutes, if I am downloading at home, with my wi-fi, can I still be changed for data usage, even though I took the lower one, $25, that doesn't have a data plan? 

If out and want to download something at a local business that offers wi-fi, can the phone use data without my knowing it and I be charged for data?

Are there hidden costs in the apps, advertisements and such, that will cost me minutes and data which I will then be charged for?

I am lost in the technological age; sheeesh, I remember when we had a party line on the family home phone. 

Thanks for any help that can be given

Data and minutes are separate. Downloading anything whether via wifi or cellular data does not use any minutes. Since you don't even have the cellular data option, you won't be able to download anything over the cellular network, only wifi. So, no you won't be charged anything extra since you won't be able to download over the cellular network. If you decide to upgrade your plan to include data, then downloading via the cellular network would simply count against however much data you get each month.

Depending on the app, yes there may be hiden costs (from in-app purchases) but not any costs for minutes or data since you don't have cellular data. If you do add cellular data to your plan, any app may use that data when you are not on wifi and again, no extra charges, the app would simply be using the data you added to your plan.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the info,  I love to do reseach, but sometimes it is a bit conflicting. 

I think I will get an SD card and store on it the games I have been checking out and some classical music, I read where I can take the CDs I have and download them onto the SD card. 

I'lll turn back on the wi-fi (my son insists for security reasons not to have it on; like we having anything to steal) and download "stuff"  Smiley Happy  

Thaks again for the help

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.