Posted Dec 6, 2011
7:07:28 PM
View profile
Confirmed: vip2250 fixes surround sound audio dropouts!

I had a vip1225 hooked up via HDMI to an Onkyo receiver (HT-S8400 to be specific) and I had problems with audio dropouts on surround.  Every few seconds, for a fraction of a second, the audio would drop.  It drove me nuts and I tried everything to fix it.. I tried different (new) HDMI cables, and even a different home theater system!   In the end, I had to keep it on stereo.

I went over and over this with UVerse support.  They kept wanting to send me to the paid support line for help configuring my home theater system and out of four techs I spoke to, none ackowledged hearing anything about audio dropouts over HDMI with surround.  In fact, they kept insisting that I plug the HDMI straight to the TV and I kept having to explain my TV is a stereo device, not a surround device so it's not a good test.  They also immediately started jumping on the bandwagen saying surround sound is out of scope.  I saw a couple of posts about the vip2250 fixing this issue but none of the techs would entertain that idea.

Finally I pled my case to a very nice agent in billing who had to go WAY out of her way to get me a vip2250.  Hooked it up and sure enough all audio dropout problems are resolved!

127 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
Replies
(127)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2011 6:56:29 AM
(0)
Teacher

SomeJoe7777 called it correctly (so far :smileywink:)...I received my new Cisco ISB7500 yesterday to replace my older silver receiver Cisco that couldn't hold the Surround Sound...Stereo worked fine in Digital Audio Output...

this puts an end to a 4 year battle with AT&T and countless Tech appointments (both kept and not kept by AT&T) as well as me purchasing component, HDMI cables as well as even changing my Home Theater receiver and television in hopes some combination would fix the issue...

...except for an issue with the DVR "unplugged or restarting" (it wasn't :smileyvery-happy:)  Shannel in Tier 1 Tech Support was able to reboot from AT&T and everything seems to be working as I thought it would when I switched to U-verse four years ago...

Thanks everyone here for your information and to SomeJoe7777 for the moral support...

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays,

Bill

Re: Confirmed: vip2250 fixes surround sound audio dropouts!

31 of 128 (3,075 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2011 9:27:24 AM
(0)
Expert
Glad it's fixed! What's the make and model of your AV receiver?

32 of 128 (3,065 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2011 2:37:27 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks!...I left the TV on today all day as it would work before for awhile and then quit...over 8 hours now and no more sound drop off...

I was using an Outlaw 1050 but am now using a Panasonic SA-XR55...works like a charm with it on or off (with it on, I can see how many speakers are getting the signal from the Cisco Receiver)...I am very pleased thus far...thanks for the help and support...

Bill

33 of 128 (3,046 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2011 6:15:49 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by mtsindy on Dec 22, 2011 at 6:46:03 AM

rambler358 wrote:
Mine seems to be fixed as well with the 2250, but I also have an Onkyo receiver.  However, something new I'm seeing with the 2250 is an HDMI error message that briefly shows on screen when I start my AV setup.  It then quickly disappears and I have no problem.  I have HDMI out from the 2250 going into my receiver, and then to the TV.  Everything starts up automatically with a Logitech remote. 

I see the exactly the same behavior occasionally on startup.  In my case, my Logitech Harmony powers up my LG LCD, then my Yamaha AVR, then my Motorola VIP1225 DVR.  It seems like depending upon how quickly the components come on, and how efficiently the handshakes are processed, I will sometimes get an error.  I have tried powering up the 3 components in various orders, but no permutation completely eliminates the occasional errors (which don't even rise to the level of an annoyance).  

I read somewhere that the "proper" order of bootup for HDMI handshakes is to work backward from the end of the line, in this case, the TV.  I am curious if any of the experts out here could confirm or dispute that advice....

[ Edited ]
34 of 128 (3,018 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2011 12:38:57 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Ones on Dec 22, 2011 at 1:07:17 PM

Powering up the TV first could reduce that error display, however if your TV is slow to start up you'll still see it sometime.

Usually slowest to fastest start up with timed delay, would fix something like this.

Some AVR's can be configured to use an HDMI port in a pass-through mode, maybe that might help.

