For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help connecting your router?
timro's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Friday, September 26th, 2014 1:18 AM

Access Point behind Uverse RG never works properly

I am losing my mind over trying to get a wireless access point to function behind uverse gateways. I just got the new motorola nvg589 and I finally got wifi to work on my router in access point mode but it is so slow. It's an Asus n66u in AP mode with a fixed IP from the gateway. Wired speeds seem to be fine but wifi is extremely slow.

My old 2wire gateway was worse because wifi from the AP would cut out after a few minutes. I have searched and read a ton of forum posts from different sites and nothing has worked. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

10 years ago

Do you have U-verse TV?  Do you have your TV receivers connected through your Asus?  If so, connect the TV receivers directly to the RG.

If not, then try connecting the cable from the RG into a LAN port of your Asus and see if that changes the equation.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

I do have Uverse TV however I am not able to plug in my main dvr receiver to the RG because I need to connect the router/AP to the gateway. I have tried using just the LAN ports on the AP and the same problems occure. I feel that it should not matter because in AP mode the router is setup to connect to the RG through the WAN port.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

10 years ago

I have doubts about ASUS's implementation of AP mode and whether it matches my expectation of what an AP mode should be, but...

In any case, I do not believe that your ASUS device is performing IGMPv3 snooping on the packets it's passing back and forth from the RG to the DVR.  As such, it doesn't know that the multicast being sent to it by the RG only need to go to the port on which the DVR is connected.  Thus, it also sends that traffic to all other ports, AND broadcasts them wirelessly.  Since multicast traffic doesn't have retry provisions, wireless devices go into very-reliable (that is to say VERY SLOW) mode to send it.  And there's a lot of it (6 Mbps for an HD channel), so between those two things, your wireless traffic slows to a crawl.

You cannot successfully place a DVR/STB on the same RG leg as a Wireless Router/Access Point.  

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Ok I will try this later, means I will have to pick up an inexpensive switch to keep in the main room because the RG is in one of the back rooms.

My wired connections are fine and seem to be at full speed but you're saying only the wireless connections would be affected by this?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

So that seems to have fixed the problem, thank you.

Unfortunately this means I will have to run another cable under the house for the asus router because the 5ghz wireless does not reach the front room from the back room where the RG is located. 

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

10 years ago

That OR you have to buy two somewhat more expensive switches (at least $55) with the ability to do VLAN tagging.  Then you plug two RG ports into two ports in one switch configure it so tagged traffic is passed through the Ethernet cable to the far room and then split back out by the second switch to a port for your TV and a different port for your Asus.  Then you have extra ports on both ends you can connect to either VLAN.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.