Posted Mar 8, 2013
Unlocked phone that does not require a data plan

Hi,

I'm thinkin got buy a unlocked phone, but I do not want to be charged for a data plan. I heard that there was a list of the list of unlocked phones that do not require a data plan. Do you know where I can find it?

Thanks.

Unlocked phone that does not require a data plan

26 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
Replies
(26)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 9, 2013
(0)

There's no such list. A rough rule of thumb is that any iPhone, Blackberry, Android and Windows-based phone will require a data plan and other phones won't.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Unlocked phone that does not require a data plan

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 9, 2013
(0)

There is no list.  I ahve looked around online and I have found some web sites that sell unlocked phones.  I will send you a private message with the link to one of those sites.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 9, 2013
(0)

callie.crk.kuczek wrote:

There is no list.  I ahve looked around online and I have found some web sites that sell unlocked phones.  I will send you a private message with the link to one of those sites.

what will it matter? A smartphone, locked or unlocked requires a data plan, if you don;t add one and it is detected it will be added - and there is nothing that can be done. the carrier is wll within their rights to add the required feature

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 9, 2013
(0)

wingrider01 wrote:

callie.crk.kuczek wrote:

what will it matter? A smartphone, locked or unlocked requires a data plan, if you don;t add one and it is detected it will be added - and there is nothing that can be done. the carrier is wll within their rights to add the required feature

My smartphone is an unlocked one...and wingrider01 is correct...locked or unlocked..ATT detects that you are using one, they will add a data plan.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 13, 2013
(0)

wingrider01 wrote:

As far as I can tell nobody was asking about smartphones. The OP specifically asked about phones that don't require a data plan. Why add confusion? There are plenty of unlocked phones out there that don't require a data plan, such as Nokia Asha line — I'm sure there are others as well.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 28, 2013
(0)

If I buy a phone that requires a data plan from Amazon, that AT&T is not offering any more or unlocked from another carrier, will AT&T charge me for a data plan?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 28, 2013
(0)

joedw00 wrote:

If I buy a phone that requires a data plan from Amazon, that AT&T is not offering any more or unlocked from another carrier, will AT&T charge me for a data plan?

Yes, they will. ATT will detect that it is a smartphone and they will add an appropriate data plan. 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 28, 2013
(0)

Well that S--ks

Thank for the quick reply.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 28, 2013
(0)

joedw00 wrote:

Well that S--ks

Thank for the quick reply.

No problem...and you're welcome. 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 28, 2013
(0)

what about nokia n8, n9, or nokia 808 pureview ?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 28, 2013
(0)

wuerty wrote:

what about nokia n8, n9, or nokia 808 pureview ?

ANY smartphone used on ATT's network requires a data plan. Since the ones you mention are all smartphones, yes, any of those would require a data plan. 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 28, 2013
(0)

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 28, 2013
(0)

wuerty wrote:

really? i just found this topic that says otherwise http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1792837-Nokia-808-data-plan-on-At-amp-t?p=15088116#post15...

...and here are the full specs on the Nokia 808 Smartphone

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_808_pureview-4577.php

...it still requires a data plan..no matter what. If you try using it without a data plan, ATT WILL detect it as a smartphone and add one for you. You can not use a dumbphone data plan on it like someone is saying in your link.

The only way I know of is to use it on a Prepaid plan and only use wifi..that is the only way it wouldn't require a data plan.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 28, 2013
(0)

how is the detection on att prepaid different in regards to the phone?  i wonder why one would detect it and one would not. or are you referring to other prepaid companies?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2013
(0)

wuerty wrote:

how is the detection on att prepaid different in regards to the phone?  i wonder why one would detect it and one would not. or are you referring to other prepaid companies?

gophones have different requirements then those on a normal contract

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 9, 2013
(0)

wuerty wrote:

really? i just found this topic that says otherwise http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1792837-Nokia-808-data-plan-on-At-amp-t?p=15088116#post15...