You are using a VIP1225 a slow DVR (resuming DVR services after sleep capability adds more lag time.) which always increases the probability. If you have a VIP1200 try that box instead, because there is no complex moving parts related I/O operations it's faster, just enough.

I ask this because it matters, Is Your DVR's software updated to 2.1.2295.10?

(Menu button on remote, scroll to Options, press OK on highlighted System Options.)

You've tried almost all the ways, you probably don't want to use component video.

[ Edited ]
35 of 128 (3,003 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2011 4:36:12 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by mtsindy on Dec 22, 2011 at 4:38:41 PM

Ones wrote:

You are using a VIP1225 a slow DVR (resuming DVR services after sleep capability adds more lag time.) which always increases the probability. If you have a VIP1200 try that box instead, because there is no complex moving parts related I/O operations it's faster, just enough.

I ask this because it matters, Is Your DVR's software updated to 2.1.2295.10?

(Menu button on remote, scroll to Options, press OK on highlighted System Options.)

You've tried almost all the ways, you probably don't want to use component video.

Yes, the DVR (and all our STBs) are running 2.1.2295.10.  That has significantly improved the response time to commands from the stock U-verse remote on the VIP1200 STBs.  

As far as the occasional HDMI error (which always resolves itself in one or two seconds), it's really not a bother.  I only see it 1 or 2 times a week.  I agree that it would be ideal if the Harmony could include a delay between device startup commands, as I think you are correct in that the DVR is the slow to come up to speed.

UPDATE:  Not interested in going to component, since my Yamaha (YHT-S400) doesn't have an unused optical input, and I'd rather not drop back to stereo.

[ Edited ]
36 of 128 (2,989 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2011 7:51:27 PM
(0)
Mentor

A couple more non-Onkyo confirmations are in order, but once we have that out of the way I think we can finally offically call this one "resolved".  :smileyhappy:

I am thrilled that AT&T fixed it on the newest generation of equipment, but bummed that it means the only fix available involves a DVR swap.  Even at that, I tried passing this info along to AT&T support and they are not receptive to it.  Tried two techs who said they have never heard of anyone having any audio dropout problems.

Who knows how many people are just dealing with the inability to use surround sound via HDMI, completely unaware there is a possible solution out there.  I had to fight tooth and nail and AT&T support kept trying to send me to ConnecTech, a paid service that would have had little chance of solving my problem.

For the good of others, I'd ask the mods and major contributers who have contacts at AT&T to try to get this information passed up the foodchain.   Thanks and merry christmas all!

37 of 128 (2,979 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 23, 2011 7:35:18 AM
(0)
Scholar

Ok, May you not have any show stopping problems. :smileylol:

38 of 128 (2,968 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2012 3:41:30 PM
(0)
Contributor

:smileyvery-happy: The technician just left my home after installing the vip2250.  Sound dropout problem solved! 

It only took two days going back and forth with tech support on the phone and two technician visits to get the vip2250.

I told the last tech that the vip2250 solved the problems of others in this forum so he reluctantly hooked one up to my system and it worked.:smileyvery-happy: 

I have the Onkyo TX-NR609 and a sharp 60" led. All sources goes through the avr and everything including the vip2250, in surround mode, is working as it should.

Thanks the info on this forum really helped!!!

39 of 128 (2,887 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2012 5:49:48 PM
(0)
Expert

Thanks for your report!  Glad to hear this is a fix for several people.

Now IF it is confirmed to fix the dropouts for ALL receiver brands, will ATT willingly, at no extra charge, swap out DVRs for this model?   And it's not available in all markets. :smileysad:

jdenn61 wrote:

:smileyvery-happy: The technician just left my home after installing the vip2250.  Sound dropout problem solved! 

It only took two days going back and forth with tech support on the phone and two technician visits to get the vip2250.

I told the last tech that the vip2250 solved the problems of others in this forum so he reluctantly hooked one up to my system and it worked.:smileyvery-happy: 

I have the Onkyo TX-NR609 and a sharp 60" led. All sources goes through the avr and everything including the vip2250, in surround mode, is working as it should.

Thanks the info on this forum really helped!!!

40 of 128 (2,875 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2012 8:01:02 PM
(0)
Expert
Of course, we're getting a number of reports that the VIP2250 and ISB7500 receivers will spontaneously reboot on occasion, apparently when they're connected via HDMI.

