Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Troubleshoot your device issues
Melsky693's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Saturday, November 15th, 2014 12:37 PM

Lumia 1520 Over heated and melted case AT&T won't cover under warranty HELP!!!

This morning I woke up and went to make a call only to see that my NEW phone (which I love) melted at the bottom, next to the charging port...just enough so I can't charge it. It wasn't plugged in, no one was using it nothing near it and I've only had it since May. I've called Nokia and havent heard back.  I spent 2 hours at the AT&T store on the phone with the warranty people only for them to tell me that it's NOT covered under warranty because it has physical damage.  There was a malfunction with THEIR phone, but they won't cover it under warranty????  WHY??  The employees all said it looks like there was a mini explosion inside the phone that melted the case outward and  the only way it could've happened was the phone malfunctioned.  It couldn't have been plugged in because the charger can't get into the phone because of the melted plastic.  I only have my Lumia 1520 because in May 2014 after charging my Lumia 920 for 15 minutes I smelled burning plastic.  It got so hot it burned me, but when I pulled out the usb cord, part of the port came with it!!  I'm lucky my house didn't catch fire!!  They wouldn't replace that one either because of physical damage. Their phones malfunction and I have to pay the insurance deductible even though they were both under warranty??  PLEASE, How do I get them to take care of this???  

BTW... Wasn't having any issues before this.  Cyan updated fine, windows 8.1 updated fine.  The only thing I noticed was after some updates the time out for the screen wouldn't work if youtube was on but paused and it used to.

100_4173.JPG

close up.JPG

100_4196-closeup.jpg

3 Attachments

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

I also forgot to mention that according to the Warranty department "their systems and programs" show no known problems with overheating on either the Lumia 920 or the Lumia 1520. Even though I can find them all over the internet including Windows Central and pretty much every search engine out there.  Smiley Mad  

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

I just have a simple question.  I have had 2 phones both Windows Phones that have both over heated and melted.  One was charging for 15 minutes or less and one was doing nothing, not  even plugged in to charge or even near electricity.  In both cases AT&T said they wouldn't cover the phones under their warranty even though they were well within the time period.  The reason was that they were damaged.  Both times the store employees stated that they "SHOULD BE" covered since they were obviously damaged by the phones being defective.  Warranty dept warns you that they "can" try to do it under warranty, but that if it get's to the warehouse and see it's damaged I will be charged the FULL price of the phone.  The phones are covered due to "normal" wear and tear.  This was normal at least on my part.  I mean I wasn't out juggling my phone outside in a thunderstorm or anything.  I just feel like AT&T is not holding up their end of the deal.  Has this happened to anyone else?  Does anyone have another way to fix this(on the new phone) or how to get into contact with someone at Nokia who can actually do something(day 3 of waiting for an e-mail from Nokia so I can send photos of the phone).  Here are pics of both phones.  Blue lumia920 and Red Lumia 1520.

100_4196-closeup.jpg

100_4173.JPG

100_4090.JPG

100_4089.JPG

4 Attachments

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

Although I couldn't get any help through AT&T with my phone.  I did receive help through microsoft and they replaced my phone free of charge (including shipping) under the warranty.  They were so helpful and totally understood especially when seeing the pictures that the issue was not my fault.  They provided excellent service.  If I have another issue while my phone is under warranty I will call Microsoft, not AT&T since they gave me nothing but a hard time.  

THIS IS RESOLVED...YAY!!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.