Historically AT&T hasn't been very good at detecting Symbian phones, don't know about Meego. That being said, as it is a smartphone, it does require a smartphone data plan, and you should be prepared that AT&T may detect that you're breaking their rules and add one.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 6, 2013
(0)
yes it can be done. here is what my friend did she bought her sony xeperia from india, turn off data and now she is using it on att for the past 2 yrs w/o any problem just as phone. she has wifi in school and at work so she is happy with this setup. i think one has to buy smartphone

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 19, 2013
(0)
I would think that a device that does not have an at&t IMEI number would not be recognized as long as you don't use data on their network or at&t's network does not recognize the user agent id of the device's browser if you do use data.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 26, 2013
(0)

I recently bought a sony xperia z1 which is model c6903 and its unlocked phone. I have 2 lines(one is with data plan, anotherone does not have data plan.) with att. It does not support att LTE but I had to chat with someone from att to get their APN to use their Hspa+ and I gave them my phone's IMEI. Just wanna to know if I use this phone with my another line the one does not have data plan on. Will att detected this is smartphone and add data plan to it?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 26, 2013
(0)
If AT&T can determine that the phone is a smartphone, they will automatically add the data plan. There is no guarantee either way. It may take a few day or months to determine if it is a smartphone or they may never. No one knows. The only way is to try it and find out.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 20, 2014
(0)

I recently put my SIM in a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 only to find that AT&T detected it and tried to add a data plan.

That was very much to my surprise, considering the phone is definitely not originally an AT&T device and the phone has a custom ROM, so it's not some software that is reporting itself to AT&T.

I assumed they are detecting phones based on their IMEI from a database, but I'm starting to suspect they use a different method.  I can't imagine what that would be.  Perhaps Samsung just handed over their entire smartphone IMEI list to AT&T.

I heard somewhere that you can actually have AT&T block data entirely and then use a smartphone with only wireless ethernet.  Seems a little silly to get 16 hours of battery life on a smartphone when you could get 4-5 days on a dumb phone, though.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 20, 2014
(0)

buglebug wrote:

I recently put my SIM in a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 only to find that AT&T detected it and tried to add a data plan.

That was very much to my surprise, considering the phone is definitely not originally an AT&T device and the phone has a custom ROM, so it's not some software that is reporting itself to AT&T.

I assumed they are detecting phones based on their IMEI from a database, but I'm starting to suspect they use a different method.  I can't imagine what that would be.  Perhaps Samsung just handed over their entire smartphone IMEI list to AT&T.

I heard somewhere that you can actually have AT&T block data entirely and then use a smartphone with only wireless ethernet.  Seems a little silly to get 16 hours of battery life on a smartphone when you could get 4-5 days on a dumb phone, though.

That is in the terms, as far as blocking data they will not do that on a smartphone, if you want a smartphone with no data plan use it with a gophone plan

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 22, 2014
(0)

That's changed. On the new Mobileshare value plans, data block has been enabled. Temporary blocking is available to customer via the website or the app, but indefinite blocking is available to agents.

You still get billed for smartphone charges.

Smart limits has also been fixed, supposedly anyways to limit smartphones now too

-Alex

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 7, 2014
(0)
If you use the default browser on any smartphone while you are on their network, that browser will send a
user agent id that will let them know what operating system your device is using. If you don't use data on their network or use a different browser, the only way they would be able to identify the phone would be the IMEI.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 8, 2014
(0)

I'm not sure why you discounting that, the imei easily able to be backtracked to the phone model, and smartphone/basic phone distinction.

-Alex

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 8, 2014
(0)
I have used several smartphones (symbian OS & windows mobile) on at&t's network with an unlimited non-smartphone data plan. Using the IMEI alone won't work if at&t doesn't know what the device is, specifically ones that they don't sell. The user agent id of any web browser will tell them what browser you are using as well as the operating system that the browser is running on. Mobile devices also include additional information to help identify the device itself, which is also used by 3rd party websites to display content that is compatible with the device.