So for the time being, it seems that we may have swapped one problem for another.

41 of 128 (2,972 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2012 8:46:58 PM
(0)
Expert

Cannot win. :smileysad:

42 of 128 (2,970 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2012 10:12:38 PM
(0)
Scholar

I'm wracking my brain as to what it could be... lemme find a wall :robotfrustrated:

this is off topic..

Do you think the SOC could have a design problem?  Have you opened one up to test for cold solder points?

or does AT&T need to release a software patch?? or is it electromagnetic interference (the Sun)?!

On topic

Congratulations to those people who's audio is now rendered beautifully!

43 of 128 (2,964 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2012 10:12:16 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Ender519 on Jan 3, 2012 at 10:18:17 AM

I've heard the same thing about reboots, but have never experienced it.  My vip2250 has never rebooted and works pretty well.  I do note that it runs hotter than the vip1225, though it's not too hot to leave your palm on the top of the unit - before Uverse days I had Dish Network and you could've literally cooked food on top of their DVR it ran so hot!

I'd be interested to know if the people experiencing random reboots have the DVR in an enclosed space like behind glass in an entertainment system - maybe it's overheating?  Mine sits in an open air TV stand with several inches of space on top and to each side, and no problems so far!

As to the sound fix, the majority of people here have Onkyo, but we did have one report of another person with non-Onkyo who this worked for.  I'm looking for another few non-Onkyo receivers.

As to whether support will replace these DVR's en masse, I'm guessing no since they currently do not even admit the HDMI surround sound is a problem.  Their support shows a profound lack of understanding as to how the surround sound works (i.e. repeated attempts at getting me to run it through my TV for surround when it's a stereo device, or switch to component video and optical stereo), and it is clear that at present, they do not provide support for any sound problems when you run it through a receiver.  They keep trying to get you to use their paid general support which by the way would have NO hope of fixing your issue, they would just call it a receiver issue and move on!

I think the only people right now who will benefit from this are the few people who manage to get to this forum or if they are lucky enough to type the right keywords into google.  I'd love AT&T to at least acknowledge the problem but it sure won't be on my account - we need someone more linked in to higher brass at AT&T.  Also, I doubt they will want to incur the expense of replacing DVR's like this.  I think I got lucky because I was on U450 and so had some latitude.  If you have U200 or U300 I don't know if they would be so willing to replace the DVR.

For now, if you are looking for a fix, go to support first.  When they inevitably turn you down or fight you on this, have them notate on your account that you tried everything and couldn't get it working, and then approach billing.

[ Edited ]
44 of 128 (2,950 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2012 10:19:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I also have a Motorola VIP 2250 connected by HDMI cable, and I have not experienced any random reboots.  My DVR is also well ventilated.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

45 of 128 (2,946 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2012 5:03:42 PM
(0)
Scholar

Yeah, my second is now in a huge gaping void.

46 of 128 (2,932 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2012 5:08:15 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Ones on Jan 3, 2012 at 5:10:57 PM

Hi Ender519, you can put the food you'd like to roast or slow cook under the bottom of the VIP2250. :robotlol:

If I think it's necessary, I'll add tags to postings

[ Edited ]
47 of 128 (2,931 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2012 9:40:31 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks to all of you my audio HDMI dropout problem is gone. I just got the Motorola VIP2250 after jumping through some hoops to get it and WOW what a difference. No more HDMI audio dropouts and the 5.1 Dolby Digital is awesome. There is also a 500 GB hard drive instead of the 160 GB in the VIP1216 that I had before. I am using a Marantz AV8003 processor. I had borrowed a Cary Audio Cinema 12 from a friend of mine and had HDMI stutter and audio drop outs with it also when I was using a Motorola VIP 1200. There is also a Motorola VIP2200 (without DVR) but I was told by Tier 2 that they do not have it yet. I suspect that the VIP 2200 will also correct the HDMI dropout problem.

My previous work around had been to use the toslink digital output from my Motorola VIP1216 to my Marantz AV8003 as that did not have any audio dropouts but my preference was to use HDMI audio to my Marantz processor and now I can. Thanks again to all of you.

48 of 128 (2,841 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2012 12:05:00 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have vip2250 connected to Plasma Panasonic TV via Onkyo TX-SR674 using HDMI cable.  My problem is that when I turn on my TV and audio receiver it takes 10mins before the sound and picture is displayed on the TV.  I am not sure how to troubleshoot this issue.  On vip2250 green light, yellow light and blue light are ON from the beginning which indicates that everything is normal on the receiver.  I was wondering if it has to do with some sort of HDMI handshaking between the devices.  I appreciate any help or comments on this issue.  Thanks.

49 of 128 (2,806 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2012 12:52:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
go4gusto - 10 minutes is certainly ridiculous.
You can try connecting directly to the TV. You have two HDMI cables. Try both to see if one is a problem. You can try analog connection between the STB and the receiver.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

50 of 128 (2,797 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 1:59:47 PM
(0)
Contributor

I installed the VIP 2250 Thursday night, took about an hour, the box could not connect to the Uverse system for some reason. Eventually, once I was online with tech support, it worked. Have been having the same rebooting problem every day since then. The box is in an enclosed area, but has all the suggested clearances that were in the instructions. This is my fourth box in less than a year, so I was glad to get the upgrade without having to pay more. It is hooked via HDMI, Can't believe it is overheating, since we only watch it for 4-5 hours a day, and it arbitrairily picks a rebooting time, not necessarily at the longest period of usage. Is this possibly a softwre glitch that might be resolved in the near future? Otherwise, very pleased.

51 of 128 (3,058 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 2:04:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I also have a Motorola VIP 2250 connected to an HDTV using an HDMI cable.  It is not in an enclosed are, and I have not noticed any real overheating.  I also do not experience any periodic rebooting of the the box.

52 of 128 (3,055 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 2:07:48 PM
(0)
Scholar

Mine doesn't reboot, but will just freeze instead which then requires a reset.  I can only think that once summer arrives, and folks with the VIP-2250 that don't have A/C are going to be experiencing a lot more issues.  My box 2250 does get pretty warm, even in the cool temps we're having right now.

53 of 128 (3,054 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 2:12:42 PM
(0)
Contributor

I should clarify, mine doesn't reboot either, either freezes or everything just disappears, then have to restart it manually. I've done a factory restore, still happens.

54 of 128 (3,052 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2012 8:55:29 AM
(0)
Contributor
I have a 2250. It still has a dropout. And now there is a three second audio delay when changing channels. AT&T SERVICE IS ATROCIOUS! No solutions despite hours on the phone with tech support.

55 of 128 (2,963 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2012 8:56:45 AM
(0)
Contributor
NO IT DOESN'T. STILL HAVING PROBLEM. I WISH I COULD SWITCH PROVIDERS.

56 of 128 (2,963 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2012 8:12:58 AM
(0)
Mentor

The three second delay (at least on my system) is the negotiation for surround sound between U-Verse and the home theater, and is completely normal.  As for the dropouts, I haven't experienced a single one since switching the vip2250, so not sure what's going on there.  Beyond the obvious stuff (different HDMI cable), you can try tweaking settings on your home theater system, or failing that, you may be able to run optical TOSlink surround sound and change the HDMI input to use that sound instead on your receiver.

57 of 128 (2,942 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 28, 2012 9:57:05 PM
(0)
Tutor
The VIP 2250 fixed my audio dropouts!! I still have the 2 second delay of sound while switching channels though but that's alright. I have a Onkyo NR-609 and I'm watching everything in 5.1. It was very easy for me to convince tech support to send me a new replacement for my VIP 1225. It's much more smaller and matches with all my other components that are black. However it gets warm VERY slightly. It's not very hot because it's in an open space, but it's definetely warmer than the VIP 1225. Hope this helps.

58 of 128 (2,894 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2012 5:08:37 AM
(0)
Teacher

sound drop offs have been cured with the new receiver but I swapped that for lock ups and reboots about once a day using HDMI...last night I swapped out for the RGB and separate (analog) audio...I'll see if this stops the lock ups...picture right now is quite a bit "redder" and the sound is louder (but may be because the red/white analog audio isn't surround...

Bill

59 of 128 (2,850 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2012 5:11:23 AM
(0)
Teacher
mine is the Cisco ISB7500...

Bill

60 of 128 (2,849 Views)